HerveJosse
February 15, 2023, 4:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from diehardmariner
Yeah I was thinking that about the Buckley first era team. It definitely wasn't a team that could be pushed around.  Even the players who were smaller in stature like Dave Gilbert and Kev Jobling weren't afraid to get stuck in.  As that team established itself in the second tier he added the likes of Livvo, Graeme Rodger, Paul Groves who all had physical elements to their game.

Mk II era the same.  Mark Lever, Livvo, Groves, Alan Pouton, Jack Lester, even Lee Nogan who did the Tony Rees role of holding it all up, backing into players and taking a battering.  All lads who could put themselves about.

Mk III was obviously less successful and I think in some ways marked a change in his approach a little, he perhaps became too pure.  Whilst at the respective end of their careers, the likes of Gary Jones and Justin Whittle were sidelined a bit for less physical options.  Peter Till was someone who I'd argue summed up his approach, especially in the final months.  Nice, tidy, technical but lacked an oomph.

Bobby. Cumming 5ft 7 or 8 was the hardest footballer I have seen as Norman Hunter or Alan Clarke would no doubt testify if they were still alive. Pre Buckley era.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 97
headingly_mariner
February 15, 2023, 4:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from Poojah

And we should. It had somewhat passed me by that Carlisle had crept up into the automatic promotion spots. A thousand less through the gates than us and even more remote. We mustn’t believe it isn’t doable.

I completely agree it's doable, doesn't mean it's not difficult. They've been in this division for years and been unable to get out.

I fancy we will finish mid table this season and kick on next season.

The key has to be adding improved quality. We've got some pretty good players already at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 97
MuddyWaters
February 15, 2023, 4:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I completely agree it's doable, doesn't mean it's not difficult. They've been in this division for years and been unable to get out.

I fancy we will finish mid table this season and kick on next season.

The key has to be adding improved quality. We've got some pretty good players already at this level.

Who are our pretty good players at this level? I can name 4, maybe 5.
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 97
headingly_mariner
February 15, 2023, 4:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Who are our pretty good players at this level? I can name 4, maybe 5.

Crocombe
Efete
Smith
Maher
Waterfall
Clifton
Holohan
Khan
Mcatee

Would all easily get other teams at this level. I fancy Clifton could easily play higher. I think Maher and Efete will improve to get moves.

I'm unsure about the rest of the squad, most of them are steady squad players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 97
Les Brechin
February 15, 2023, 4:47pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,724
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Poojah

And we should. It had somewhat passed me by that Carlisle had crept up into the automatic promotion spots. A thousand less through the gates than us and even more remote. We mustn’t believe it isn’t doable.

I wouldn't say Carlisle is more remote then Grimsby. It has the M6 running past it just a few miles away. Barrow maybe, but I wouldn't class Carlisle as MORE remote.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 97
MuddyWaters
February 15, 2023, 4:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Crocombe
Efete
Smith
Maher
Waterfall
Clifton
Holohan
Khan
Mcatee

Would all easily get other teams at this level. I fancy Clifton could easily play higher. I think Maher and Efete will improve to get moves.

I'm unsure about the rest of the squad, most of them are steady squad players.

Two of them aren’t ours. I’d probably leave Efete and Holohan off my list simply because they’re very inconsistent.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 97
Poojah
February 15, 2023, 5:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from Les Brechin

I wouldn't say Carlisle is more remote then Grimsby. It has the M6 running past it just a few miles away. Barrow maybe, but I wouldn't class Carlisle as MORE remote.

Carlisle is some 70 miles further north than Barrow; just over 2 hours from Manchester - only about 20 mins closer than Grimsby is for context. It does have Newcastle an hour and a half away, but there aren’t a wealth of seasoned League 1 / 2 players living that way for obvious reasons.

Within a ~90 minute drive of Grimsby are several EFL clubs including Hull, Lincoln, Doncaster, Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Bradford, Huddersfield, Barnsley and Rotherham. You can add Premier League clubs Leeds and Nottingham Forest to that list.

I get that location doesn’t work in our favour as much as it might for Manchester or London based clubs, but those clubs also face a far greater fight for support given some of the massive clubs on their doorstep.

I suspect that the long-standing reputation of the club, and to a lesser extent the image of the town (right or wrong) trump location as an issue. The good news is that our reputation can, in time, be restored.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 97
lew chaterleys lover
February 15, 2023, 6:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Poojah

Carlisle is some 70 miles further north than Barrow; just over 2 hours from Manchester - only about 20 mins closer than Grimsby is for context. It does have Newcastle an hour and a half away, but there aren’t a wealth of seasoned League 1 / 2 players living that way for obvious reasons.

Within a ~90 minute drive of Grimsby are several EFL clubs including Hull, Lincoln, Doncaster, Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Bradford, Huddersfield, Barnsley and Rotherham. You can add Premier League clubs Leeds and Nottingham Forest to that list.

I get that location doesn’t work in our favour as much as it might for Manchester or London based clubs, but those clubs also face a far greater fight for support given some of the massive clubs on their doorstep.

I suspect that the long-standing reputation of the club, and to a lesser extent the image of the town (right or wrong) trump location as an issue. The good news is that our reputation can, in time, be restored.

That is an excellent explanation of the location issue. We simply have not got a good enough story to sell due to years of being in the doldrums, and we haven't yet counteracted that with wages that would attract some waverers.

Location will always be a problem for some players, be it Barrow, Exeter, Carlisle or Hartlepool or even some bigger cities with their increased living costs or whatever the reasons might be, but if we can get our reputation sorted we will be halfway there. The trouble is if we finish in the bottom few again our reputation will not be enhanced this time around so it goes on. In the summer, whatever the longer term plans we need to pay more to attract better players on our hit list.
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 97
February 15, 2023, 7:34pm
Guest User
Just re-reading this from last night. Didn’t remember some of my posts. Oh dear. Safe to say a lot of it was tongue in cheek.

I’m as p1ssed off as anyone. Please do a win Town, my liver is begging you.
Reply: 78 - 97
toontown
February 15, 2023, 7:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,274
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Two of them aren’t ours. I’d probably leave Efete and Holohan off my list simply because they’re very inconsistent.

I'd leave efete out because he isn't very good with the ball I'm afraid (although an excellent athlete so hes good without it)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.