This thread currently has 6,117 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
April 17, 2014, 5:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
To be fair, the thread creator did ask for something different. To call contributions to such a thread ridiculous is a little unfair and unwarranted.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 67
April 17, 2014, 6:29pm
Guest User
Quoted from petethemariner
Any out of the box theory on a weekly basis? Are you real? I have posted about
3 at the back for months if you care to check, as a matter of fact i have coached
teams and played in something in excess of 1500 games at a good level in a
35 year career- including 3 at the back, so reckon i have just about earned the
right to an opinion about the game..
For your information i have not been the most vociferous in crticism of PH by
a long way, indeed i posted on here a while back that he had suprised me how
well he had done - (until recently) and IMO he has now lost the plot - i am far from
being alone in that opinion, although your clearly  superior football knowledge
means you know better doesn't it?.
By the way, look at my reputation score of +31 and -1 against your plus 5 minus 2
before you start slagging off posters.
Thanks Chaos for pointing out to him about tone - i try not to offend anyone with
my posts and have a right to an opinion, i d'ont need to wear the rosiest of rose
tinted glasses that Salford Mariner seems to wear to know something is currently
missing  or wrong with the team and Salford if you cannot debate in a reasonable
manner, d'ont bother.

There are plenty of comments i would love to make to SM, but manners, clearly
something he doesn't possess, prevents me.

Touched a nerve there fella!?!

I was trying to have a reasonable debate. I have asked a few footballing based questions in counter argument to your attack on our manager. Can you have a reasonable debate and try and back up your attack on him?

How did you get on with introducing 3 at the back btw? How many training sessions did you think it took, and how many have town had between games?

I was referring to how you were critical of pre dartford about squad changes- I am surprised that you wouldn't sympathise with having played all those games.

It's not a personal thing- and it's not just you I just find it frustrating when people can be so critical of a manager for things that can be very easily counter argued.

Squad acquisition, personel in key areas, lack of pace, breaking up the best defence, lack of creativity in the middle of the park I understand and sign up to but I feel he gets a lot of undeserved stick which does not help at all at this stage of the season.

Reply: 31 - 67
petethemariner
April 17, 2014, 7:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Listen 'Fella'  as  Robocod correctly says, this is a thread about something different,
playing 3 at the back is something different and something that has worked with
countless teams, just how difficult is it for 3 professional  defenders to take care
of what is usually a maximum of 2 attackers? Not difficult at all i would say and yes
i have played in successful sides playing that formation - it isn't difficult so long
as your wing backs do their jobs with discipline.
I am quite happy to discuss your 'footballing points' in a reasonable way - calling
a reasonable suggestion 'ridiculous', 'even more ridiculous' and then claiming i make
weekly attacks on the manager  for some sort of vendetta's sake is unreasonable
i would say, I  agree  i have i made some critical points of Hurst in recent  weeks
because i feel  he warrants them, bizarre team selections on a weekly basis
instead of a settled side as much is reasonably possible,  persistance with  'hoofball',
and strange treatment of certain players give me that right on a football forum,
i have also made positive points about Hurst  in the past and i  would say i am not
even in the top 10 of Hurst  critics on this forum, yet you  choose to make a
personal attack on me.
Regarding Dartford, i admitted that players needed to be rested, but not 10 and
why was there not one players on the bench capable of getting us a goal when we
needed one? - i think those are fair observations - even prem sides with quality
squads do not make 10 changes.
I hope Hurst succeeds but feel he has lost his way and plenty on here agree with
that assessment.
You can have your opinion - i am entitled to mine.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 67
petethemariner
April 17, 2014, 7:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Oh and i just want to add Salford that the extra negative reputation score  you
appear to have  recently received is nothing to do with me, so please do
not claim otherwise.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 67
grimsby pete
April 17, 2014, 7:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
I am a bit confused why proven goalscorers can not find the net for us this season,

The only thing I can think of is we are not creating the chances for them to put it away,

Changes need to be made in midfield imo,

Disley should play and Kerr should play,

But

Not together.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 67
petethemariner
April 17, 2014, 8:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
I can see where you are coming from on that Pete and think in a strict
4-4-2 you are completely right - part of my thinking with the 3 at the
back was that it would free a player such as Scott Neilson to play in
a more forward role between what is a deep lying midfield and our forwards,
i think you would soon see our forwards starting to score again given the
better service they would undoubtedly get AND it would encourage the
team to play a bit more football.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 67
April 17, 2014, 9:27pm
Guest User
Listen 'Fella'  as  Robocod correctly says, this is a thread about something different,
playing 3 at the back is something different and something that has worked with
countless teams, just how difficult is it for 3 professional  defenders to take care
of what is usually a maximum of 2 attackers? Not difficult at all i would say and yes
i have played in successful sides playing that formation - it isn't difficult so long
as your wing backs do their jobs with discipline.
I am quite happy to discuss your 'footballing points' in a reasonable way - calling
a reasonable suggestion 'ridiculous', 'even more ridiculous' and then claiming i make
weekly attacks on the manager  for some sort of vendetta's sake is unreasonable
i would say, I  agree  i have i made some critical points of Hurst in recent  weeks
because i feel  he warrants them, bizarre team selections on a weekly basis
instead of a settled side as much is reasonably possible,  persistance with  'hoofball',
and strange treatment of certain players give me that right on a football forum,
i have also made positive points about Hurst  in the past and i  would say i am not
even in the top 10 of Hurst  critics on this forum, yet you  choose to make a
personal attack on me.
Regarding Dartford, i admitted that players needed to be rested, but not 10 and
why was there not one players on the bench capable of getting us a goal when we
needed one? - i think those are fair observations - even prem sides with quality
squads do not make 10 changes.
I hope Hurst succeeds but feel he has lost his way and plenty on here agree with
that assessment.
You can have your opinion - i am entitled to mine.

The thread was what to differently for next season. Not what hurst should have done differently against Halifax and why that makes him useless/clueless or a clown which other posters constantly put.

I thought The suggestion was ridiculous not because of the formation per se.... But the fact that you call hurst too negative and then yourself suggest a negative tactic (which if hurst had done people would have slammed), and the fact yourself and others criticise hurst for chopping and changing too much- but yet changing the entire defensive system when our defence isn't the biggest problem was what he should of done last game. Inconsistencies.

As for the negative reputation score- our friend mr acko- I guess it's more popular to be against our team, manager and players when we are on the verge of playoffs rather than question the people who criticise them.

And btw it Wasn't a personal attack on you. I probably should of picked another post/person to reply to.
Reply: 36 - 67
April 17, 2014, 9:34pm
Guest User
So to talk about formations for NEXT SEASON in a sensible way. I will start.

3 at the back 2 wing backs etc...

Thomas is perfect. Would need someone like pipe from Newport. Otherwise we would be forced to deep and loose numerical advantage in key areas.

Centre backs- Big Mac and one other good on the ball, to bring out of defence. Would worry teams would target Pearson when on the ball forcing long ball, but his other qualities are worth it. I know you disagree but I feel they would need time to get used to playing 3 at the back over pre season. They struggled enough switching to 433.

Box to box midfielders and a lot more mobility and energy in there (prob needed whatever formation to be fair)

Pace seriously needed up front.

Your Thoughts?

Reply: 37 - 67
petethemariner
April 17, 2014, 9:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
But playing with wing backs ISN'T negative at all Salford, just the opposite
so long as your wing backs are prepared to put in the hard work neccessary,
as i said earlier it allows a more positive role for someone in the 'hole' which
is an area of the pitch that  opposing defenders hate because they d'ont
know whether to 'stick or twist' ie; go out to meet them or allow them too
much space 20-30 yards from goal - i accept that if the wing backs aren't
prepared to put in what amounts to 60 yard 'doggies'between supporting
attack and getting  back to defend it could come unstuck, but IMO we
HAVE to start playing more football, i just do not think we will get through
the play offs playing the 'hoof' game and that extra man in an advanced
position would encourage the ball to be used more creatively than at present.
Even you with your support for PH must surely admit we do not score
nearly enough goals and that cannot be  solely down to players who have
proved in ther past that they CAN score, but c'ant now - there HAS to be
a reason for this and IMO is summed up in two words - No creativity.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 67
April 17, 2014, 10:41pm
Guest User
But playing with wing backs ISN'T negative at all Salford, just the opposite
so long as your wing backs are prepared to put in the hard work neccessary,
as i said earlier it allows a more positive role for someone in the 'hole' which
is an area of the pitch that  opposing defenders hate because they d'ont
know whether to 'stick or twist' ie; go out to meet them or allow them too
much space 20-30 yards from goal - i accept that if the wing backs aren't
prepared to put in what amounts to 60 yard 'doggies'between supporting
attack and getting  back to defend it could come unstuck, but IMO we
HAVE to start playing more football, i just do not think we will get through
the play offs playing the 'hoof' game and that extra man in an advanced
position would encourage the ball to be used more creatively than at present.
Even you with your support for PH must surely admit we do not score
nearly enough goals and that cannot be  solely down to players who have
proved in ther past that they CAN score, but c'ant now - there HAS to be
a reason for this and IMO is summed up in two words - No creativity.

I completely agree that it isn't negative. However,  Changing your tactics too nullify the opposition like you said is though. To change the tactics to meet your squad strengths and start playing football like you just suggested isn't- if that makes sense. I only said it was negative because of your reasoning at the time.

Anyway, I said I really like the formation. It creates triangles and outnumbers the opposition in all the key areas. Not sure if our players have the right attributes though. I actually only think they have the right ones for 442- and if they did change the formation it would take a learning curve and a bit of gamble for the final 3-4 games of the season.

Strangely, I am not a massive fan of hurst like you may think - about ten weeks ago I was saying if we had a chance of getting mills, Mellon or burr we should do it then as I see their style as the way forward. However, now is a time to get behind the team cos we actually do have a chance of promotion And I believe this chance would be enhanced if all supporters were unit in the support of the club, minimising negativity and criticism which would no doubt filter through to the players.

At the end of the season, if we do not go up- then I will be stating my concerns about the squad and hurst himself.
Reply: 39 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › And now for something different

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.