4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
June 2, 2023, 8:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,569
Gold Stars: 1,501
I've posted earlier versions of this before but we now have the complete version for the season; in short, what the League Two table looks like based on "expected goals", as opposed to the rather more important statistic of actual goals.

Take it with a pinch of salt if you like, but I do think there's something in this. It has our xG against more or less in line with the number of goals we actually conceded, but has us almost 19 goals down on what we should have scored. According to the table, that should have led to an additional 23 points and a 5th place finish, instead of 11th.

For me, it reaffirms what we anecdotally know from last season. That we lacked composure in front of goal far too often, that we often didn't take advantage of long spells of dominance in games, and that all-in-all we aren't a million miles from being a top side at this level. Yes, League Two will be more competitive next season, but I firmly believe that with a bit of tweaking and a concerted effort to address these fundamental issues, we can be a force to be reckoned with.

[img]https://experimental361.files.wordpress.com/2023/06/2022-23-l2.png[/img]

https://experimental361.com/2023/06/01/expected-goals-table-league-2-2022-23/

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Swansea_Mariner
June 2, 2023, 8:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,455
Gold Stars: 63
I think it's another affirmation of how well we did last season. At points people were losing their heads thinking we might be sucked into another relegation battle but that didn't seem remotely plausible to me. Even when I saw us lose I thought generally we looked ok.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
June 2, 2023, 9:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
How far do you go and give credence to this sort of stuff?

What about the sitters missed against us? Those opposition shots that hit the woodwork or were brilliantly saved by Crocombe?

What about a wrong decision by the ref that impacts a game, or by the linesman? What if subs should have been used differently, or a different team or formation adopted?

Then there is a high chance that the wrong interpretation of data can be made, perhaps in this case the chances aren't being created for the right sort of player or not created well enough.

It's like a player who is lauded for having a high percentage pass rate, when in reality he passes the ball 5 yards sideways all game.

I would be very wary of stuff like this myself.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
pen penfras
June 2, 2023, 9:25am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71

What about the sitters missed against us? Those opposition shots that hit the woodwork or were brilliantly saved by Crocombe?

What about a wrong decision by the ref that impacts a game, or the linesman? What if subs should have been used differently, or a different team or formation adopted?

Then there is a high chance that the wrong interpretation of data can be made, perhaps in this case the chances aren't being created for the right sort of player or not created well enough.

It's like a player who is lauded for having a high percentage pass rate, when in reality he passes the ball 5 yards sideways all game.

The xg goals against would take into account those things, but I'm surprised our xg against is close to actual.

I think accuracy of these things at this level is hugely questionable. In the Premier league all matches are televised and you can replay every chance multiple times to analyse it. At this level you're relying on some anorak judging it in real time who is likely to be a fan so biased too.

I can only remember a handful of games where we dominated and had chances that didn't go in. I thought our biggest problem was creating chances, not missing them.

There's no way we deserved to be 5th on any metric last season. And anybody that thinks this is accurate has a very short memory of just how little we created at home for 80% of those games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
Son of Cod
June 2, 2023, 9:32am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
The makeup of our attack will be entirely different to last season though, so while this does prove we created a lot last season and had we been more clinical we'd have perhaps pushed for a playoff spot it's by no means a given that our xG will remain up next season. I think for all the chat about whether or not McAtee had a good season we'll see a downturn in our xG without him. I don't think his goal/assist stats tell close to the full story of his season and I think we were a much more creative and dynamic team when he played. Obviously, it's not all down to attack though and one of the positives to look at here is that we have retained an entire midfield (bar Morris who we hope we'll upgrade) and three out of four fullbacks that contributed to this.

I'm not fully sold on xG either and I'm with you in that stats like this should be questioned but I don't think this 5 yard pass comparison is necessarily fair as xG is calculated specifically on quality of chances. It's not inflated by things like a daisy cutter shot from 30 yards out rolling well wide for example.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
Mariner_09
June 2, 2023, 10:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55

What about a wrong decision by the ref that impacts a game, or the linesman? What if subs should have been used differently, or a different team or formation adopted?

I don't recall many of those at all, if any!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
Madeleymariner
June 2, 2023, 2:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Mariner_09

I don't recall many of those at all, if any!

Not exactly every game but he pulled off quite a few superb save over the season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
mimma
June 2, 2023, 3:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
I bet when Tshimanga was out for the rest of the season at Chesterfield, it made difference to their rating even though he was scoring all their goals.
It's an absolute joke
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
forza ivano
June 2, 2023, 5:25pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,201
Gold Stars: 265
Interesting, as it ties in with another stat I saw that had us down as having the 2nd highest amounts of shots in home games, behind Northampton. Think Mark Stilton tweeted it - can anyone confirm?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
June 2, 2023, 5:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
What an absolute crock of garbage this new age statistic is. How can you have an end of season table based on expected goals? They were expected but they didn't come. So theres an end to it. We finished 11th and we scored some goals, some of which were expected and some weren't. Another meaningless fabricated stat for the FIFA generation. It's balderdash.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › League Two xg Table 22/23

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.