RonMariner
February 19, 2023, 10:07am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from blundellpork

It’s funny how people see things differently. I saw Amos with two hands grabbing hold of the Northampton player. I thought the ref called this one correctly, even if I did disagree with many many other decisions.

Yes, he did. But my recollection was that the Northampton player was pushing and grabbing him first. But then I am biased and so not an entirely reliable witness!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 15
Theimperialcoroner
February 19, 2023, 10:10am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,276
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from rancido

I never even knew that was part of the laws of the game. Then again, when it comes to 'drop balls, I'm sure some refs make it up as they go along.

The new drop ball guidance is just balderdash. I have to say I make it up too because I’m not sure of how it should be applied. As ever, FIFA have copulated about with something that wasn’t broken.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 15
jamesgtfc
February 19, 2023, 10:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

The new drop ball guidance is just balderdash. I have to say I make it up too because I’m not sure of how it should be applied. As ever, FIFA have copulated about with something that wasn’t broken.

There are loads of drop balls now but none of them are a good old fashioned bounce up.

I miss them days, watching two players kicking one anothers ankles at a drop ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
HertsGTFC
February 19, 2023, 11:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,996
Gold Stars: 228
Clearly there is a shortage of refs at every level so it’s obvious that some who are either not ready or just plain not good enough are getting into the lower levels of the professional game.

It’s a difficult job for sure especially at senior pro/semi pro level as a high proportion of players are hard wired to gain any advantage they can or in many cases just cheat at every opportunity.

I think at our level the refs are semi pro and hold down full time jobs so I’d question how much time they have for developing their fitness, skills and understanding of the professional game, feels like not much looking at their performances sometimes.

CPD feels like it’s actually managed through games with assessments afterwards which means the “development needs” they have and are trying to correct impact on games and at times results and in extreme cases arguably careers.

VAR doesn’t help, you’ve got 4 refs sat in a caravan in Stockley Park who could be out officiating games and the pushing 4 refs back into the pyramid down a level etc.. etc.. which would in theory mean 4 less muppets in L2, possibly.

Until something is done to attract and support and protect  refs at grass roots level and through the pyramid the amount of inconsistency and ineptitude we see most weeks will continue and will probably get worse.

I say it every week “they know the rules (mostly) but know nothing about the game.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
ginnywings
February 19, 2023, 11:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Clearly there is a shortage of refs at every level so it’s obvious that some who are either not ready or just plain not good enough are getting into the lower levels of the professional game.

It’s a difficult job for sure especially at senior pro/semi pro level as a high proportion of players are hard wired to gain any advantage they can or in many cases just cheat at every opportunity.

I think at our level the refs are semi pro and hold down full time jobs so I’d question how much time they have for developing their fitness, skills and understanding of the professional game, feels like not much looking at their performances sometimes.

CPD feels like it’s actually managed through games with assessments afterwards which means the “development needs” they have and are trying to correct impact on games and at times results and in extreme cases arguably careers.

VAR doesn’t help, you’ve got 4 refs sat in a caravan in Stockley Park who could be out officiating games and the pushing 4 refs back into the pyramid down a level etc.. etc.. which would in theory mean 4 less muppets in L2, possibly.

Until something is done to attract and support and protect  refs at grass roots level and through the pyramid the amount of inconsistency and ineptitude we see most weeks will continue and will probably get worse.

I say it every week “they know the rules (mostly) but know nothing about the game.

I used to say that line, but I'm not sure some of them do anymore. Seen some right bizarre decisions lately.

Said it many times before, but there should be a pathway for ex players to become refs. Make it more appealing for them to carry on in the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
HertsGTFC
February 19, 2023, 11:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,996
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings

I used to say that line, but I'm not sure some of them do anymore. Seen some right bizarre decisions lately.

Said it many times before, but there should be a pathway for ex players to become refs. Make it more appealing for them to carry on in the game.

I don’t disagree some form of fast track needs to be defined, but then again pros know what pros think and say about and to refs so I’m not sure how many would be resilient enough to take the plunge. Plus many retire relatively comfortable if not wealthy and have options to earn pin money in other areas of the game without having to put the hours in and take the abuse, shame really.

You’re right, I should rephrase what I said, “some” know the rules and apply them to the letter others just don’t apply them. Especially when it comes to drop balls, ball making contact with the ref whilst in play, throw in’s and substituted players not taking the shortest route off, is that still a rule?

I will defend them on the head injury thing though as most players go down holding their heads when there is f**k all wrong with them and the refs have absolutely no choice but to stop the game.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst Post Match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.