This thread currently has 9,404 views. Print
12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
April 7, 2023, 10:47pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,079
Gold Stars: 201

I'm now calming down after today's terrible performance.

Let's face it we aren't getting relegated or promoted.

He probably learnt more about the players today than if he had played our strongest team from the start.

In Hurst I trust.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
mariner tommy
April 7, 2023, 11:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,871
Gold Stars: 13
I’m afraid I don’t, ridiculous starting eleven against a side that’s second to bottom and conceded shed loads of goals, and they murdered us. I rest my case.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 116
Zmariner
April 7, 2023, 11:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from promotion plaice

He probably learnt more about the players today than if he had played our strongest team from the start.

In Hurst I trust.

I was thinking the same. In fairness he changed the abysmal starting line up for the 2nd half and before the penalty their looked only one winner. I suspect that quite a few will not be here next season and so quite a rebuild required. I am with Hurst and he will be hurting I am sure. We lack physical power and pace and he will know this. It was for me the worst performance of the season but I am over it. utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 116
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 7, 2023, 11:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,772
Gold Stars: 81
I’m not wanting Hurst out but I am wanting to see his approach to our tactics and team selection change for home games. There are some very unflattering statistics on other threads about our home record in the EFL since his return a couple of years ago. Underneath these statistics are the quality of football and entertainment on offer and these are as equally depressing.

What is so baffling is that they are in complete contrast to our performances in the playoffs and in the majority of this years cup games. One would have thought that given our success in these would have helped influence his approach when selecting a side and tactics for home matches. Away from home a few tweaks might help but in the main his tactical approach to these games is far more understandable.

Maybe he needs to look at changing his number two, which might appear harsh on Doigy, but someone with different ideas, approach and an alternative sounding board might be worth consideration. Certainly kept Ferguson at the top for twenty plus years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 116
Poojah
April 7, 2023, 11:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
There are clear issues right now, but we have a summer and beyond to put them right. If anyone doesn’t trust in Paul Hurst, they have short memories. His record of improving teams year-on-year when given the time to do so is unreal.

Next season will be different. I feel pretty confident in saying that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 116
MarinerDevil
April 7, 2023, 11:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,802
Gold Stars: 80
I have lost faith in Hurst twice before and both times he almost immediately made me feel very silly. This season has been joyous, frustrating and downright weird all at the same time, but that's football. I think Hurst will improve the side in the summer - by how much, I don't know.

However frustrating and limited Hurst is as a football manager, just remember that the club is going to see some significant change over the next few years, and the manager is at the centre of that regeneration as he is a key consultant on everything, from the youth strategy to the specifications of the new training ground. One day we'll need to move on from him and seek a more progressive coaching direction, but he's the only man I trust to lead us through this period of substantial change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 116
TheFryingSquad
April 7, 2023, 11:51pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: -124
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Poojah
There are clear issues right now, but we have a summer and beyond to put them right. If anyone doesn’t trust in Paul Hurst, they have short memories. His record of improving teams year-on-year when given the time to do so is unreal.

Next season will be different. I feel pretty confident in saying that.

His record of improving teams year on year is unreal, really?  His record of his teams falling away at the business end of the season is very real I’m afraid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 116
Norseman
April 7, 2023, 11:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from promotion plaice

In Hurst I trust.

Are we mathematically safe .No, and if we play like today for the rest of the season we will lose every game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 116
Zmariner
April 8, 2023, 1:41am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Norseman

Are we mathematically safe .No, and if we play like today for the rest of the season we will lose every game

Not at all, i tried the calculator. I got Crawley below us but not by much. I predicted that we got 3 home draws. One win should be enough. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 116
Mayaman
April 8, 2023, 1:57am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,422
Gold Stars: 74
If he's gonna play around with the starting lineup, I'd rather some of the young lads get a run out.  I've been impressed with Khouri's attitude during his cameos and would like to see more of him.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 116
12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In Hurst I trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.