Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 167 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 7,811 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
April 19, 2023, 1:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from Bigdog

Me too. Looks very lazy in comparison to Efete, didn't defend as well, didn't get forward much and didn't put any crosses in, never mind good ones. Probably looked after the ball slightly better, but has 50p heading ability.. Has only ever looked half decent with Efete behind him and providing the overlap..

He doesn't look like a full-back to me.  Looks a bit lost defensively and then like he's got a leash on him when trying to get forward.  If we're going with wing-backs I think he'll be a fine addition, but otherwise I think he just looks ok. Nothing more.

A lot of people seem to think we'll be struggling to hold onto him.  Bar a 15 minute cameo against Northampton he's really just plodded along since signing for us.  There's absolutely something to consider in terms of how long he was out of the game and then went straight into our first team fold, but if I was the manager of a League One/Two club I don't think I'd be ready to burst my budget on him.  

I'd say the same for Andy Smith, he's shown patches where he's very exciting but then enough to show that he's a fair way off that next level just yet.  Hull have aspirations to get into the Premier League and he's a long way off playing a part in that type of team, again yet.  Using the League One/Two manager shoes again, I wouldn't be desperate to add him to my squad.

I think Hurst will want them in his squad next season as he identifies people, characters and personalities - then he can develop them into his team.  For both he's started this and I think he'll want to continue it, I also think both will get a lot better here next season.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 87
Les Brechin
April 19, 2023, 1:51pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Was it just me who was absolutely freezing in The Upper last night. I couldn't believe how cold it was after the fairly reasonable day we'd had before.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 87
ginnywings
April 19, 2023, 1:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Les Brechin
Was it just me who was absolutely freezing in The Upper last night. I couldn't believe how cold it was after the fairly reasonable day we'd had before.

Not just you Les.

A lot of people were caught out by the cold and inappropriately dressed. Person sat next to me didn't come back after half time and I saw them sat in the bar when i left at the end of the game. Stayed there for the second half by the looks of it.

That wind was bitter and still is. I'm on the seafront with my dog and its fecking cold.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 87
Poojah
April 19, 2023, 2:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,780
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from ginnywings

It's a case of being happy with the destination, but not the journey. A bit like driving to Cornwall.

And Devon, apparently...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 87
HerveJosse
April 19, 2023, 2:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from 137

Is 'people who lack a positive outlook bias' the new high-falutin' phrase for what we used to call "miserable gits" in days gone by?

For some yes bit like thinking telling a depressed person to cheer up .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 87
Ruston AT
April 19, 2023, 2:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +426
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Les Brechin

I agree with you, I wonder though if the side panels that have fallen out/broken (on both ends of the stand) were replaced would've helped?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 87
RonMariner
April 19, 2023, 4:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,847
Gold Stars: 229
I thought Barrow were the better team overall and it's no fluke that they are in the top ten. Their passing accuracy was streets ahead of ours, and they seemed to be first to the ball almost every time it broke loose. Not sure if it was my imagination but every one one of their out field players looked bigger than most of our players. They seemed a physically stronger team. I have felt for some time that L2 calls for some more robust units in the side. We can look a little lightweight.

On another night Barrow might easily have had a couple of goals, but as ever, the team that takes their chances wins. And we did that thanks to fine approach work from Holohan and Lloyd, and a great finish from Orsi who must surely be worth a start at the weekend.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 87
OddShapedBalls
April 19, 2023, 4:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from diehardmariner

He doesn't look like a full-back to me.  Looks a bit lost defensively and then like he's got a leash on him when trying to get forward.  If we're going with wing-backs I think he'll be a fine addition, but otherwise I think he just looks ok. Nothing more.

A lot of people seem to think we'll be struggling to hold onto him.  Bar a 15 minute cameo against Northampton he's really just plodded along since signing for us.  There's absolutely something to consider in terms of how long he was out of the game and then went straight into our first team fold, but if I was the manager of a League One/Two club I don't think I'd be ready to burst my budget on him.  

I'd say the same for Andy Smith, he's shown patches where he's very exciting but then enough to show that he's a fair way off that next level just yet.  Hull have aspirations to get into the Premier League and he's a long way off playing a part in that type of team, again yet.  Using the League One/Two manager shoes again, I wouldn't be desperate to add him to my squad.

I think Hurst will want them in his squad next season as he identifies people, characters and personalities - then he can develop them into his team.  For both he's started this and I think he'll want to continue it, I also think both will get a lot better here next season.

I see Emmanuel as Right-Mid to be honest, looks great going forwards and can play good footy, always looks a bit like defending is a chore for him though.  I'd be interested to see him used on the right wing freed of most of his defensive duties and see what he could do.  Like has been alluded to though, a short break and a proper full pre-season might see him looking far better than he's shown so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 87
Heisenberg
April 19, 2023, 8:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,115
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Les Brechin

I underestimated it big time - hoodie and gilet, as opposed to the usual ‘big coat’ - massive mistake. I actually know someone whose wife turned up at half time to take his daughter home as she was frozen!

The upper was bloody Baltic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 87
robborhino
April 19, 2023, 8:51pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +139
Glad it wasn't just me who was really cold in the upper, I thought I was being soft lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.