5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
White_shorts
February 19, 2024, 2:44pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -647
Gold Stars: 12
It's been reported that ABP are looking at building a water tank for movie making.  I'm not sure exactly where that would be.  If it's the old fish dock, then that presumably prevents a stadium being built there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-68335592
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 49
White_shorts
February 21, 2024, 4:16pm
Lager Top Drinker
I thought there might have been at least one person here with an idea as to the possible size of a movie tank.

I did some research: Pinewood has an indoor tank that is 20m x 10m x 6m deep, and an outdoor tank 67m x 63m x 1m deep.  Something similar on the old fish dock might still leave room for a football stadium.

https://pinewoodgroup.com/services/water

Shutes said there would be more planning applications before the end of this month, so maybe we'll get some great news tomorrow or next Thursday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 49
White_shorts
February 28, 2024, 3:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor
Yeah I can't remember exactly where it was stated but it definitely involved filling in this part of the dock:

The whole thing sounded like a gigantic pipe dream, no idea what sort of funding streams he was eyeing up for this but it wouldn't surprise me if his last minute departure from the 1878 takeover troika had something to do with the other two telling him the new stadium aspect was a complete non-starter (and it seemed that was the only part of it Shutes had any interest in anyway, he's never been a Town supporter to my knowledge).

You could be right.  Shutes said he pulled out of the takeover due to "personal reasons", but that clearly hasn't stopped him pressing ahead with the ice factory.

Maybe we'll get some clarification tomorrow.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 49
crusty ole pie
February 28, 2024, 6:45pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,345
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from White_shorts

You could be right.  Shutes said he pulled out of the takeover due to "personal reasons", but that clearly hasn't stopped him pressing ahead with the ice factory.

Maybe we'll get some clarification tomorrow.

Why what’s happening tomorrow?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 49
ska face
February 28, 2024, 7:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from White_shorts
I thought there might have been at least one person here with an idea as to the possible size of a movie tank.

Presented without comment.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 49
Maringer
February 28, 2024, 8:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,514
Gold Stars: 185
Shutes' personal reasons might have been that he didn't want to lose a lot of money. As the saying goes, buying into a football club is a good way of turning a small fortune into a much smaller one...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 49
JK47
February 29, 2024, 10:50pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
When the UK government can back Jim Ratcliffe's controversial new plastic plant in the Netherlands to the tune of £600,000,000, the electrical and plumbing of Buck House to the tune of £350,000,000, the upgrading of London termini to the tune of between £1,000,000,000 to £4,000,000,000, and their own Palace of Westminster for a figure variously touted as between £3,000,000,000 and 30,000,000,000 as well as rebuilding a tumbledown hotel in my neck of the woods for £11,000,000+ Then there should be a clear case for building a sports facility in Grimsby that COULD be a powerhouse for the generation of green electricty, the encouragement of other green technologies, improving employment opportunities, transforming public road transport to electric vehicles at low cost, providing facilities for youngsters to play and excel at numerous sports, and many other pluses for an area that bounces along on the bottom of the country's deprived areas.

It just needs someone with a vision...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 49
mimma
March 1, 2024, 1:01am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
All that investment JK47 is south of the Watford Gap. We are too far north for any meaningfull investment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 49
JK47
March 1, 2024, 7:48am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from mimma
All that investment JK47 is south of the Watford Gap. We are too far north for any meaningful investment.

The hotel I told you about near me wasn't!  The Morecambe Eden Project isn't.

But there's another advantage to this year ..... the election. Money will be thrown about with abandon.  We want some of that!  And politicians will be falling over themselves to "fix" things and show their green credentials.  We'd be doing them a favour by taking a load of cash off their hands...   And of course that excess HS2 money has to go somewhere....
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 49
jamesgtfc
March 1, 2024, 9:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,963
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from JK47

The hotel I told you about near me wasn't!  The Morecambe Eden Project isn't.

But there's another advantage to this year ..... the election. Money will be thrown about with abandon.  We want some of that!  And politicians will be falling over themselves to "fix" things and show their green credentials.  We'd be doing them a favour by taking a load of cash off their hands...   And of course that excess HS2 money has to go somewhere....

Lia, get yourself down to the club shop and start buying GTFC hats for your powerful friends in government!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Tom Shutes gets his wish

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.