Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Message from John Fenty
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Message from John Fenty

This thread currently has 73,227 views. Print
35 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... Next All Recommend Thread
paddymariners
November 7, 2011, 10:56pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Quoted from GrimRob

It's a valid point hypothetically but there's no indication whatsoever that Fenty has any intention of selling the ground, and since he has said he does not expect to get his money back you would imagine in fact the opposite is the case.

If one of us wins the lottery then he might get his money back but it's hard to imagine any other situation where that might be the case.

If I won the lottery I'd buy Hull City and relocate it to the south bank and change it's name to Grimsby & Cleethorpes AFC.

No I don't do the lottery.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 230 - 348
dapperz fun pub
November 8, 2011, 8:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,067
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from mariner2000
The sad thing is I have always had one if not both (most of the time) feet in the camp that Fenty is the best person for the club, if only it is because he is clearly the only person who wants the role.

The one problem though if you ignore his apparent dire (excluding Slade) record of appointing managers and balancing books, is and always has been his PR.

Exactly what did the man think he was going to achieve from this request, yes some of the things said have been appalling on this site but generally they are no different to what is said rightly or wrongly about any other person on the web ( I wonder if he will write to the owners of facebook and demand the same!!).

Any man of standing should be big enough and strong enough to ignore these comments, yes there is always a line, usually regards ones family, but as far as I know that wasn't the case here was it?  I always say if they are talking about me at least they are not talking about anyone else.

Taking this one stage further I wonder if this suggests that there is no going back for Fenty as he clearly doesn't seem to care if he now offends those that he relies upon or will rely upon to keep the club afloat; agreed this won't happen without outside income at the moment - but again I wonder why this is!!

the facebook/twitter thing is spot on ive read much worse on both about fenty and the grim outlook for that matter,and i agree with the above in my opinion hes forgot who the club really belongs to
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 231 - 348
Stew0_0
November 8, 2011, 10:56am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,197
Gold Stars: 35
Not been on the site for a couple of weeks, so never saw the original posts regarding Fenty. But having read his reply I am extremely concerned about the future of the club and think a minority of the fans that seem intent of driving Fenty away from the club are gonna end up effectively killing this club once and for all.

Yes, our fortunes on the field have taken a dramatic turn from the worst during his time in charge. Relegation from Championship to outside the league is a devastating run of form that has seen gates drop in 10-12 years from 8,000 a week to just over 2,000. But I feel for Fenty. Although he has to shoulder the blame for the majority of the above and in the fact that he alone appoints the managers to run the team and that sign the players that have failed to bring a turn in fortunes, he had to show some trust that others will show the same passion for this club that he and the fans do. He/we have been let down badly - an understatement indeed.

The fact remains though that John Fenty is a fan, like me and you, he's not in this for any kind of financial reward, he is single-handedly bank-rolling the club. Even Mike Parker has walked away with a there's nothing in it for me attitude, and although Fenty felt there was no other alternative but to step down as chairman, he's still here paying the bills. There has been no interest at all from anyone else in the county and if he's driven out by the mindless idiots on this board we'd almost certainly go into administration and take a further downward spiral. Massive cuts would need to be taken to staff, players etc to re-coup the £1 million a year we are losing.

Some of the stick that Fenty has been taking is shocking and uncalled for and I wouldn't blame him for questioning what he's doing here. I understand fans' frustrations and many may well be at the end of the tether with the club at the moment. But the only way we are going to pull through this is by uniting as a club instead of driving away the people that matter and could ultimately turn this once great club around.

I will always be supporting the club through thick and thin.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 232 - 348
sonik
November 8, 2011, 11:12am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Stew0_0
Not been on the site for a couple of weeks, so never saw the original posts regarding Fenty. But having read his reply I am extremely concerned about the future of the club and think a minority of the fans that seem intent of driving Fenty away from the club are gonna end up effectively killing this club once and for all.

Yes, our fortunes on the field have taken a dramatic turn from the worst during his time in charge. Relegation from Championship to outside the league is a devastating run of form that has seen gates drop in 10-12 years from 8,000 a week to just over 2,000. But I feel for Fenty. Although he has to shoulder the blame for the majority of the above and in the fact that he alone appoints the managers to run the team and that sign the players that have failed to bring a turn in fortunes, he had to show some trust that others will show the same passion for this club that he and the fans do. He/we have been let down badly - an understatement indeed.

The fact remains though that John Fenty is a fan, like me and you, he's not in this for any kind of financial reward, he is single-handedly bank-rolling the club. Even Mike Parker has walked away with a there's nothing in it for me attitude, and although Fenty felt there was no other alternative but to step down as chairman, he's still here paying the bills. There has been no interest at all from anyone else in the county and if he's driven out by the mindless idiots on this board we'd almost certainly go into administration and take a further downward spiral. Massive cuts would need to be taken to staff, players etc to re-coup the £1 million a year we are losing.

Some of the stick that Fenty has been taking is shocking and uncalled for and I wouldn't blame him for questioning what he's doing here. I understand fans' frustrations and many may well be at the end of the tether with the club at the moment. But the only way we are going to pull through this is by uniting as a club instead of driving away the people that matter and could ultimately turn this once great club around.

UTM

Very well put Stew. Great post. IMHO!  UTM!

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 233 - 348
mick the mariner
November 8, 2011, 11:40am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Quoted from sonik

Oh this is getting tiresome you posting "well done" to any pro Fenty poster.

We are only in this mess cos your brother cant run the club properly.
Private Message
Reply: 234 - 348
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 8, 2011, 12:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Clubs have always gone up and down. Somebody has to.

Look at Swansea (twice), Barnsley, Hull, Brighton, Wolves, Oxford, Wednesday & United ....... we are no different in failing to get results on the field. If you look at other clubs doing well there is no simple standard way that they have gone down and no simple standard way to get back.

But there is no doubt in my mind that JF must shoulder most of the responsibility through some ridiculous decision making that proves the lad does not have a clue about running a football club. He is not the first football club chairman to be like that though and he won't be the last. JF does have the saving grace of admitting his mistakes but in our current situation the future matters a lot more than the past. The simple fact is that the club is falling apart and all we can talk about is libel from a letter that looks a long way from genuine to me. Even if it is real, it is meaningless and unhelpful.

The letter would be best ignored and we would do better to start thinking of some positive ways forward and some questions for the AGM and especially what part the Trust is going to play in all this. Otherwise I can see us just having the usual rants for days afterwards and being no further forward.

Lastly, I also have a lot of time for Rob & Biccys but they can't run with the hare and hunt with the hounds, if you are a mod then you are a mod - full stop. This schizophrenia of trying to be mod and a normal poster doesn't work for me, sorry.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 235 - 348
pier39
November 8, 2011, 12:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +0 / -3
Approval: +1
Quoted from sonik

personally i hope fenty moves to australia and farms sheep.while hes involved in our club the only way is down imo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 236 - 348
cardiffmariner
November 8, 2011, 5:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,321
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from Stew0_0

UTM

Brilliant - it's the fans killing off the club!

No wonder Sonik thought it was a great post.

This club will not die because of 'a minority' of its fans.  

Of the 3-4 thousand fans who have attended BP over the last few years, how many have actually posted aggressive and obscene messages about JF on this board?  

I think some perspective is needed.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 237 - 348
rancido
November 8, 2011, 5:22pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,668
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from cardiffmariner

Brilliant - it's the fans killing off the club!
No wonder Sonik thought it was a great post.

This club will not die because of 'a minority' of its fans.  

Of the 3-4 thousand fans who have attended BP over the last few years, how many have actually posted aggressive and obscene messages about JF on this board?  

I think some perspective is needed.  

I think you need to read the statement correctly . No mention was made of a " minority " of fans killing the club. What was said was that if some of the drivel posted on this site drove JF away then there is a good chance that the club could fold , which is not quite the same thing. It is a fact that at the moment their is nobody willing to take up the challenge of running/bank rolling GTFC if JF was to chuck his hand in.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 238 - 348
ska face
November 8, 2011, 5:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,884
Gold Stars: 854
Quoted from rancido

I think you need to read the statement correctly . No mention was made of a " minority " of fans killing the club. What was said was that if some of the drivel posted on this site drove JF away then there is a good chance that the club could fold , which is not quite the same thing. It is a fact that at the moment their is nobody willing to take up the challenge of running/bank rolling GTFC if JF was to chuck his hand in.

Not that I'd expect him to, but if Fenty walked away and left the club to die as a result of being called a few names (the majority well justified) on a message board, then I know who I'd be pointing the finger at, and it certainly wouldn't be anyone on here. In fact, maybe if he could've taken a bit more stick, shown a bit of spine and stuck to his guns in the past then perhaps we wouldn't have gone through managers like a baby goes through nappies and perhaps we wouldn't be in this awful mess at all.
Private Message
Reply: 239 - 348
35 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Message from John Fenty

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.