Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Tosser!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Tosser!

This thread currently has 6,019 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
GYinScuntland
March 8, 2024, 12:47pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
An ex moved from Lincoln to Milton Keynes and despite the distance we decided to carry on our relationship.
I spent two weeks there one day and unfortunately that was enough.
Drab concrete grid, no pubs, nothing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
mariner91
March 8, 2024, 3:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,671
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Hagrid

What a lovely post- My brother has downs, big town fan, football is a joy to him

Three doors down from mine is Rob who is my age and has Downs so lives with his mum. Football is his life. He gets involved at our local club where he helps the groundsman and puts the flags out. He's also a huge Lincoln fan as we're in Woodhall and it makes his day if he's on his drive and he can rush to the end of the drive as I walk past to tell me Grimsby lost at the weekend. Which he's got to do quite a lot this last year! He's a good lad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
bawarmy
March 8, 2024, 3:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,020
Gold Stars: 33
Two bit loser of a football that gets too much air time considering his ability. Nonce-sense
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
thornemariner
March 8, 2024, 4:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
I admire the stance of When Saturday Comes. When doing the season reviews, the only club they don't speak to is BFS.

I was based in South London at the time AFC Wimbledon came into being and I'm glad they got themselves back into the EFL.

I have a real library of football books and several deal with defunct clubs. It was clear that the populace of Milton Keynes couldn't be bothered to support a local side from the histories I read.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
Brazilnut
March 8, 2024, 6:10pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
Can anyone remember  Champagne Womble who use to come on the old fishy .....he seemed an alright bloke and talked a lot of sense

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
GrimPol
March 8, 2024, 6:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -684
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from Poojah

I’d suggest they deserve to experience having their beloved so-called football club taken away from them for a start. The very concept of MK Dons is morally bankrupt, and I won’t be satisfied until they are financially so.

Do I really need to explain the “why”? Do you know what, fúck it, you’ve triggered me (‘cos I really don’t like the cúnts), so I’ll give you an answer. Big deep breath…

Let me start by giving some credit where it’s due; the whole Wimbledon to Milton Keynes strategy actually made complete sense. On a spreadsheet. With a population of over 250,000, MK was one of the largest urban areas in the UK without a league club, in part due to the fact it was a new town founded in the 1970s. Better yet, it was probably the largest urban area in the UK nowhere near a so-called “big club”. MK is some 70 miles from Villa Park, and over an hour on a train to central London. A massive, untapped audience, just waiting to be unlocked. There was just a tiny flaw in the plan.

It was bóllocks.
Well Po
You see, when the so-called Dons played their first match in the town, some 20 years ago now, there were 2 types of people living in Milton Keynes:

a) Non-football fans
b) Football fans who already supported another club

This observation is obvious to anyone who follows football, but apparently not to the likes of Charles Koppel and Pete Winkleman. Naturally, converting non-football fans into regular, match-going supporters is very difficult, and converting fans of one club to another, nigh-on impossible. The only people actually capable of supporting a club like MK are therefore, by definition, freaks.

Unsurprising then, we regularly see 25,000 empty seats in MK’s fine, but tainted stadium. Here’s the thing though - it didn’t have to be this way.

It’s often forgotten that Milton Keynes already had a football club - Milton Keynes City FC. They were tiny, operating in the very lower reaches of non-league. It would have taken years to have brought that club to the football league; time that could be saved by harvesting the organs of Wimbledon.

But in doing so, they created a brand too toxic to touch. They created something almost impossible to rally behind. They have become the pantomime villain, and legitimately so. Ironically, it took AFC Wimbledon, with only fan powered resources, just 8 seasons to return to the football league, by which point MK Dons were only a league above them. As of right now of course they find themselves in League Two, separated from Wimbledon by just 10 points. For all their trials and tribulations, they have failed to make meaningful progress.

Had they played the long game, rather than taking the sleazy shortcut, then maybe, just maybe, they might have created a story its community could have been proud of and, in time, grown a healthy five-figure fan base. A fan base perhaps that could have seen them sustain Championship football and, then, who knows what beyond that? And no one would have begrudged them their success.

But they didn’t, and so in the world we actually live in, they are back where they started, little more than a small club rattling round in a big stadium, yo-yo-ing between league’s One and Two. At least for as long as the mouth breathers that follow them continue to turn up, and things aren’t looking to clever there as it happens.

This season will be comfortably their lowest average attendance since moving to Stadium:MK. To be even clearer, this season’s average is down 25% on their next lowest average. The project has failed. It’s fúcked.

Ultimately, it had to fail. No supporter in this country wants “franchise football”, and a successful MK Dons would have set a dangerous precedent. The only ones to blame are the bell ends behind this most moronic of experiments, and the mindless chumps that turn up to watch them.

Look, I reckon I could have a pint with a regular, match-going fan of just about any club in this country, be it Man City, Man United, Mansfield, or even fúcking Scunny, and find loads in common with them. But not MK Dons; I just don’t understand the mindset. I don’t understand how you could back something like that, either as a football fan or just a human being in general.

To borrow (tenuously) from the thread title; tossers, the lot of them.

Well Poojah, some weeks ago you lectured me and others about B Corp spreading Kindness and Inclusion and Equity. Very cuddly.
Seems there's a ring around Milton Keynes whose inhabitants can perish and burn hell as far as you are concerned.  Ah well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
toontown
March 8, 2024, 7:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,281
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from GrimPol

Well Poojah, some weeks ago you lectured me and others about B Corp spreading Kindness and Inclusion and Equity. Very cuddly.
Seems there's a ring around Milton Keynes whose inhabitants can perish and burn hell as far as you are concerned.  Ah well.

No, only around MK stadium, but yeah they can
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
TAGG
March 8, 2024, 7:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,944
Gold Stars: 126
I

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
HatTrickHero
March 8, 2024, 8:35pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
This isn't Pell being anti-Franchise FC though, it's just Pell being a nob and unpleasant to someone, anyone who will get irritated by him. One day he'll move on from Wimbledon and end up playing them and being a nob towards them, because it's what he does.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
Poojah
March 8, 2024, 9:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,615
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from GrimPol

You’ve highlighted two instances where I’ve called people out for what I consider to be a lack of moral decency and emotional intelligence. I’m not sure where you think the contradiction is.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Tosser!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.