13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
April 8, 2023, 11:29am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,451
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Tinymariner
GTFC have played a competitive game in every month now for 21 months, how many teams have done that before, in recent times?

Had we reached the FA Cup final we could have carried it on. Won it and the Europa starts in June.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 90 - 123
acko338
April 8, 2023, 11:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 33
Do Town have an EXPERIENCED attack coach ?

Has that person, if there at all, have any say in home game tactics?

Can our passing game get much worse, compared to the Cup run games where passing and positioning were mostly superb?

If you set up right, position the players to receive and go again into spaces, and actually get an accurate pass, then a lot of the tiredness will go, as it stops chasing lost causes.

This side should be, and have shown themselves to be, far better than playing desperate hoof ball from the back.

How many times do we wait for crosses to be delivered after wing breaks?

How many runs do McAtee, Khan, Orsi and Lloyd make when playing only to chase bad passes?

Look at the ratio of chances made vs goals scored - we are not clinical.

Yesterday, Hartlepool showed us how to score, a few weeks ago, Swindon showed us how to play in this Division.

Are we not learning from these games?

These players CAN do it, so what has happened to stop them playing what should be simple passing moves, preferably to our own players?

There seems to be one away side, and a completely different side at home, not just in personnel changes, but tactics and loss of abilities ????

Frustrating for the home fans !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 123
HerveJosse
April 8, 2023, 12:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
I if we were an American Football team we would have an offence team and a defence team . Currently it seems we just have a defence team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 123
Spurn boy
April 8, 2023, 1:03pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from GrimExile
I get that the manager wants to have a look at one or two players and maybe look at a different system in preparation for next season. But NOT on a bank holiday, at home in front of a capacity crowd. To me that’s insulting the paying fans. Not on and he should be ashamed of himself.

Insulting was the word Hurst thought of JT’s question when he tried to say to Hurst that the players who started the game were not up to it. I agree that the team Hurst put out to play a relegation threatened side was an insult to the paying fans who attended hoping to see a strong team give us a good performance a few goals and a win, what they gave us yesterday was embarrassing and effortless.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 123
chaos33
April 8, 2023, 1:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from Spurn boy

Insulting was the word Hurst thought of JT’s question when he tried to say to Hurst that the players who started the game were not up to it. I agree that the team Hurst put out to play a relegation threatened side was an insult to the paying fans who attended hoping to see a strong team give us a good performance a few goals and a win, what they gave us yesterday was embarrassing and effortless.

Think Hurst was making the point that those who played were below standard in their performance, but that their ability as evidenced should lead everyone to believe that they could and should have performed much better. I think it did duck the notion of whether the formation/strategy was right. One of those aspects is down to the players as individuals and as a collective and one is down to him.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 123
jamesgtfc
April 8, 2023, 1:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from pontoonlew
That tweet from Stockwood goading fans who dared to say the January window was excrement looks really stupid now.

Loads of work to do in the summer, there can be absolutely no excuses now IMO.

I thought it was an immature tweet from him at the time, and I noticed that tweet was getting some ammunition from people last night.

January was poor, Emmanuel and Lloyd are good, but unless either of them will be here next season, what is the point?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 123
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 8, 2023, 2:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from chaos33

Think Hurst was making the point that those who played were below standard in their performance, but that their ability as evidenced should lead everyone to believe that they could and should have performed much better. I think it did duck the notion of whether the formation/strategy was right. One of those aspects is down to the players as individuals and as a collective and one is down to him.

Hard to speak with complete certainty but I would suggest that the starting eleven yesterday would be fighting relegation if that was the best we could put out. The lack of height, physicality and numbers in a forward position was just alarming in its absence resulting in our midfield continually playing the ball sideways and backwards given the lack of forward options. Both Lloyd and Khan are decent players but not as a front two with thirty yards between them most of the time. After halftime we looked half decent until that penalty but even as it went in I fancied us for a 3-2 win but instead we capitulated and allowed  Hartlepool to dominate. Managers can’t be blamed for individual errors but his first half tactics lost us the game as it gave Hartlepool the ascendancy and confidence that we were there for the taking.

Would accept this if it was a one off but this season, and during his previous time with us, Hurst has struggled to find a formula that allows us to dominate a home fixture and the vast majority of games are tedious and lacking in any form of entertainment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 123
RonMariner
April 8, 2023, 4:49pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,843
Gold Stars: 227
Yes it is depressing to lose at home in this manner but let’s keep a little perspective. When I look at the top seven in League 2, which we hope to be next season, I see that we have beaten Northampton, Stockport and Mansfield, and taken points off Bradford, Orient and Stevenage. It only Carlisle that we are pointless against.

So maybe we aren’t quite as hopeless as yesterday’s performance suggests. Three or four strong additions in the summer and we may be a different prospect. I happen to think that we do need an influx of some tough physical specimens as that does seem a requirement in this division.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 123
HerveJosse
April 8, 2023, 4:58pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from RonMariner
Yes it is depressing to lose at home in this manner but let’s keep a little perspective. When I look at the top seven in League 2, which we hope to be next season, I see that we have beaten Northampton, Stockport and Mansfield, and taken points off Bradford, Orient and Stevenage. It only Carlisle that we are pointless against.

So maybe we aren’t quite as hopeless as yesterday’s performance suggests. Three or four strong additions in the summer and we may be a different prospect. I happen to think that we do need an influx of some tough physical specimens as that does seem a requirement in this division.

We haven’t beaten Mansfield unless you are including the Pizza trophy and we have taken a point not points against the other three you mention.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 123
Mappers
April 8, 2023, 5:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,492
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from RonMariner

I think we need a few big ens Ron
How many outfield players have we got that are over 6 foot maybe 5 or 6 in the whole squad ?

We need a couple of lumps up top for sure ,if we are going to launch it (which we invariably do at times ) we need one there (Taylor like ) and then one for off the bench

I would actually look at going 4 up top at home  when teams park the bus and its in the air a lot , i know Paul wouldnt but something drastic needs to happen to improve results at home next season .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 123
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Absolutely disgusted

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.