Reply: 1 - 12
Poojah
February 24, 2023, 8:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,780
Gold Stars: 1,515
Not sure what this means for their lineup on Wednesday, but I can’t imagine he’ll want to be losing to League Two minnows in his third game as a manager.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
February 24, 2023, 8:58am
Guest User
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Let’s hope the players take a dislike to him

I'm afraid both the players and the fans love him. (see the 'SaintsWeb'  forum)

What we need to hope for, is that Southampton win at Leeds tomorrow to bolster their hopes of Premiership survival.

Then they won't be worrying about us too much...
Reply: 3 - 12
Rodley Mariner
February 24, 2023, 9:02am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
I think this is a good thing. If he was chasing the job he'd probably have to take it more seriously as a loss to us would have probably knocked him out of the running. Now he's got in you'd imagine it is all about keeping them up!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
February 24, 2023, 9:07am
Guest User
Quoted from Poojah
Not sure what this means for their lineup on Wednesday, but I can’t imagine he’ll want to be losing to League Two minnows in his third game as a manager.

I'm sure he won't want to lose to us, but to paraphrase Tony Blair, his top three priorities are "survival, survival and survival".

Having checked out the SaintsWeb forum* to see what they made of the Cup draw, I've been looking at it most days.

Prior to their win at Chelsea last weekend, the "gallows humour" was wonderful to behold.
Made the Fishy seem like a hotbed of unfettered optimism.

* There's at least 2 other forums, but this is the biggest and best, I reckon.
Reply: 5 - 12
Mariner93er
February 24, 2023, 9:55am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Don't think this really changes anything. You only have to look at the number of tickets they've sold for our game to see that their fans aren't too bothered about the FA cup, which gives the manager extra leeway to go with a weakened team - although maybe that's just me being optimistic.

Regardless, every league game for them now is important and our game is wedged between two important league outings for them. Can only see them making multiple changes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
TownSNAFU5
February 24, 2023, 9:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
I don’t know he has done to get the job?  He only deservedly won away at the recent CL winners who have spent half a billion on new players.

If Saints fans are excited then it might put a few more thousand on the gate.

If Leeds don’t beat them then we can be the first team (league or in the FAC, since 1888, to beat a team whose manager’s surname is a palindrome.  (According to a national paper anyway).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
diehardmariner
February 24, 2023, 10:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
I would imagine that whilst he won't want a home defeat in the cup to a L2 side, his absolute priority is survival.  Everything will be thrown at tomorrow's game with Leeds, which is a proper relegation scrap.  The following weekend they've got Leicester at home which is probably a game they might fancy their chances of picking something up from and potentially pull them back into it.

They've 15 games to save their Premier League status, surely it's a reserve team for us isn't it?  Too much at stake to risk the likes of Ward-Prowse.

Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
CodHead
February 24, 2023, 11:36am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +169
Quoted from Mariner93er
Don't think this really changes anything. You only have to look at the number of tickets they've sold for our game to see that their fans aren't too bothered about the FA cup, which gives the manager extra leeway to go with a weakened team - although maybe that's just me being optimistic.

Regardless, every league game for them now is important and our game is wedged between two important league outings for them. Can only see them making multiple changes.

How many have they sold?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Southampton appoint

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.