Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 2023/24 RETAINED LIST
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

2023/24 RETAINED LIST

This thread currently has 35,512 views. Print
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
April 28, 2024, 1:23pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,066
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from Grantley
I want to like Mullarkey but get the feeling he doesn’t really give a excrement and is more interested in his social media and fitness career. Ok player but not the sort of mentality we want imo.

Sort of mentality?

He got released from Crewe and left the professional game at 21 and fought his way back into the EFL at 27 after 5 and a half years. That never give up attitude is fairly impressive IMHO,
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 203
mariner91
April 28, 2024, 2:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,771
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from neverapen
The jury is still out on Rodgers for me, he’s had brilliant matches but then a lot where he’s looked very shaky. I think Mullarkey has actually improved a lot this season and thought was one of the better players yesterday, would be interesting to see how a CB pairing of Mullarkey and Tharme would work in a back 4.

I think the new ‘model’ that has been talked about involves playing a back 4 and because of that I’m  not convinced we will see any CB signings in the summer, I think Maher will be released and then any defensive signings will be at full back, whether that’s Hume, Smith or others.

There’s absolutely no chance we start the season with just the three centre backs that are currently contracted for next season. We will sign at least one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 203
jamesgtfc
April 28, 2024, 2:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,043
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from neverapen
The jury is still out on Rodgers for me, he’s had brilliant matches but then a lot where he’s looked very shaky. I think Mullarkey has actually improved a lot this season and thought was one of the better players yesterday, would be interesting to see how a CB pairing of Mullarkey and Tharme would work in a back 4.

I think the new ‘model’ that has been talked about involves playing a back 4 and because of that I’m  not convinced we will see any CB signings in the summer, I think Maher will be released and then any defensive signings will be at full back, whether that’s Hume, Smith or others.

The new model isn't about dictating exactly how we play or what formation we must play, it's about playing on the front foot and not changing system to nullify the opposition.

Instead, we are looking to exploit the opposition, so the flexibility is there to change the system, except it's for a different reason to what we have been used to.

There is a time and a place for nullifying the opposition, but it shouldn't be what we do every week.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 203
louth_in_the_south
April 28, 2024, 2:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,714
Gold Stars: 96
Rodgers looks good with the ball on the deck , knocking it around well . Not so sure of him in the air . Misjudged Orsi goal badly . I’d be looking to have him as backup.
I was hoping we’d keep Hume when he first signed but not so sure with recent performances. Definitely worth looking for other options before offering him a contract. He has been out for a long time before he signed though so suppose he’s still on the road back to his peak .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 203
HertsGTFC
April 28, 2024, 2:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from neverapen

I agree about Rodgers but he seems to do better in a back 3 and since Tharme arrived.

Mullharkey definitely looks more comfortable in that set up, but I think we need at least 1 more CB next season, 2 if Maher doesn’t get a deal.

Full back is the big challenge, Hume looks like he can attack & get in behind but defensively he doesn’t look muck of an upgrade to Glenno. Smith is ok to be honest but as Cheltenham are coming down he may be back in their plans.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 203
Abdul19
April 28, 2024, 2:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,615
Gold Stars: 220
Need more proper lads like this in the team, not new age wokes like Mullarkey with his fruit and granola and that.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 203
Tommy
April 28, 2024, 2:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Hagrid
Id be telling Rodgers he’s free to go. He’s been absolutely pants. He proved yesterday and throughout the season he cant play in a 4, and he’s not exactly glowed in the 5

I'd agree about not being comfortable with Rodgers in a back 4.

I also think that despite the widely accepted view of Tharme being a good signing and a consistent performer, that he may struggle in a back 4 too. Time will tell with that one as I accept we haven't really seen much of him in a back 4.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 203
CSLM
April 28, 2024, 6:02pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Tommy

I'd agree about not being comfortable with Rodgers in a back 4.

I also think that despite the widely accepted view of Tharme being a good signing and a consistent performer, that he may struggle in a back 4 too. Time will tell with that one as I accept we haven't really seen much of him in a back 4.

I was thinking the same.

Sounds like we want to play with a 4 which is a bit worrying with the players that we have. Saying that though confidence is such a massive thing in football. Also vital that the midfielder is better and offers more cover.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 203
chaos33
April 28, 2024, 6:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
The only defenders we have who I think are good enough for a play off competitive team are Tharme and Hume, and maybe Smith. In my opinion. I’d try to move all the others on. I can’t see any of the young pros being good enough and I’d include Khouri.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 203
pontoonlew
April 28, 2024, 6:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Staggered how many of these release lists include Wilson, as if we’ve not learnt from the other 10 times we’ve released people with a half decent goal scoring records.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 203
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 2023/24 RETAINED LIST

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.