3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
geir
April 7, 2023, 7:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9

What is better than asking an AI (artificial intelligence) about Grimsbys problem? So I went into Chat GPT and asked the following question:

How can Grimsby Town FC score more goals in league games?

The answer was as follows:

"There are a number of strategies that Grimsby Town FC could consider to score more goals in league games:

1. Improve the team's overall fitness and conditioning: This can help the players to maintain their performance levels for longer periods during matches, giving them more opportunities to score goals.

2. Develop a more creative attacking strategy: The team could work on developing more intricate passing moves and using more varied attacking options to create more chances in front of goal.

3. Focus on set-piece opportunities: Grimsby Town FC could work on improving their set-piece routines, such as corner kicks and free kicks, to create more goal-scoring opportunities from these situations.

4. Sign more attacking players: The team could look to sign additional attacking players with a proven track record of scoring goals, in order to increase the team's overall goal-scoring threat.

5. Analyze the opposition: The team could analyze their opponents' defensive weaknesses and tailor their attacking strategy accordingly, in order to exploit these weaknesses and create more goal-scoring opportunities.

It's important to note that scoring more goals is not solely down to the players on the pitch but also the training, tactics, and strategy set by the coaching staff. By working on these areas, Grimsby Town FC can improve their chances of scoring more goals in league games."

I certainly think this is all good advice for Mr. Hurst to take notice of. An IA is never wrong (until they they create Skynet and take over the world, that is...)  

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
lukeo
April 7, 2023, 7:49pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
It's not the lack of forward players who can score goals. For me it's the formation, tactics and where you play these players.

Lloyd and McAtee could easily bag 15+ goals in an attacking team. Add to that the likes of Holohan and Clifton who can bag a few, Waterfall will always get the odd 1. Plus any others I may have missed but in my opinion those I've missed, although may get the odd goal, aren't good enough to help push us up the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
HertsGTFC
April 7, 2023, 8:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from lukeo
It's not the lack of forward players who can score goals. For me it's the formation, tactics and where you play these players.

Lloyd and McAtee could easily bag 15+ goals in an attacking team. Add to that the likes of Holohan and Clifton who can bag a few, Waterfall will always get the odd 1. Plus any others I may have missed but in my opinion those I've missed, although may get the odd goal, aren't good enough to help push us up the league.

As every day passes I’m convinced you live in a parallel universe, the players we have in attack just aren’t good enough, dead easy!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
lukeo
April 7, 2023, 8:22pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Lloyd is definitely good enough, in my opinion, to be in a top end of league 2 side. I guess only time will tell. Mcatee I'd say league 1 (no way will he play regularly for Luton, but who knows)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
TownSNAFU5
April 7, 2023, 8:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
A parallel universe is probably the only place where we would beat the mighty Hartlepool!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
GrimRob
April 7, 2023, 8:38pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,451
Gold Stars: 115
Chat GPT still thinks we are non-league. It's living over a year in the past.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 24
MuddyWaters
April 7, 2023, 8:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from lukeo
Lloyd is definitely good enough, in my opinion, to be in a top end of league 2 side. I guess only time will tell. Mcatee I'd say league 1 (no way will he play regularly for Luton, but who knows)

Based on this season, McAtee is League 2 because he plays for himself. Too many good situations wasted because he doesn’t look around him.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
HertsGTFC
April 7, 2023, 8:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from lukeo

Both would be (potentially) really good playing in a side with better players.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
HerveJosse
April 7, 2023, 9:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
6  Get a new manager
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
arryarryarry
April 7, 2023, 9:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from lukeo

He's ok probably better than most of the young players Hurst brings in but I think we need someone more physical up front but how many games does Hurst actually start with two strikers.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 7, 2023, 10:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Was just looking up the stats, did you know weve only had 6 headed goals all season? And those wont necessarily all have been from corners. Thats probably as big of a miss for us from last season as mcatees goals have been. Seems an atrocious stat that for a team that ought to have been focusing on set peice goals missing an in-form striker the whole season

The odd thing is aswell, were only about 10 goals scored behind 1st and 2nd in the league, but weve conceded twice as many. And our home defence stats are woeful really. Not sure why i felt that we were fairly solid at the back, definately think itd be worth bolstering that back line over the summer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
mimma
April 8, 2023, 11:50am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Don't think it's the back four that is the problem, we are too lightweight in midfield and easily over run, as was the case Friday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
Mariner John
April 8, 2023, 12:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +633
Gold Stars: 54
It might help if we passed it to each other. Also if every timecwe kick off we play it the same spot on the pitch. Or we could take corners that get further than the front post. Link up play is almost non existence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
arryarryarry
April 8, 2023, 3:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mimma
Don't think it's the back four that is the problem, we are too lightweight in midfield and easily over run, as was the case Friday

Looking at the goals yesterday and a fair number this season the back, 3,4 or 5 have been the problem.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
MuddyWaters
April 8, 2023, 4:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Looking at the goals yesterday and a fair number this season the back, 3,4 or 5 have been the problem.

A lot of goals conceded this season have been as a result of poor defending in our right back area.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
chaos33
April 8, 2023, 4:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
I think it’s a bit of a puzzle that our full backs have frequently been done for goals conceded and yet I do rate Efete, Emmanuel, Amos and Ringo Starr and would still say they’re all good enough. When they’ve been good, they’ve been really good, but, I suppose, the conclusion has to be that their consistency and evidence of high standards/true ability has been sadly lacking. Think this is most visible in Glennon.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
Chrisblor
April 8, 2023, 4:40pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,961
Gold Stars: 241
Quoted from MuddyWaters

A lot of goals conceded this season have been as a result of poor defending in our right back area.

It's both full back positions really. Look at Bradford's third last week - lost the ball in a promising position in the top half of the pitch, they immediately spread it out to our left, easily get a cross in past Glennon and they're 3-2 up. This week it was Efete's turn to act like a turnstile. I'm not sure any of our full-backs are competent enough defenders to play regularly in League Two.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
chaos33
April 8, 2023, 4:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
If they can’t be more consistent, then they’re not.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
MuddyWaters
April 8, 2023, 4:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

It's both full back positions really. Look at Bradford's third last week - lost the ball in a promising position in the top half of the pitch, they immediately spread it out to our left, easily get a cross in past Glennon and they're 3-2 up. This week it was Efete's turn to act like a turnstile. I'm not sure any of our full-backs are competent enough defenders to play regularly in League Two.

Efete was at fault for three out of four at home to Salford and at least two yesterday. I have no doubt that he’s a great athlete but he has no sense of football awareness. It can’t be coached.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
golfer
April 8, 2023, 5:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from MuddyWaters

and left back and down the centre and in the air and on the ground
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
arryarryarry
April 8, 2023, 5:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Efete was at fault for three out of four at home to Salford and at least two yesterday. I have no doubt that he’s a great athlete but he has no sense of football awareness. It can’t be coached.

Considering his two recent goals, play him up front😉
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
MuddyWaters
April 8, 2023, 5:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Considering his two recent goals, play him up front😉

That’s not as ridiculous as it sounds.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
geir
April 8, 2023, 5:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The Chat GPT says this after being asked " Would Michee Efete make a good striker?"

As an AI language model, I don't have access to current information about individual player performance beyond what was available in my knowledge cutoff in September 2021. Additionally, determining whether someone would make a good striker requires analyzing their physical attributes, technical skills, and tactical understanding, as well as their ability to adapt to different game situations.

That being said, Michee Efete is a professional football player who has primarily played as a defender in his career, so it is unclear whether he has the necessary skills and attributes to play as a striker. However, it is possible for players to switch positions and adapt to new roles on the field, depending on their individual strengths and the needs of their team. Ultimately, whether or not Efete would make a good striker would depend on a variety of factors, including his own abilities and potential, as well as the needs and strategies of the team he plays for.

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
TwoLeftFeet
April 8, 2023, 5:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Chrisblor

Amos had come on when Bradford got there third.. tho tbf Glennon had struggled down that side before he was subbed..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
Norseman
April 8, 2023, 11:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from MuddyWaters

At least he would be out the way where his mess ups are not critical
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Some help regarding the lack of goals

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.