diehardmariner
February 27, 2023, 2:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from Mappers
Thats the Only thing that irks me when jason says 'we cant fill BP aatm ' because if we did go through to league 1 there would be 10 teams probably capable of bringing 3k+ on a good , so if we evwn dis go through now the lack of capacity would inhibit potentially quite a lot of income,irrelevant how many home fans we manage to get in  .

If we were to be in League One, there's definitely more clubs likely to be able to sell out the away end or come close to it.  I reckon 8 as a minimum based on the current clubs in there. Not sure I agree on the 8 clubs bringing 3,000 though.  Sheff Wed, Derby, maybe Barnsley? If we're in that league you would hope that's more of our fans wanting to watch it too.  

It's a bit chicken and egg isn't it?  You don't build it until there is actual concrete demand for it but you can't build it overnight and when you get round to it you've lost a lot of potential income and there's the risk that some of that demand has gone.

I submitted a question for the fans forum asking how feasible it is to fill in the corners as a short-to-medium term option but it didn't get read out.  Listening to other things that were said about the ground (both at the forum and elsewhere) there's still this view that we don't need to increase our capacity because we're not filling the ground.  I've voiced my disagreement on this before as I think it's a flawed argument against it, but the bigger issue is that there's hopefully going to be an increase in demand for seats all round the ground, sooner rather than later.  

Down the A46 Lincoln are having to rely on significant investment just to plod along in League One, largely because they can't generate enough money through their turnstiles.  I don't think we'll go down that route of having money just pumped into us, but that leaves us very reliant on ticket money to develop and grow.  

Equally so it wouldn't surprise me if plans are firmly afoot to have some sort of solution in place before we know it...

Private Message
Reply: 20 - 98
DB
February 27, 2023, 4:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from diehardmariner

If we were to be in League One, there's definitely more clubs likely to be able to sell out the away end or come close to it.  I reckon 8 as a minimum based on the current clubs in there. Not sure I agree on the 8 clubs bringing 3,000 though.  Sheff Wed, Derby, maybe Barnsley? If we're in that league you would hope that's more of our fans wanting to watch it too.  

It's a bit chicken and egg isn't it?  You don't build it until there is actual concrete demand for it but you can't build it overnight and when you get round to it you've lost a lot of potential income and there's the risk that some of that demand has gone.

I submitted a question for the fans forum asking how feasible it is to fill in the corners as a short-to-medium term option but it didn't get read out.  Listening to other things that were said about the ground (both at the forum and elsewhere) there's still this view that we don't need to increase our capacity because we're not filling the ground.  I've voiced my disagreement on this before as I think it's a flawed argument against it, but the bigger issue is that there's hopefully going to be an increase in demand for seats all round the ground, sooner rather than later.  

Down the A46 Lincoln are having to rely on significant investment just to plod along in League One, largely because they can't generate enough money through their turnstiles.  I don't think we'll go down that route of having money just pumped into us, but that leaves us very reliant on ticket money to develop and grow.  

Equally so it wouldn't surprise me if plans are firmly afoot to have some sort of solution in place before we know it...

Like you I submitted a question that never got asked which is simply how does JS get this 8,500 gate figure, given away allocations & tarps on seats. To me, we are running 2 sets of figures which are the match attendance figure and the ST paid for seats plus match day walk-ins.  I think the latter is probably greater and the figure that JS should talk about.

The orient gate was 6283 including 499 away fans which leaves 5784 home fans, less 5500+ ST's which gives us about 250 walk-ins. I find 250+ walk-ins hard to believe.

That said, and as the thread is about the Accounts, I have complete faith in what 1878 are trying to do. After all we have 2 multi-millionaire businessmen who want to put the club in good standing, make it an asset for the community and be self financing. Let's face it they could have watched the club go down the pan and bought it for far less than they did if they were in in for the money.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 98
MarinerDevil
February 27, 2023, 5:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,802
Gold Stars: 80
The only other club in last season's National League to release their accounts is Notts County. They've released abbreviated accounts which don't include a profit/loss breakdown, so it's difficult to compare them directly to ours.

However, for those interested:

Grimsby Town         Notts County
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Avg. attendance      5,704                     7,027
No. of employees    256                        245
Transfer fees (£)      0 (excl. McAtee)     227,000
Overall loss (£)        930,000                 1,700,000

Given the larger overall loss, despite having higher matchday income, I think it's safe to assume that Notts County's playing budget was higher than ours in 2021/22.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 98
Mariner_09
February 27, 2023, 5:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from MarinerDevil
The only other club in last season's National League to release their accounts is Notts County. They've released abbreviated accounts which don't include a profit/loss breakdown, so it's difficult to compare them directly to ours.

However, for those interested:

Grimsby Town         Notts County
Avg. attendance      5,704                     7,027
No. of employees    256                        245
Transfer fees (£)      0 (excl. McAtee)     227,000
Overall loss (£)        930,000                 1,700,000

Given the larger overall loss, despite having higher matchday income, I think it's safe to assume that Notts County's playing budget was higher than ours in 2021/22.

Don't think it can be overstated at quite how important it was we got out of that league. Despite the emotion of it, we got away with one. With the money flying around down there, it's safe to say we'd struggled to have matched the top two in terms of points output again and once again, you're in a playoff lottery.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 98
Heisenberg
February 27, 2023, 6:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Interesting seeing the gate revenue. I recently read that Arsenal Women took 500k in gate receipts last season, but their wage bill is £4.4m!! And of that, Leah Williamson gets 200k! Madness. Football completely unsustainable in the WSL. My regular slagging of the women’s game is justified then…..

There’s no alarm bells being rung in my head looking at our accounts, and definitely not when taken into context against the likes of Preston and Bristol City.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 98
It Bites
February 27, 2023, 6:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,208
Gold Stars: 266
Brilliant, I'm going to go through these with a fine tooth comb ............. Ffs , years ago you wouldn't of been able to see these easily so all you'd ever be concerned about are results on the pitch .
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 98
Marinerdan
February 27, 2023, 7:59pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +957
Gold Stars: 17
The accounts are really well presented and are clearly for public consumption.

That’s fairly unusual at this level as most clubs make the bare minimum available. It’s a big tick in the box for transparency.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 98
jamesgtfc
February 27, 2023, 8:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from It Bites
Brilliant, I'm going to go through these with a fine tooth comb ............. Ffs , years ago you wouldn't of been able to see these easily so all you'd ever be concerned about are results on the pitch .

We were a Plc previously so the accounts were easily accessible and had to be transparent. This regime have made us a Ltd company and are providing us with a lot more detail than they need to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 98
golfer
February 27, 2023, 8:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Have we had McAtee's money from Luton yet ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 98
grimsby pete
February 27, 2023, 8:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
I am no accountant so do not read towns accounts,

BUT

I have every faith in Jason and Andrew  and I think they know what they are doing in fact I know they do.

So relax we are in safe hands and all things are on the up.

After all the penny pinching over the years we will make steady progress in all directions.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Accounts Released

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.