4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
aussiej
June 1, 2023, 8:38am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +118
Gold Stars: 17
A pre-season tour the fans could be part of would have been nice...   Lets hope there will be a chance to see them play in Spain...   Something like that would set the new season off with a bang and create more interest in the club...  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
diehardmariner
June 1, 2023, 9:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
I hate friendlies but seeing as Boston is just round the corner it’s be rude not to.

Boston isn't round the corner for anyone.  Regardless of how close you are (in terms of miles) or whatever route you take, it still feels like you have to slither through rabbit holes to get to it.

I like the schedule though, good mix of local games and test against sides from the level above and then two in the case of Hull.

I think we would all like to return to those days when all clubs had a big marquee pre-season game against a top side, but those days are gone.  Nearly all Premier League and a large proportion of Championship clubs now go on overseas tours to maximise their income.  I think we've probably done well to get the friendlies we have.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
Rick12
June 1, 2023, 9:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Glad the club is spending a bit more pre season in going to Spain. Different culture and weather will do the players good I feel. Changing things up is often a good thing .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
Rick12
June 1, 2023, 9:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from aussiej
A pre-season tour the fans could be part of would have been nice...   Lets hope there will be a chance to see them play in Spain...   Something like that would set the new season off with a bang and create more interest in the club...  

Personally don't see it. Football teams like Grimsby would be seen as insignificant for the most part  .Out in Spain clubs like Real Madrid are massive and there's something called "pena's" which are satellite Real Madrid fans groups where fans congregate to support the club . I remember being in a small town near Malaga and when Real Madrid won the league there was quite a bit of fan fare I heard from the balcony with people honking car horns and cheering and the like .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
thornemariner
June 1, 2023, 10:54am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +658
Gold Stars: 22
I'll try and get to all of those. Love the friendlies. There are some good games in there and even better days out.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
RonMariner
June 1, 2023, 10:59am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,721
Gold Stars: 226
When are the Darts matches?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
Son of Cod
June 1, 2023, 10:59am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from aussiej
A pre-season tour the fans could be part of would have been nice

I got the impression from the fan's forum that El General really wasn't up for that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
OddShapedBalls
June 1, 2023, 11:17am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
There's a few of those sports complexes in Spain and Portugal isn't there, designed purely for sports teams - I assume we'll be going to one of those so not really something fans could get behind anyway.  I like the idea of a pre-season tour though, especially when you think about how cheap some areas of eastern europe are.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
AdamHaddock
June 1, 2023, 11:26am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,838
Gold Stars: 26
Decent list but thought we could have got one of the South Yorkshire clubs or Forest to come

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
diehardmariner
June 1, 2023, 11:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
Most likely out of our reach now.

Forest like to keep things local, already got something arranged with County which seems an annual thing.  Expect they'll do something with Burton too.  

Last year they played a few Bundesliga sides and will probably do the same with European opposition this year.

Last year Sheff Utd visited Lincoln, Scunny, Mansfield, Burton and Barnsley so a fixture with them wouldn't have been out of our reach.  However the events of 7 summers ago has probably killed any hope of that fixture for a while.

Wednesday didn't travel too far (Alfreton, Harrogate and then a bit further afield to Wigan) but probably the same as above for United as to why they won't/can't come here.

Barnsley arguably the more realistic option, they've got a game lined up against Hull so far but can't see anything else.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pre season schedule is out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.