Mariner_09
February 1, 2023, 4:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from mimma
Wickham will surely go back to the veggies if he can't find a team higher. They can afford his wages.

He'll probably end up and Wrexham!!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 117
RonMariner
February 1, 2023, 4:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,821
Gold Stars: 226
Disappointment comes when reality falls short of expectation.

In this case many of us were hoping to sign Dallas, and the posts which mistakenly claimed he had signed lead us to believe that he had.  So when it emerged that he wasn't coming, added to the Malarkey milarky,  it gave the impression that the club had failed to get these deals over the line.

Well, it is what it is. For me the most important thing now is to secure L2 status and then aim to build the squad further in the summer. The fact is that we are not safe yet. You often see a club plunge into relegation from an apparently safe position. I remember one season, 2011 I think when Lincoln were on 40 points with ten games to go and looked safe. They got one point in those ten games and went down.  It certainly stopped one particular imp poster from gloating for a while, but it should act as a warning sign that 16th place on 30 points is by no means a safe harbor.

I think signing Dallas would certainly have us looking up rather than down the table. However, our situation following the window is as follows. To the squad that performed so well at Luton we can add in O'Neil, Amos, MacAtee, Wearne, Lloyd, Peters, and Emmanuel for the coming league games. (the latter two also available for the Cup game).  

I think that is a squad with plenty of options and it should be able to start picking up wins in L2. So I am confident that we will stay up, which realistically will be an ok result given that most of of players were playing in the NL last season.      
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 117
pontoonlew
February 1, 2023, 4:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from ginnywings

How many more times are you going to point out that you were right all along, only to be "shouted down"?

I'm also not sure that the board "promised" to strengthen every window. Stated aim maybe.

Now some may say we are no stronger now than before the window, but that is arguable and yet to be determined. I think the new signings look a bit stronger than those that went out, especially Emmanuel, who could be another Townsend in his impact.

The players who went out were mainly ineffective and no great loss. Richardson the pick of the bunch, but couldn't get past his injuries enough.

I get that a lot of fans are disappointed, and many are looking over their shoulders, with recent form being worrying, but the same players started the season in pretty good form. They have showed themselves to be pretty competent in a lot of games but lack that consistency and a bit of a cutting edge. I was hoping, like others, that the cutting edge part was addressed in this window. Maybe it has been, time will tell.

I’m not exactly pleased with it Ginny, I would’ve loved to have been proven wrong. It genuinely boils my urine knowing the people who dismissed it as moaning at the start are the ones left scratching their heads as to what just went on when 2 weeks ago they were calling you a moaning illegitimate and just wait for the window to shut. In Hursts interview he seemed wound up to hear Matt Dean questioning him on the lack of movement too, but we ended up doing exactly what people feared we would.

If a bunch of miserable twits on a forum saw it coming a mile off, why didn’t Hurst? And if he did, why were we lurking round in the bargain basement on the last day of the window?

Probably shouldn’t let it wind me up as much as it has the habit of doing, but we all support the same football club and have the same interest in it doing well.

I’ve sent my list of questions for the fans forum, and I really hope some are answered (they’re reasonably written too!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 117
coddy60
February 1, 2023, 4:33pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
We weren't in for Dallas, due to him seeing his contract out which will give him more bargaining power come the summer.
Mullarkey signed for a club close to his home rather than take in a 2 hour plus drive for similar cash.
People really need to stop believing Twitter bullshit accounts and using them as a stick to beat the club with....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 117
OddShapedBalls
February 1, 2023, 4:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
We collectively managed to create 341 pages of banter, nonsense, insults, speculation and mostly good entertainment, that's the real story of this transfer window.  

341 pages, which clubs rumour forums have we beaten with that figure do we think?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 117
sonofmadeleymariner
February 1, 2023, 5:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
I'm not disappointed, we did exactly what I expected in this window. Sign a player who has spent more time in the physio room than in training in recent times on a "hopefully stays fit contract" and 3 or 4 youth players from teams above us.

Anyone who thought differently was kidding themselves.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 117
out of town
February 1, 2023, 5:11pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +717
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from coddy60
We weren't in for Dallas, due to him seeing his contract out which will give him more bargaining power come the summer.
Mullarkey signed for a club close to his home rather than take in a 2 hour plus drive for similar cash.
People really need to stop believing Twitter bullshit accounts and using them as a stick to beat the club with....

We were in for Dallas and we pulled out of the Mullarkey deal when Emmanuel became available.

If you’re going to slate others for believing Twitter posts, at least get your own facts correct
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 117
Manchester Mariner
February 1, 2023, 5:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from coddy60

This.

People with 'sources' or friends within the club happy to spout all and sundry or someone PM'ing initials of the player we are definitely signing on request. It's just your standard WUM's with their internet jiggery pokery which folk will fall for yet again come the next transfer window and then furiously lose their heads again.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 117
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
February 1, 2023, 5:30pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +881
Gold Stars: 123
What we need to remember is that a good percentage of transfer fees received will have gone towards paying off the thing that used to own the club. Also yes, we have earned a few pennies in the cup run BUT monies won't be available from it until the end of the season, so will be in the budget for next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 117
coddy60
February 1, 2023, 5:43pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from out of town

We were in for Dallas and we pulled out of the Mullarkey deal when Emmanuel became available.

If you’re going to slate others for believing Twitter posts, at least get your own facts correct

My facts are fine ta, and my sources are impeccable...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 117
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Transfer Window Reflection Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.