Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Clive Wigginton  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 167 Guests

Clive Wigginton  (merged)

This thread currently has 2,489 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
DB
February 26, 2023, 3:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
I just read this from the trust, dementia strikes again.

"Clive Wigginton
Ex player, suffering with dementia and his family are struggling finanically.
Agreed we will fundraise for them, and also make donation from Trust. Ideas
considered included a race night, name cards etc."

I remember watching him many times, 295 appearances in 2 spells. I'm in for £10 if somebody wants to raise a donation fund from  'The Fishy'.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
GrimExile
February 26, 2023, 3:22pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
I understand, having just read the Trust’s latest board meeting minutes, that Clive Wiggington is suffering from dementia and his family are in a difficult position financially. The Trust are going to make a donation and arrange various fundraising events. I also hope they’ll set up a Crowdfunding page. I certainly will donate and hopefully so will most of us on here. A good player in his day and I wish him and his family the very best. Once a Mariner always a Mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
GrimExile
February 26, 2023, 3:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
We both must have read it at the same time DB and posted at the same time too. I assume some one will merge it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
promotion plaice
February 26, 2023, 3:27pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,081
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from GrimExile
We both must have read it at the same time DB and posted at the same time too. I assume some one will merge it.

Done.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
HertsGTFC
February 26, 2023, 3:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GrimExile
I understand, having just read the Trust’s latest board meeting minutes, that Clive Wiggington is suffering from dementia and his family are in a difficult position financially. The Trust are going to make a donation and arrange various fundraising events. I also hope they’ll set up a Crowdfunding page. I certainly will donate and hopefully so will most of us on here. A good player in his day and I wish him and his family the very best. Once a Mariner always a Mariner.

In Clive’s case twice a Mariner, not good to hear and exactly the right cause to champion!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
GrimExile
February 26, 2023, 3:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

Done.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar!! Thanks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
arryarryarry
February 26, 2023, 6:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
One abiding memory is playing at Bury with a bandage round his head.

Sometimes think he doesn't get the credit for what he did at Town.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
HerveJosse
February 26, 2023, 6:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Featured prominently in both our championship winning sides of my lifetime . Left the game twice to work in manual jobs due to low pay coming back each time and still amassing nearly 500 games. It would be nice if the Trust could set something up so we can donate .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 26, 2023, 8:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Played against him in the Lincoln Sunday League when he played for Ferryboat who were paying £40 per game and a free Sunday carvery in the Ferryboat pub in Washingborough. Good player who played for all three Lincolnshire clubs and we need to come together to make sure he and his family are ok.

When at De Aston school in Rasen his brother in law, Kevin Skane Davies, was in my class but I believe his first marriage broke down but not seen Kevin for approaching 50 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
Limerick Mariner
February 27, 2023, 8:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,746
Gold Stars: 138
Signed back from Lincoln, replaced Barker in a centre back pairing with Dean Crombie, and then paired with Kev Moore as Crombie went to full back. Ended up playing through our most successful period in the 50 years - two promotions, including a championship medal, and through to a 7th place in Division 2. Was a near ever present in that period as well. A great cause for Trust fundraising.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
GrimExile
February 27, 2023, 8:25am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimExile

I see somebody red crossed that. Now normally I wouldn’t give a monkeys but how could anyone red x a post pointing out an ex player has dementia and his family need financial assistance. You should be utterly ashamed of yourself.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 11
The Yard Dog
February 27, 2023, 3:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
One of the mean reasons why I am a GTFC fan, Clive took me to a few games when I was a lad, he would take me in the dressing room, sat among the players. I still have a photo of me dressed in my black & white scraf and bobble hat standing next to Clive, it has pride of place in the Press Room at BP which I voluntarily look after on matchdays.

I want to help, organise a fund raising event, if has any ideas, count me in. PM me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Clive Wigginton  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.