Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 2 Things I Did At BP For 1st Time In 45yrs…
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 150 Guests

2 Things I Did At BP For 1st Time In 45yrs…

This thread currently has 2,254 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Spidey
April 7, 2023, 5:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +385
Gold Stars: 4
1:  Left Early
2:  Gave Abuse To The Manager.

After 45 yrs of following this team I’m afraid to admit that I did these two things today.
If you know me you’ll know I’m probably one of the quietest and nicest people you’ll probably meet, but today this team selection and performance got me seething. I’m usually pro Hurst, but on my way out from The Main, I told Hurst that he’s a disgrace, I wasn’t proud doing it and I’m not posting it on here to “show off” but to just show how frustrating this team is and how it’s even made an ordinary quiet Joe like me so angry.
Yes he’s only had a few weeks pre season to assemble the squad, yes he’s done well to get us out the NL twice, yes he’s given us the ups and downs of Wembley finals and yes he’s got us into the quarter finals of the FA Cup, so it’s so frustrating that he can do the hard things, and yet he can’t select an attacking 11 to entertain a full crowd, which he knew there would be today, against a team second from bottom of the table. Yes the 1st half non attacking 11 only conceded one goal, but we could have been in a better position at half time.
I’ll be the first to praise Hurst when he deserves it, but today our relationship is strained!
Anyhow, see you all at Donny on Monday, and hopefully I’ll be in a better mood afterwards.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Vance Warner
April 7, 2023, 5:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,830
Gold Stars: 106
Managers who were a disgrace

Mick Lyons
Russel Slade Mk 2
Mike Newell

Managers who have achieved 2 promotions and incredible cup runs but have still been abused by fans in the Main Stand after losing a game

Alan Buckley
Paul Hurst
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
MarinerWY
April 7, 2023, 5:58pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,992
Gold Stars: 47
"Yes he’s only had a few weeks pre season to assemble the squad, yes he’s done well to get us out the NL twice, yes he’s given us the ups and downs of Wembley finals and yes he’s got us into the quarter finals of the FA Cup"

I'll take those, and as frustrating as today was, I'd still judge Hurst's year as a huge success given we could still be down in Non League.

Not sure how he's "a disgrace" - the performance maybe, but Hurst as a person? He's committed to the club and has delivered success - we are back in the league, safe and financially stable thanks to a great cup run.

If you have an off day at work do you get abuse thrown at you too?
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
Spidey
April 7, 2023, 6:00pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Vance Warner

Mick Lyons
Russel Slade Mk 2
Mike Newell

Managers who have achieved 2 promotions and incredible cup runs but have still been abused by fans in the Main Stand after losing a game

Alan Buckley
Paul Hurst

Perhaps the term "your a disgrace" is abuse, but hope it generally comes over as mild abuse and frustration, and like I said, I'm not proud of it, but as a very passionate supporter I got very angry. And yes I agree Hurst had done very well for us and we have been fortunate to have him and he has bought us success, but does that make him immune from "mild" abuse, when he clearly makes a selection mistake that 99% of fans agree about? If we went on a 20 game winless run, and he kept playing the same 11does that make him exempt from "mild" abuse because of his past success?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
HertsGTFC
April 7, 2023, 6:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Spidey
1:  Left Early
2:  Gave Abuse To The Manager.

After 45 yrs of following this team I’m afraid to admit that I did these two things today.
If you know me you’ll know I’m probably one of the quietest and nicest people you’ll probably meet, but today this team selection and performance got me seething. I’m usually pro Hurst, but on my way out from The Main, I told Hurst that he’s a disgrace, I wasn’t proud doing it and I’m not posting it on here to “show off” but to just show how frustrating this team is and how it’s even made an ordinary quiet Joe like me so angry.
Yes he’s only had a few weeks pre season to assemble the squad, yes he’s done well to get us out the NL twice, yes he’s given us the ups and downs of Wembley finals and yes he’s got us into the quarter finals of the FA Cup, so it’s so frustrating that he can do the hard things, and yet he can’t select an attacking 11 to entertain a full crowd, which he knew there would be today, against a team second from bottom of the table. Yes the 1st half non attacking 11 only conceded one goal, but we could have been in a better position at half time.
I’ll be the first to praise Hurst when he deserves it, but today our relationship is strained!
Anyhow, see you all at Donny on Monday, and hopefully I’ll be in a better mood afterwards.

There was 11 players on the pitch that also need to take account for today.

I expected to look at the dugout and see Bignot sat there TBH.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
CSLM
April 7, 2023, 6:44pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
I can understand where you are coming from mate.
It was obvious after 5 minutes that the set up was never going to work and how we didn't change anything before half time I will never know.
Tbf the half time alterations were what I was hoping for. The game reminded me of the Salford match where we got back into it, looked like we were likely to score again, and then fall to pieces in no time.
I like Hurst and do think he can take us forward but sometimes the decisions, or lack of, are frustrating. I can't remember which game it was last season, possibly Bromley at home, when it was blindingly obvious we needed a winger on the left and nothing happened. To say it was there for the taking is a massive understatement and we contrived to lose.
There have been a lot of home games this season where I can't help but feel we could've won the game by being more adventurous. Yes we could have lost out on a few draws but surely couldn't have gotten less points.
Oh well hopefully we can get some decent business done in the next few months, we aren't a million miles away which does sound ridiculous after today lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
arryarryarry
April 7, 2023, 6:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Vance Warner

Mick Lyons
Russel Slade Mk 2
Mike Newell

Alan Buckley
Paul Hurst

Managers who have taken us out of the Football League

Paul Groves
Ian Holloway/Paul Hurst
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
Spidey
April 7, 2023, 6:53pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from MarinerWY
"Yes he’s only had a few weeks pre season to assemble the squad, yes he’s done well to get us out the NL twice, yes he’s given us the ups and downs of Wembley finals and yes he’s got us into the quarter finals of the FA Cup"

I'll take those, and as frustrating as today was, I'd still judge Hurst's year as a huge success given we could still be down in Non League.

Not sure how he's "a disgrace" - the performance maybe, but Hurst as a person? He's committed to the club and has delivered success - we are back in the league, safe and financially stable thanks to a great cup run.

If you have an off day at work do you get abuse thrown at you too?

Sensible post. I get abuse at work even if I’m not having an off day!
In hindsight perhaps I should have said that the performance was a disgrace, rather than actually aim it at Hursty, but I definitely will shout praise at him when we do something positive next time, hopefully it’ll make me feel not so guilty for venting my frustration at him today.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
Spidey
April 7, 2023, 6:58pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

There was 11 players on the pitch that also need to take account for today.

I expected to look at the dugout and see Bignot sat there TBH.

Yeah I agree there are 11 players that are accountable, but what was frustrating mate was the negative line up, people say that players need resting but why? We have nothing to play for so go out and play attacking football, especially at home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
MarinerWY
April 7, 2023, 7:16pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,992
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from Spidey

Sensible post. I get abuse at work even if I’m not having an off day!

When I typed that bit I did think that there are a few jobs that abuse is par for the course so wouldn't necessarily make the point I was trying to!

Fair point about the flip side of giving positive feedback. I'd just focus on the performance not the character of someone, unless they are intentionally being an bottom

Still, at least Wrexham lost eh, nice one Halifax
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 2 Things I Did At BP For 1st Time In 45yrs…

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.