IlkleyMariner
April 17, 2024, 7:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,036
Gold Stars: 69
Folks
We need to come to terms with this phenomenon. World dominance of clubs like Grimsby.

The jewels of worldwide sharks are such that English footy will never be the same again. Scottish footy is in an even worse place. Imagine a player not good enough for Mariners is in a team who beats Glasgow Rangers.

Even if we survive this season, which I hope we do, I can’t see a pathway to success, despite what our very able owners pull out of the hat.

The new sky deal will mean we never need a stadium holding more than 8.000. The dynamic of TV money will change everything. It is what it is. We have had the good times. Prepare for the famine….
Logged Offline
Private Message
It Bites
April 17, 2024, 7:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,241
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Folks
We need to come to terms with this phenomenon. World dominance of clubs like Grimsby.

The jewels of worldwide sharks are such that English footy will never be the same again. Scottish footy is in an even worse place. Imagine a player not good enough for Mariners is in a team who beats Glasgow Rangers.

Even if we survive this season, which I hope we do, I can’t see a pathway to success, despite what our very able owners pull out of the hat.

The new sky deal will mean we never need a stadium holding more than 8.000. The dynamic of TV money will change everything. It is what it is. We have had the good times. Prepare for the famine….

We been in famine for years all this will do is help stabilise us for a few years . L2 /NL for another 10/20 years here we come

Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
DB
April 18, 2024, 9:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
The Future

Prem     Never

Championship  Pipedream

L1   Possibility

L2  Best Bet

NL  Don't want to think about it

Best Dream to copy     Luton from NL to prem
Worst nightmare to copy   Iron from Championship tp NLN

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
Mappers
April 18, 2024, 9:22am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,390
Gold Stars: 119
The dream financially at least would probably be a few years challenging for play-offs in league 2 with some decent cup runs , getting to Wembley a time or 2 and eventually getting to league 1 ....... where we would go from there would be the difficulty but I don't think reaching league 1 and being a low hitter there is a massive ask - Northampton , Exeter  and Cambridge all seem to be doing ok ; I honestly believe if we got there and managed to do well/stay up it would be an equal achievement to when we stayed in the champ year in year out . We just need to get things right on the pitch and accept where and what we are now .

We need to reset what our low bar is - relegation fodder in league 2 to NL. Be a team that never finishes below say 12th in league 2 and hope we can build upwards rather than these yo yo seasons that put everyone on edge . I don't think that's too much of an ask either , to at least finish where the budget probably sits .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
diehardmariner
April 18, 2024, 9:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,652
Gold Stars: 539
Folks

The facility is there and has been for a good few years now for fans to watch lower league football and not leave their armchair.  The 20/21 season it was legalised and it whet the appetite for it.  We all now of someone who can provide access to unlimited TV via a firestick for a fairly nominal fee.  That's existed for a while and as soon as the overseas broadcasts were introduced it was literally days before those feeds became available for everyone to watch if they went down that path.  It's just that more people were exposed to the comfort, pleasure, convenience etc. in 2020/21.  

Has that affected gates?  No.  

It's easier to watch games online.  It's cheaper, it's more convenient, it doesn't eat it into your whole day with no travel involved.  But it's not the same as going.  There's no social connection to it, there's no real emotion (or certainly not as much as when you're there), it's simply not the real thing.  Until we can get that immersive experience through our TV sets I don't think we have to worry about competing with the TV broadcasts.  The streaming of our games and those who watch will always be, in the majority, an addition to those in attendance.  By that I mean the people streaming will mainly be those who wouldn't have been able to go anyway.  Classic example, me on Tuesday night.  I watched it on the telly.  I wouldn't have gone though. Balls to travelling all that way.  Time off work/time away from the family/ridiculous costs/getting home at stupid o'clock and then feeling exhausted for days after.  Nope.  I'd have tuned in on Humberside or watched updates via Twitter.  That's the type of audience streaming fixtures will capture.  

The movement of games - will that impact on our attendances?  Again, no.  There's studies out there that show that the movement of games to Saturday lunchtime/evening for TV broadcast has limited to no impact on gates. Sunday games are even better attended.  3pm is what we're all used to but it doesn't suit everyone.  For some people they don't finish work on a Sat until 2pm onwards, or other start work at say 5pm.  

What I think will potentially be impacted is season ticket sales.  With the caveat of more games moved about, people might be more reluctant to commit knowing the risk of missing x number of games.  But that's the challenge to the club/clubs isn't it?  Make your product appealing enough that your selling enough matchday tickets on a game by game basis.  If we're playing well, doing well and BP is an exciting place to go we'll sell tickets if it's on telly or regardless what time it is.

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
lew chaterleys lover
April 18, 2024, 9:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Folks

Looking at the clubs from the Championship downwards I counted around 35 clubs who would be roughly comparable to GTFC if we were competing anywhere near our potential. All of them bar 3 are above us so there is plenty of room for improvement yet.

There are also a lot of clubs we used to be comparable with, but due to either new stadia or huge investment have left us behind.

As long as teams are promoted on merit, and no tinkering of the criteria for promotions are introduced there is always something to aim for.

Having said all that it is futile to think there will ever be a levelling of the playing field and at some point we need big investment.

Football is bigger than its ever been, and we are fortunate to be one of only 72 towns holding the coveted EFL status and long may that continue!
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
It Bites
April 18, 2024, 9:48am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,241
Gold Stars: 266
Guys I’m sorry but it ain’t happening is it ?yes dream but we’ll be in the NL again in the next 5 years
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
April 18, 2024, 10:02am
Guest User
Providing we stay up, I do think we’ll consolidate in League two. Chopping and changing managers did nothing for FGR.

Having said that, I don’t ever see us in the championship again.

But as long as we’re in the league with the occasional visit to league one and remaining solvent, I think that’s as much as you can hope for. The game has gone utterly insane and it’s ultimately a race to the bottom, financially.

Would I swap mediocrity for a stadium full of tourists and instagrammers?

Honestly, never.
Reply: 7 - 10
Abdul19
April 18, 2024, 10:08am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 218
In depth 90 minute appraisal of the state of the Scottish game  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
grimps
April 18, 2024, 10:53am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
It won't last forever !
One day another country with more money will take over from the Premiership and attract all the world's best players .
This'll have a knock on affect and players wages will drop throughout all of the leagues.
English clubs will always be able to get 11 footballers to play Infront of thousands of fans, they just might end up doing it for a lot less cash in the future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Corner shop v Tesco

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.