Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why we struggle to compete...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 146 Guests

Why we struggle to compete...

This thread currently has 4,370 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Brummie Codfather
April 22, 2023, 8:53am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 22
Great thread this.

For my 2 pence worth I think NE council go after the wrong things.  From what I’ve seen they’re searching for one big thing to jumpstart the area and drive things forward.  Be it the precinct, the daft palm tree or another big cinema.  

Whats seemed to work in Birmingham is making it easy for small local companies to get a start.  It’s changed massively for the better in the 8 years I’ve lived here.  With old former industrial areas with tiny rents like Digbeth, or Stirchley full org local companies that are booming.  The locals all fervently back them and almost ensure their success because they’ve got a connection to the city.

The big external retail investments that NE council seem to want to go for are the areas of Birmingham that have been least successful.  Especially with the investment in big department stores in the city centre. Now they’re failing, the ground space is too big for any other store to take on and rents too high for the local firms so they go to other areas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 22, 2023, 9:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
If, IF we are to project the areas of north east Lincolnshire as some kind of green energy metropolis, then the council/s would have to buy into it. Unfortunately I don’t see this happening as their reputation precedes them. Millions could be spent on the area but on the same script, millions could (would?) be wasted on the most meaningless enterprises and ideas. The tories, labour, brexit, loss of the fishing industry can all be blamed but, all I ever see is fingers pointing the blame and not a single thing being done about it.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 22, 2023, 9:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Brummie Codfather
Great thread this.

For my 2 pence worth I think NE council go after the wrong things.  From what I’ve seen they’re searching for one big thing to jumpstart the area and drive things forward.  Be it the precinct, the daft palm tree or another big cinema.  

Whats seemed to work in Birmingham is making it easy for small local companies to get a start.  It’s changed massively for the better in the 8 years I’ve lived here.  With old former industrial areas with tiny rents like Digbeth, or Stirchley full org local companies that are booming.  The locals all fervently back them and almost ensure their success because they’ve got a connection to the city.

The big external retail investments that NE council seem to want to go for are the areas of Birmingham that have been least successful.  Especially with the investment in big department stores in the city centre. Now they’re failing, the ground space is too big for any other store to take on and rents too high for the local firms so they go to other areas.

Agree wholeheartedly with this. You just have to look at places like the custard factory and the jewellery quarter on how the areas have redeveloped themselves.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
GollyGTFC
April 22, 2023, 12:07pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,057
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I get really drunk off with this kind of “ooh look at what they’re doing” thread.  

Looking over the fence and comparing our lot with incomparable situations at other clubs is pointless.

We had 20 years of decline under JSF and actually we’re on a decent road to recovery without 1878 waving their c0cks in the air shouting “look at us aren’t we great”.

You seen how many articles referencing his co-ownership of GTFC and football in general Jason Stockwood has had in the Guardian in the past 2 years? All good stuff generally but a fair bit of modest self promotion too.

Why is it that you consider all the many clubs of similar size to Grimsby who have managed to build a new stadium without bankrupting them or leaving them uncompetative as "incomparable situations".

Why can't we build a new stadium like Rotherham have? Or Chesterfield have? Or Shrewsbury have? Or Burton have? Or Boston have? Or (insert countless other clubs) have?

This Little Grimsby attitude that so many seem to go along with is getting boring now. And I'm saying that from a position of somebody who has never lived in Grimsby (no Dad left 8 years before I was born). It's like a whole swath of Grimsbarians have been brainwashed to think progress, nice things and modernity are for other Towns, but not North East Lincolnshire.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 38
Captain Sensible
April 22, 2023, 1:57pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
There always seems to be a factor that holds the town back and that is the lack of vision from the council, which has been the case for years regardless of the political make up of it.

Redevelopment in other cities and areas has always needed the local council to have a clear vision of what they want to achieve and that vision has always been ambitious and aspirational. Often a separate body has been formed to deliver the vision and not get bogged down in politics.

It feels 'very Grimsby' that the council are putting money into the precinct, flogging a dead horse rather than using the opportunity to think bigger.

I don't know if Grimsby's budget is smaller than equivalent areas or what.

An earlier poster suggested that the long term regeneration of the town may be tied to the future of the football club. That worries me...the football club can be a catalyst for change and can be a focal point for regeneration in a given geographical area but the regeneration of Grimsby can't be tied to a football club. It has come from a vision and an aspiration for the whole area.

A curious comment.  Surely refocussing Freshney Place onto a mix of leisure and retail, rather than just retail, is exactly what is needed?  How else are you going to kick start a viable night time economy in the town?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
April 22, 2023, 2:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from Captain Sensible

How else are you going to kick start a viable night time economy in the town?

Re-appoint Mike Newell?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
HerveJosse
April 22, 2023, 4:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144

Re-appoint Mike Newell?

I thought he did his drinking in the mornings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
Rick12
April 23, 2023, 9:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Mayaman
Used to go to Leeds in the 80's to buy records It was a rough as hell.  Get in, buy the vinyl and get out.  Went in the late 90's for a job interview.  It was a completely different place.   They'd revamped the old Victorian arcades. There was a buzz and people had jobs and any place that has folks with money in their back bin makes it a happier place.  Leeds is much better located than Gy but we have to start with what we are and where we are. We have to take more pride in the place. We can't even have a statue of our founder without it getting destroyed.  Gy has two great museums and Cleethorpes has a lot to offer , especially in the summer. I've lived in much worse places in the UK.  We need to big it up and stop the chavs and idiots destroying it and its reputation. Grimsby town centre needs revamping.  I am not sure how but we somehow need to revitalise it.  
Agree with a lot of your sentiments in that Grimsby needs redeveloping. People I know that have visited the area mostly all say the same "needs some serious regeneration".  On the subject of chavs ( council house and violent) I dont like to use that sentiment though . Often these lads grow up in disadvantaged backgrounds and its easy to get sucked into mischief . A lot of what these lads need are strong firm guidance with a loving hand alongside opportunities that engage their energy's in a constructive manner via youth clubs and the like I feel. I note that people in the Grimsby area have done it for the youth ( seen a tv programme on it for one). More positives like this and there is lesser chance of people engaging in youth crime I think.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
toontown
April 23, 2023, 11:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
The councils latest idea to improve north east lincs - ban metal detectors for no apparent reason...

https://www.theguardian.com/sc.....rists-with-100-fines
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Why we struggle to compete...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.