gytone
March 6, 2023, 9:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,029
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Poojah

I had the misfortune of living in Middlesbrough for three years in my late teens / early twenties. The spot where Ayresome Park was is now a small housing estate, with street names attempting to honour what went before but clearly the lazy work of a housing developer’s marketing team (“The Turnstile”, “The Midfield”, rather than anything unique to the club).

The surrounding area is rough as fúck though, much of what I remember is now razed to the ground, and I’ve often wondered what it must have been like as an away day. I can only imagine it was edgy.

I was at that game and it was certainly edgy, for want of a better phrase !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 41
toontown
March 6, 2023, 11:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Heisenberg

Didn’t we knock Villa out on away goals after two draws? I think the 3-1 might have been against Coventry, and we got knocked out anyway as Kevin Drinkell did us in the 2nd leg.

Oops your right itvwas Coventry we beat 3 1, but yeah they recovered on the 2nd Leg so not quite the same
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 41
toontown
March 6, 2023, 11:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I had the misfortune of living in Middlesbrough for three years in my late teens / early twenties. The spot where Ayresome Park was is now a small housing estate, with street names attempting to honour what went before but clearly the lazy work of a housing developer’s marketing team (“The Turnstile”, “The Midfield”, rather than anything unique to the club).

The surrounding area is rough as fúck though, much of what I remember is now razed to the ground, and I’ve often wondered what it must have been like as an away day. I can only imagine it was edgy.

Very. I remember a police line had to be formed after that result to protect the coaches we were on!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 41
Norseman
March 7, 2023, 12:11am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Don't forget we made about 50k in the unmentionable  trophy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 41
MrThirsty
March 7, 2023, 12:26am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from toontown

Very. I remember a police line had to be formed after that result to protect the coaches we were on!

Thought the police did a great job that day (as far as I remember it was a female police officer in charge and she wasn’t taking any prisoners from their fans). Was interesting having to break off the group to get back to my car.

With regards the gap in places a Cod Almighty article put the gap at 76 places.

This was also a ground we went to on Friday night a few years earlier and beat them 5 - 0 so happy memories
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 41
grimps
March 7, 2023, 3:54am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,152
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Les Brechin

Middlesborough must be very close in 88/89, IIRC they were 10th in the top flight and we were 4th bottom of the 4th Division at the time we played them.

That win would have got far more national coverage had then non-league Sutton, not beaten then top-flight Coventry City.

I was going to say the same , Boro was actually in the top 5 at one point when we drew them .
Also Coventry at home the next season we beat 3-1 but they beat us 3-0 in the replay
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 41
Heisenberg
March 7, 2023, 4:38am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from grimps

I was going to say the same , Boro was actually in the top 5 at one point when we drew them .
Also Coventry at home the next season we beat 3-1 but they beat us 3-0 in the replay

A replay isn’t needed if you’ve won 3-1…..

It was the League Cup, a two legged affair. Sorry for being pedantic!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 41
grimps
March 7, 2023, 4:44am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,152
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Heisenberg

A replay isn’t needed if you’ve won 3-1…..

It was the League Cup, a two legged affair. Sorry for being pedantic!

You know what I meant
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 41
Les Brechin
March 7, 2023, 7:04am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,721
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from marinerjase
Never got the coverage from the media that that Middlesbrough result deserved..one of my best away days ever watching Town that one.

Apart from being pelted with coins by the 'Boro fans!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 41
toontown
March 7, 2023, 7:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Boro ended up getting relegated that season in the end though didn't they? That might well happen to Southampton too. Can't see that being the case with Brighton!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cup Run

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.