Fan behaviour towards officials

This thread currently has 2,723 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
robborhino
April 16, 2023, 10:52pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +139
Do wonder sometimes that the abuse the officials get is a bit too much, not saying us fans can't disagree with decisions or no banter like the ref drops a card and we cheer but there was a lot of aggressive abusive language, yeah the officials didn't have the best of games but didn't excuse a lot of what I heard.

Logged Offline
Private Message
rancido
April 17, 2023, 10:24am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from robborhino
Do wonder sometimes that the abuse the officials get is a bit too much, not saying us fans can't disagree with decisions or no banter like the ref drops a card and we cheer but there was a lot of aggressive abusive language, yeah the officials didn't have the best of games but didn't excuse a lot of what I heard.

I'm more concerned about players behaviour towards officials. Whether you follow the sport or not at least in RU the players respect the officials decisions and that's how it should be.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 17, 2023, 10:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from rancido

I'm more concerned about players behaviour towards officials. Whether you follow the sport or not at least in RU the players respect the officials decisions and that's how it should be.

Agree. But, then the officials have to be stronger. Did collina ever have players giving him Sh1t?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
ska face
April 17, 2023, 10:34am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 852
The FA could stop this overnight if they wanted. Nobody speaks to the ref apart from either captain and whichever player commits the offence. Anyone else gets a yellow.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
rancido
April 17, 2023, 11:24am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ska face
The FA could stop this overnight if they wanted. Nobody speaks to the ref apart from either captain and whichever player commits the offence. Anyone else gets a yellow.

Totally agree! It's up to the FA to back the officials on this.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
HatTrickHero
April 17, 2023, 11:29am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
I agree, but even better bring in an orange card. Given for minor offences, those niggly things that arent worth a yellow but still spoil the game. And orange cards can keep being given throughout the game to the same player, and each one worth 1 point in the disciplinary charts. Most misdemeanors could still be dealt with by reds and yellows but some things that would get an orange card:
Kicking the ball away! happens every game, along with the new 'throwing the ball away' but no longer punished.
Approaching the ref aggresively
Keepers timewasting- these cards would rack up until the keeper gets the message.
Diving/simulation. This currently brings out a yellow on random occasions it seems.
Cupping your ears to the opposition crowd. JUST KIDDING! McAtee would barely play if he was on a scoring spree.

It's an idea thats been doing the rounds for some time and would need serious planning but the authorities seem more than willing to bring in expensive and complicated measures like VAR that clearly make things worse in anything other than a simple goal line check. Reffing is a tough job but they often don't help themselves, it just seems sometimes that the only thing missing from the game is the appliance of common sense.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
ska face
April 17, 2023, 11:36am

Vodka Drinker
Sounds like a lot of fannying about.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
robborhino
April 17, 2023, 12:02pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +139
Quoted from rancido

Yeah it is also an issue
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
HatTrickHero
April 17, 2023, 12:13pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from ska face

For sure, but but a whole panel of 'experts' taking 5 minutes and 6camera angles to still make the wrong decision when the ref could have done it in 5 seconds can't be the way forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
golfer
April 17, 2023, 12:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from ska face

Agree . We'd end up with more cards than dustbins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 17, 2023, 12:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from golfer

Agree . We'd end up with more cards than dustbins.

And games that last 4 hours!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
April 17, 2023, 1:05pm
Guest User
Wasn't there a law passed some years ago that had something to do with players rushing up to referees to try to influence their decisions?  What I despise the most is a gang of players rushing up to the ref waving imaginary cards at them to get a p[layer booked or sent off.
Reply: 11 - 23
Mappers
April 17, 2023, 1:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,494
Gold Stars: 120
Don't know why anyone would want to do that with the amount of abuse they take .
That Nerdy one seemed not too fazed on Saturday .
The worst one was the lady lines person earlier in the season , a few took a shine to her and let her know in no uncertain way what they would like to do to her .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
lukeo
April 17, 2023, 4:38pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Sin bin works quite well in Somerset, I've never used it myself but played in a few games were a player has been sin binned... although technically what most of them were sinbinned for (abuse) is a red card offence
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 17, 2023, 5:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,310
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from lukeo
Sin bin works quite well in Somerset, I've never used it myself but played in a few games were a player has been sin binned... although technically what most of them were sinbinned for (abuse) is a red card offence

I think sin bins would be a good potential solution.....managers would start to go nuts at players being off the pitch for 10 minutes for something as daft as kicking the ball away at a free kick....you're leading a key promotion game 1-0 with 15 mins to go and your centre half misses 10 minutes of that for having too much to say to the ref?

Warnock would have steam coming out of his ears!

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
aldi_01
April 17, 2023, 8:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

I think sin bins would be a good potential solution.....managers would start to go nuts at players being off the pitch for 10 minutes for something as daft as kicking the ball away at a free kick....you're leading a key promotion game 1-0 with 15 mins to go and your centre half misses 10 minutes of that for having too much to say to the ref?

Warnock would have steam coming out of his ears!

That the same Warnock who once got players to feign injury to get a game abandoned?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
buckstown
April 18, 2023, 10:19am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,239
Gold Stars: 80
Have to say I feel a great deal of sympathy for football officials. Virtually all players are cheats and managers encourage it by saying "we have to be better at the dark arts because we'll be at a disadvantage if we're not". Referees can't act individually cos they'd get thrown out, it has to come from the top.
Just imagine after Smith had given the ball away for the third time on Saturday (pick any other town player in the first 45) all 4 officials sprint over to the town dug out and surround Hurst, demanding he subs him because of his mistakes. I know its a ridiculous image, but that's what the ref faces twenty times a game
It's the same with time wasting, it's now the norm and we the punters are being ripped off. We cheer when Max goes down with cramp but it's a disgrace really and something has to be done
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
OddShapedBalls
April 18, 2023, 10:51am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from rancido

It's not a perfect system in union, but it is far better than what officials have to work with in football.  Even basic stuff like if the ref awards a penalty against you and you gob off at him for it, he can march you back 10 metres straight away, and a second time if neccessary straight after.  Imagine a 50m out free kick becoming a 30m free kick because the defender complained....it would cut out 95% of the abuse overnight.

The refs need to be better though as well, last Friday Scarlets were subjected to a crap ref who ignored 3 dangerous high tackles, allowed an obvious forward pass for a try and had no idea what was happening in the scrum, he was losing control because he was rubbish and the players had no confidence in him. The week before that Wayne Barnes reffed Scarlets vs Clerrmont and aside from the fact he speaks french and english so could communicate clearly with everyone on the pitch and the coaching teams, he took the time to learn each players name pregame and so his instructions were clear and precise ie 'Josh, hands out of the ruck please' instead of the usual generic 'hands out', which could be directed at anyone.  That's going to an extreme but the point is that the communication was so clear it helped the game flow as well as created less ill feeling towards Barnes.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
ska face
April 18, 2023, 11:04am

Vodka Drinker
All this “yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir” rugby Union nonsense will never catch on in football - it’s a cultural thing, where most professional rugby union players are conditioned to be that way through years of being bullied to within an inch of their lives by boarding school masters who then ref them rolling around in the mud the next day.

We tried the 10 yard advancing rule for dissent about 20 years ago and it got knocked on the head sharpish because refs just weren’t consistent enough in its application. There’s an obsession in football with trying to over complicate everything, in part driven by people with a financial interest in doing so. I think the FA enjoy the spectacle of refs being hounded by groups of players because it makes for exciting telly and gives shirt sponsors guaranteed screen time.

I said years ago that VAR was just another opportunity for advertising, and this became clear to me at Southampton where I was stood looking at their big screen for half the night rather than the pitch. Given the opportunity, it’ll be orange cards sponsored by Wotsits or a player sent to the Biffa Sin Bin.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
Mariner John
April 18, 2023, 12:26pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +634
Gold Stars: 54
Maybe we could have linesman women actually take part in the game. Or refs look at them now and again for a Decision. With football young kids cheat and are taught to cheat from an early age, in fact management approve of it. 2 weekends of refs actually applying the laws it could all change, or not
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
Mappers
April 18, 2023, 1:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,494
Gold Stars: 120
Some of them look like they enjoy it though , almost turns them on flashing their little cards around and waving their arms about , they must do or why would they do it ; let them get on with it i say and 'take some' when it's dished out .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
rancido
April 18, 2023, 1:14pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ska face
All this “yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir” rugby Union nonsense will never catch on in football - it’s a cultural thing, where most professional rugby union players are conditioned to be that way through years of being bullied to within an inch of their lives by boarding school masters who then ref them rolling around in the mud the next day.

We tried the 10 yard advancing rule for dissent about 20 years ago and it got knocked on the head sharpish because refs just weren’t consistent enough in its application. There’s an obsession in football with trying to over complicate everything, in part driven by people with a financial interest in doing so. I think the FA enjoy the spectacle of refs being hounded by groups of players because it makes for exciting telly and gives shirt sponsors guaranteed screen time.

I said years ago that VAR was just another opportunity for advertising, and this became clear to me at Southampton where I was stood looking at their big screen for half the night rather than the pitch. Given the opportunity, it’ll be orange cards sponsored by Wotsits or a player sent to the Biffa Sin Bin.

But surely a cultural thing can be reversed in the same way as racism and sexism have been. It's not like ' yes sir, no sir ' but more about respect for those officiating the game

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
arryarryarry
April 18, 2023, 3:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
They shouldn't have scrapped that rule that if a player objects to a foul or decision the referee moves the free kick 10 yards up the field.

If my memory serves me right I think we scored from a free kick at Chesterfield after a referee did that.

Whatever happened to the chant

Oh oh oh oh what a referee, SHITHOUSE.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
rancido
April 18, 2023, 4:48pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Your belief that RU is dominated by ex public schoolboys is a myth in this day and age. Since the game became professional it has attracted thousands of followers who had state funded education's, the more so since England won the RU World Cup. It's this reverse snobbery from some quarters that perpetuates this falsley perceived ' class divide' that only ' posh public schoolboys' play RU. I have many friends from working class backgrounds who play or have played RU. It is taught in many state schools but more so in the Midlands and South West. Football could learn a lot from the discipline and respect that exists in both forms of rugby. Sadly if people persist in wearing blinkered vision to this then we will never see a change in the deteriorating situation we have with footballers and those officiating the game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fan behaviour towards officials

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.