louth_in_the_south
March 29, 2024, 6:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,702
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from davmariner

It’s too late to sack him and hope for an improvement IMO. He should have gone after Donny. Let’s not forget he only changed approach because he was forced into it.

💯,, having to change his whole philosophy basically lost any credibility he had . 1878 bottled the tough decision after the Donny game . He can come on DN35  and come across as a good bloke but to me this is basically a desperate effort to connect with the fan base . Sorry Dave but we’re not stupid here in GY . We’ve been through so much the last 15 years , no one is going to pull the wool over our eyes mate . We’re damaged goods and know the signs . Take your bolloc.ks somewhere else .

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 260 - 276
TAGG
March 29, 2024, 6:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

💯,, having to change his whole philosophy basically lost any credibility he had . 1878 bottled the tough decision after the Donny game . He can come on DN35  and come across as a good bloke but to me this is basically a desperate effort to connect with the fan base . Sorry Dave but we’re not stupid here in GY . We’ve been through so much the last 15 years , no one is going to pull the wool over our eyes mate . We’re damaged goods and know the signs . Take your bolloc.ks somewhere else .

He's gone from "we definitely won't get relegated" when he came here to "we can fight our way out of relegation" or words to that affect in an interview last week.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 261 - 276
MuddyWaters
March 29, 2024, 6:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from golfer
Green was all go, the rest SHOULD go

The fact that Kieran Green gets in our starting lineup is exactly why we’re in this mess. Our midfield is woeful and has been all season.
Private Message
Reply: 262 - 276
Kris2
March 29, 2024, 6:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Maybe going down for a 3rd time and staying for a few years will humble our fans and get their chip of our shoulder but I doubt it. Won't be no Hollywood Jesus figure to bail us our either as the smell of fish and the boarded up buildings aren't as appealing as the villages of Wales full of Scousers who managed to make some money and leave another former fishing docks rotting dump.
Private Message
Reply: 263 - 276
Garth
March 29, 2024, 6:30pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
The worst thing today is not that we lost, but that we expected to
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 264 - 276
StacyColdicotts_hairline
March 29, 2024, 6:37pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Approval: +211
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Garth
The worst thing today is not that we lost, but that we expected to

Same as the wrexham game.

What really annoys me is that Barrow as like Wrexham, won the game way before the end of the 1st half and basically took there foot off the gas thinking about the next fixture. We were game managed after the first 45mins - Its bloody embarrassing.

I'm not going to bang on about times past when we were a 2nd tier team but this dross has been served up to us for too long and barring a decent run from slade we have had very little relief from it.

when is this club going to finally get its bottom in gear
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 265 - 276
golfer
March 29, 2024, 7:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
A team against individuals with no game plan
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 266 - 276
Mappers
March 29, 2024, 7:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,423
Gold Stars: 119

Same as the wrexham game.

What really annoys me is that Barrow as like Wrexham, won the game way before the end of the 1st half and basically took there foot off the gas thinking about the next fixture. We were game managed after the first 45mins - Its bloody embarrassing.

I'm not going to bang on about times past when we were a 2nd tier team but this dross has been served up to us for too long and barring a decent run from slade we have had very little relief from it.

when is this club going to finally get its bottom in gear

Something is majorly wrong with the club and has been for the best part of 2 decades - we are regular losers and it's in our DNA now , even the new owners are finding out how difficult it is to turn the ship around as a league club .

2 good football  league seasons  in 20 odd years is dreadful for a club of any standard , nevermind one with a decent heritage in the upper tiers of the English game .

I honestly thought we had bottomed out when we got relegated feom league 1 at Tranmere in the 03/04 season and apart from the mentioned Slade season we have punched well below our weight ; even before there was any sort of real financial disparity between clubs in this division and even now you see team after team , year after year punching above their weight - just look at Horkar Street and Barrow today .

I honestly don't know what the future holds , but when the fans are patronised for having a moan and told to 'back the team ' people need to be mindful that the fans have endured , continued to support and have the right to an opinion ; especially after such a long and painful demise .

I don't blame Artell , he's a very small portion of our recent past and current situation . I'm not even sure I blame the players - we should never have ended up in the position that we have to recruit of such low quality in the main .

I really don't want us to be in the National league again , we don't deserve having to endure anymore .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 267 - 276
hampshiremariner
March 29, 2024, 8:16pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,050
Gold Stars: 35
None of it should be blamed on any one individual, I agree. The decline has been endemic since we left the Championship all those years ago. People blamed it on the EU and thought non existent levelling up would do away with all the problems.In fact, nothing has been levelled up. Our ground is decrepit and they have been trying for 20 years to get a new stadium. The councils have no money to invest in a football stadium, yet a thriving football club brings pride to any area.

Poor recruitment has given us a squad that cannot play together and we seem to lack leaders and fight.
If we get out of this, I will start going to church, because it will be a miracle. Another weekend messed up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 268 - 276
mariner91
March 29, 2024, 8:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,742
Gold Stars: 262
I know our fans can get prickly at times but given that we’ve endured more than two decades of almost entirely shite it is understandable. Other than the two promotion seasons and one solitary cup run (and both of those seasons had long stretches where we were abysmal) some of the better times include failing in the non league play offs and lower mid table obscurity in L2. How desperately sad and pathetic is it that those are the good times?!

Other clubs have had large falls down the leagues as well but I can’t think of any other club who have had such a consistently long and large fall from grace this century. The fact that we’re still one of the best supported teams on the road in the division as well as averaging almost 6500 in a season where we’ve won a magnificent 8 games is absolutely astonishing. Other clubs’ fans would have given up by now. For all their good attendances currently look at Lincoln’s fan base. They went down one division and deserted them almost immediately. Couldn’t fill our away end for years and were getting sub 2000 attendances at home. Imagine how few would have stuck by them if they were three divisions below where they started this century and had had 20 years of consistent shít.

But I do feel like the light is fading somewhat and you can see it in this forum. Posters who have stuck by this club through the darkest of times are becoming increasingly fed up and out of hope. Even if we don’t go down this season, we all know that unless something major changes that we’ll be back down there playing Dorking and Tamworth in a season or two. I honestly don’t know why this club has been so bad for two decades but the fan base deserves so much more.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 269 - 276
28 Pages Prev ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Barrow A

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.