immariner
March 6, 2023, 9:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Hi everyone,

Rob, I hope i'm okay to put this here. Very sadly, a friend of mine suddenly passed away on the football pitch last weekend, aged just 23, after collapsing playing for his Saturday league team. There wasn't a defibrillator on hand and getting hold of one proved frustratingly difficult, wasting valuable minutes.

To turn such a terrible tragedy into something positive, a crowdfunder and foundation has been set up to acquire defibrillators for teams and sporting groups across Lincolnshire, so that fewer people and families have to suffer similar unfathomable tragedies in the future. What a wonderful legacy it would be if even one life could be saved.

If you could kindly share the below on facebook and other social media I'd be truly grateful, Mariners
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/michael-palmer-mp99?utm_term=P4X3D9zNj

RIP my friend

Thank you,
Chris
Logged Offline
Private Message
The Yard Dog
March 6, 2023, 11:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
Hi Chris sorry to hear the sad news with regards to your friend

Oliver King's father setup a foundation after his son died
Oliver King was a 12-year-old boy who attended King David High School in Liverpool, whilst winning a swimming race in a PE lesson he tragically suffered a sudden cardiac arrest due to a condition known as Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome (SADS).  This condition kills 12 young people under the age of 35 every single week in the UK. Sadly there was no lifesaving defibrillator on hand, and for every minute that passed his chances of survival dropped significantly.

Get in touch with the Oliver King Foundation

https://theoliverkingfoundation.co.uk/

About Us
What are we doing?

We provide training in defibrillator awareness, and in first aid. To date we have placed 5,900 defibrillators in schools and organisations across the UK. The Oliver King Foundation has travelled around the country from the Outer Hebrides to Portsmouth, training 135,000 staff in defibrillator awareness along the way. We are aware of 64+ lives being saved by the defibrillators we have placed.

We have continually worked with numerous Parliamentarians to ensure defibrillators are widely available. We started the ball rolling in 2013 with phenomenal success. We presented our e petition with over 110,000 signatures which led to a debate in the House of Parliament, various prominent MPs endorsed our work.

After our meeting with Schools Minister Lord Nash. The Government issued guidance to all schools in England and Wales recommending they have access to a lifesaving defibrillator, naming us as a stakeholder in that document.

Our biggest and proudest achievement has been our Meeting in March 2022 with Secretary of State for Education Nadim Zahawi. Every school in UK will receive a defibrillator, we would hope this roll out will happen within the next 12 months.

Our aim now is to open our own ECG testing centre. All our demanding work acts as a legacy for 12-year-old Oliver King. We have some ambitious plans for the next 12 months, so keep an eye out on our social media.

Hope this is of some use.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
The_Laughing_Mariner
March 6, 2023, 11:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 10
I'm Defib trained, honestly its urine easy.  Diagrams where to put the pads, and the machine talks you through the operation.
It wont send a shock if its not needed.  You cant go wrong

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
Norseman
March 7, 2023, 12:01am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
2 walking football clubs have 1 each .Also Lincolnshire over 60s have 1.Essential these days at sporting competitions I think
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
immariner
March 7, 2023, 9:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog
Hi Chris sorry to hear the sad news with regards to your friend

Oliver King's father setup a foundation after his son died
Oliver King was a 12-year-old boy who attended King David High School in Liverpool, whilst winning a swimming race in a PE lesson he tragically suffered a sudden cardiac arrest due to a condition known as Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome (SADS).  This condition kills 12 young people under the age of 35 every single week in the UK. Sadly there was no lifesaving defibrillator on hand, and for every minute that passed his chances of survival dropped significantly.

Get in touch with the Oliver King Foundation

https://theoliverkingfoundation.co.uk/

Thank you so much mate, I will pass this on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
Marinerdan
March 7, 2023, 9:50am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +957
Gold Stars: 17
I’ve just had one installed on the side of my garage at home. I was really surprised how easy it was to put up. It’s a couple of screws and the cabinet just needs a plug.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
Son of Cod
March 7, 2023, 10:41am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from immariner
Hi everyone,

Rob, I hope i'm okay to put this here. Very sadly, a friend of mine suddenly passed away on the football pitch last weekend, aged just 23, after collapsing playing for his Saturday league team. There wasn't a defibrillator on hand and getting hold of one proved frustratingly difficult, wasting valuable minutes.

To turn such a terrible tragedy into something positive, a crowdfunder and foundation has been set up to acquire defibrillators for teams and sporting groups across Lincolnshire, so that fewer people and families have to suffer similar unfathomable tragedies in the future. What a wonderful legacy it would be if even one life could be saved.

If you could kindly share the below on facebook and other social media I'd be truly grateful, Mariners
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/michael-palmer-mp99?utm_term=P4X3D9zNj

RIP my friend

Thank you,
Chris

So sorry to hear about your mate, im. 23 is no age to go, this kind of thing is so frightening. I hope the target is reached. Good luck on that, it's a superb initiative. Hope you're doing okay, all things considered.

I'm Defib trained, honestly its urine easy.  Diagrams where to put the pads, and the machine talks you through the operation.
It wont send a shock if its not needed.  You cant go wrong

Yep also defib trained and they really are easy to use. I'd urge anyone that has free first aid training available at work to get signed up as the more people that have the knowledge that you get from these courses, the more likely we are to avoid tragedies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
immariner
March 7, 2023, 1:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

So sorry to hear about your mate, im. 23 is no age to go, this kind of thing is so frightening. I hope the target is reached. Good luck on that, it's a superb initiative. Hope you're doing okay, all things considered.

Yep also defib trained and they really are easy to use. I'd urge anyone that has free first aid training available at work to get signed up as the more people that have the knowledge that you get from these courses, the more likely we are to avoid tragedies.

Thanks mate- such a shock, healthy lad who'd studied sports science. Hard to fathom that a simple, if somewhat expensive bit of kit, could well have saved his life.

I've seen you contributed mate, thanks so much, means a lot
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
moosey_club
March 7, 2023, 6:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,305
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Marinerdan
I’ve just had one installed on the side of my garage at home. I was really surprised how easy it was to put up. It’s a couple of screws and the cabinet just needs a plug.

Side of your garage ? Have you installed a jump pack for your car battery or a defib ? 😂

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
Marinerdan
March 7, 2023, 6:50pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +957
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from moosey_club

Side of your garage ? Have you installed a jump pack for your car battery or a defib ? 😂

Ha ha I hadn’t thought of that but if we have a few cold days I may try it.

It was a bit of an odd situation, a local paramedic raised money to install a few defibs across our villages. They usually place them at commercial sites but there are none on our side of the village so they asked if we’d be willing to put it on the garage. It’s behind the house and against the road so everyone can access it really easily.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Defibrillators

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.