April 27, 2024, 7:09pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,658
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from GrimPol

Is that the best you can do?
I always know when I'm winning the argument when you attack the messenger not the message.

It was merely a jest and you are certainly not winning the argument. The football world has moved on and developed in so many ways in the last 30 years - data collection on players is one such area. No one thinks it is the " be all and end all" in identifying suitable players but it is a very useful tool. It saves a lot of leg work by scouts and fruitless watching players because some one thinks they are ok.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 94
Yoda
April 28, 2024, 12:05am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
JS took a massive dig at Hurst and Doig with that article.
And rightly so it’s obvious where he thinks the blame lies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 94
GrimPol
April 28, 2024, 2:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from rancido

It was merely a jest and you are certainly not winning the argument. The football world has moved on and developed in so many ways in the last 30 years - data collection on players is one such area. No one thinks it is the " be all and end all" in identifying suitable players but it is a very useful tool. It saves a lot of leg work by scouts and fruitless watching players because some one thinks they are ok.

Your two posts are different subjects. I have a healthy scepticism of Data Led selection, I am not fully convinced.
My point though was that JS is blaming PH for the farce that this season was. Well, yes, however, he's absolving himself from this mess.
If PH did not follow the Data Analyst pick, and went his own way, which must have been signed off by people above him. He didn't sneak them in, Mourinho-like, in the laundry basket. They condoned his picks.
Or, PH followed the Data Analysts list and it went spectacularly wrong. JS cannot sack himself, or AP or the Data Analyst, as its JS choice of travel. PH came in with the fixtures and fittings when they took over GTFC so off he goes.
But you don't want to look behind the screen, ask questions,  as it might just upset you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 94
Poojah
April 28, 2024, 2:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,877
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from GrimPol

Your two posts are different subjects. I have a healthy scepticism of Data Led selection, I am not fully convinced.
My point though was that JS is blaming PH for the farce that this season was. Well, yes, however, he's absolving himself from this mess.
If PH did not follow the Data Analyst pick, and went his own way, which must have been signed off by people above him. He didn't sneak them in, Mourinho-like, in the laundry basket. They condoned his picks.
Or, PH followed the Data Analysts list and it went spectacularly wrong. JS cannot sack himself, or AP or the Data Analyst, as its JS choice of travel. PH came in with the fixtures and fittings when they took over GTFC so off he goes.
But you don't want to look behind the screen, ask questions,  as it might just upset you.

If you ask me it’s this culture of Data Engineering Ignorance, or DEI (should be DIE), that will be the downfall of this once great country.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 94
RonMariner
April 28, 2024, 3:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,860
Gold Stars: 230
JS and AP have taken full responsibility for last season and have publicly apologised.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 94
Swansea_Mariner
April 28, 2024, 4:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,474
Gold Stars: 63
Is the approach going to work, there's no real way to know is there but it's worth giving a try as whatever we've been doing for the past 20 years has been pretty pants in most cases.

As for last season, again we can't know forsure. I suppose the counterfactual would be Hurst only signing player's recommended by the analyst.

If this scenario had come to pass, would we have faired any better, that's a massive???? Same coaching team, same views and ideas on tactics, same gut instincts and preformed ideas on in game moments. Same training ground activities and methods.

Different outcome who knows.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 94
GrimPol
April 28, 2024, 4:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Poojah

If you ask me it’s this culture of Data Engineering Ignorance, or DEI (should be DIE), that will be the downfall of this once great country.

Not sure if you are telling "jokes" or actually believe what you write

DIE stands for Diversity Inclusion Equity, now that will kill this country.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 94
Poojah
April 28, 2024, 4:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,877
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from GrimPol

Not sure if you are telling "jokes" or actually believe what you write

DIE stands for Diversity Inclusion Equity, now that will kill this country.

Does it really? How fascinating. Always liked Diversity myself; some wicked dance moves. Did you know the little one’s about 45 now. How time flies.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 94
rancido
April 28, 2024, 5:31pm

Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,658
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from GrimPol

In the article JS mentions that with all the data and insights available , we still ended up in a relegation battle? He explains that he and AP were " on a steep learning curve". He also explains that they did not fully integrate the new data lead approach throughout the organisation. " Traditional methods relying on an ' eye for a player' had propelled us out of the National League, so there was a resistance to placing data and strategy at the forefront ". I assume this is the criticism towards Hurst to which you alluded. JS openly admits that this was a mistake. " We lacked a defined game model, leaving recruitment decisions to the management team without a clear, owner-set strategy". JS clearly states that although we had recruited technical superior players, their potential was undercut by a clarity on their role. This can be clearly demonstrated by Hurst's persistence in playing Mullarkey at RB when his previous role had been as a right centre-back, a position he was more suited to. In other words, although he is critical of the decision to sign certain players by the team management, he is also admitting that he and AP were at fault for allowing this to happen.
Throughout the article he is just as critical of himself and AP as he is of PH and CD. " Ultimately this seasons setbacks fall on us, the major shareholders, and we fully accept that responsibility". No where does he solely blame PH and freely admits he was as much to blame for the disastrous season. " Andrew Petit and I apologised to our fans and have since established a defined game model with an aligned management team".
On the face of it we now have a fully integrated approach with the owners and team management " singing from the same hymn sheet".
As you can see I have looked behind the screen and any questions I did have were covered by the article. It was always going to be difficult for any new owners to drag this club from the mid 20th century state of mind that had been a huge feature of the previous incumbent. JS and AP are still learning what it takes to run a modern thinking professional Football League club but they are learning and fully prepared to admit where they went wrong. I don't think I can recall Fenty ever admitting that he got anything wrong.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 94
forza ivano
April 28, 2024, 5:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from rancido

In the article JS mentions that with all the data and insights available , we still ended up in a relegation battle? He explains that he and AP were " on a steep learning curve". He also explains that they did not fully integrate the new data lead approach throughout the organisation. " Traditional methods relying on an ' eye for a player' had propelled us out of the National League, so there was a resistance to placing data and strategy at the forefront ". I assume this is the criticism towards Hurst to which you alluded. JS openly admits that this was a mistake. " We lacked a defined game model, leaving recruitment decisions to the management team without a clear, owner-set strategy". JS clearly states that although we had recruited technical superior players, their potential was undercut by a clarity on their role. This can be clearly demonstrated by Hurst's persistence in playing Mullarkey at RB when his previous role had been as a right centre-back, a position he was more suited to. In other words, although he is critical of the decision to sign certain players by the team management, he is also admitting that he and AP were at fault for allowing this to happen.
Throughout the article he is just as critical of himself and AP as he is of PH and CD. " Ultimately this seasons setbacks fall on us, the major shareholders, and we fully accept that responsibility". No where does he solely blame PH and freely admits he was as much to blame for the disastrous season. " Andrew Petit and I apologised to our fans and have since established a defined game model with an aligned management team".
On the face of it we now have a fully integrated approach with the owners and team management " singing from the same hymn sheet".
As you can see I have looked behind the screen and any questions I did have were covered by the article. It was always going to be difficult for any new owners to drag this club from the mid 20th century state of mind that had been a huge feature of the previous incumbent. JS and AP are still learning what it takes to run a modern thinking professional Football League club but they are learning and fully prepared to admit where they went wrong. I don't think I can recall Fenty ever admitting that he got anything wrong.

JSF getting something wrong? what a ridiculous notion........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason’s latest Guardian article

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.