2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
February 17, 2024, 8:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,252
Gold Stars: 226
A large feeling of anti Artell this evening...but...
I felt today that we DEFINITELY didn't play out from the back as consistently as we have done, a clear change in tactics IMO...
but we still shipped 5 by going a bit more direct....i think the different approach was a definite nod to public opinion..

Players regularly serve up the ball to opposition when under little pressure...
Whether a midfield interchange, a counter attack, a defender with ample time....although I cannot say with 100% proof I DO IMAGINE that at Cheapside during the week the instructions from the coaching staff aren't.. "when you have a free header...nod it down to an opposing player"

And the same players  are then instructed to " if you lose the ball then put in a half arsed challenge that gives you a 20% chance of getting the ball back"....

He has picked the 11, he has to accept responsibility in some part...but in all honesty...the players at his disposal just aren't
good enough.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
grassbandits
February 17, 2024, 8:29pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +117
Gold Stars: 5
That midfield 3 though. Could Holohan or Hunt been worse?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
February 17, 2024, 8:35pm
Guest User
Personally I thought they were playing it out until before the penalty, then got bollocked for dropping the plan at half time. Hence the flaccid second half.
Reply: 2 - 16
HerveJosse
February 17, 2024, 8:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Would you employ the devils advocate ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
February 17, 2024, 8:40pm
Guest User
Frankly I’d employ the devilled avocado at the moment.
Reply: 4 - 16
moosey_club
February 17, 2024, 8:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grassbandits
That midfield 3 though. Could Holohan or Hunt been worse?

I have criticised that elsewhere...but the public wanted less tippy tappy....that midfield delivered that in spades today...
First half we dominated 35 mins of it...
Albeit we were 2-0 down by then but we dominated....but hardly troubled the goal.

The crowd reaction from the last game  has steered today's selection and approach.....it failed.

Speaking with Donny fans after the game the most worrying thing they said was..."don't worry FGR and Sutton are terrible"....unfortunately the only difference I can see is that we gained more points earlier in the season and that credit is diminishing.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
BrMarin
February 17, 2024, 8:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 8
Yes, we did change strategy today and played out less which I think was the correct decision. We were also unfortunate in that they had 4 shots on target and scored 5 goals. Getting points is the manager's job though and unlucky or not, if you can't do that you should be gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
Zmariner
February 17, 2024, 9:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from moosey_club
A large feeling of anti Artell this evening...but...
I felt today that we DEFINITELY didn't play out from the back as consistently as we have done, a clear change in tactics IMO...
but we still shipped 5 by going a bit more direct....i think the different approach was a definite nod to public opinion..

Players regularly serve up the ball to opposition when under little pressure...
Whether a midfield interchange, a counter attack, a defender with ample time....although I cannot say with 100% proof I DO IMAGINE that at Cheapside during the week the instructions from the coaching staff aren't.. "when you have a free header...nod it down to an opposing player"

And the same players  are then instructed to " if you lose the ball then put in a half arsed challenge that gives you a 20% chance of getting the ball back"....

He has picked the 11, he has to accept responsibility in some part...but in all honesty...the players at his disposal just aren't
good enough.

An interesting point of view. I think from his interview it was clear there was more pragmatism in this performance, but the players just did not execute The team has serious issues. There is a complete lack of pace and the midfield is one dimensional and the players are just not good enough
In a minority of probably one, I would give David Brent one game, he keeps speaking about the away form. He has one chance to get a good away. Result next week or the trigger should be pulled. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
moosey_club
February 17, 2024, 11:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Zmariner

An interesting point of view. I think from his interview it was clear there was more pragmatism in this performance, but the players just did not execute The team has serious issues. There is a complete lack of pace and the midfield is one dimensional and the players are just not good enough
In a minority of probably one, I would give David Brent one game, he keeps speaking about the away form. He has one chance to get a good away. Result next week or the trigger should be pulled. UTM.

I think it was the kick off of the second half, Donny kicked off....the Town midfield pressed and in one pass Donny beat the press and were running into 20 yds of space in midfield and eyeing up the goal.
Players are clueless.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
chaos33
February 17, 2024, 11:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,930
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from moosey_club

I think it was the kick off of the second half, Donny kicked off....the Town midfield pressed and in one pass Donny beat the press and were running into 20 yds of space in midfield and eyeing up the goal.
Players are clueless.

Yup. Noticed that too. Organisationally confused I thought. Stick or twist? Just a mess. We let their bang average players have yards and yards, time and again.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Devil's Advocate

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.