Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › You, the fans.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 96 Guests

You, the fans.

This thread currently has 7,000 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
marinette
April 25, 2014, 10:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from cod_head_doug
The Pontoon stand was bought by the Town fans. It has nearly always been the stand of choice for the younger enthusiastic fan.
I used to go in there when I was a teenager, and thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere.
I now sit in the Lower Findus.
The only season that the Town fans were not allowed in the Pontoon was when the board of directors decided in there infinite wisdom to put the away fans in the Pontoon and moved the home fans out. The home attendance dropped by a couple of thousand, as a lot of loyal fans refused to ever attend a game again. The vast majority of them never came back.
I would be in favour of having home fans behind both goals, but do not forcibly remove Town fans from their Pontoon stand

That's a very powerful argument.  If Town fans paid for the Pontoon, then the thought of handing it over to away fans is quite shocking.  I do agree that the 'acoustics' in there could / should be improved if at all possible, although someone gave me a DVD of the Town v Spurs game (Slade era), where the commentator says something about the capacity of Blundell Park only being about 9,000 (?) but it sounded more like 30,000 (?).  We do still have our moments.  Let's hope the play-offs can bring some of that back.

Private Message
Reply: 50 - 60
Badger57
April 25, 2014, 10:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,914
Gold Stars: 30
I remember the days when you could watch one half from the Osmond and the second half from the Pontoon or vice versa depending on which way we kicked first half! Was quite funny seeing half the Pontoon charging down the other end after the coin toss if we were kicking towards the Osmond first!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 60
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 26, 2014, 9:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,898
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Badger57
I remember the days when you could watch one half from the Osmond and the second half from the Pontoon or vice versa depending on which way we kicked first half! Was quite funny seeing half the Pontoon charging down the other end after the coin toss if we were kicking towards the Osmond first!  

Is that when the away fans were put in the Harrington st corner (next to the ponny) ???
Seem to remember this in buckleys first promotion season.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 60
rancido
April 26, 2014, 11:47am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,613
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from GyMariner
I know the chances of this are slim but as we are giving ideas. I like the idea of putting away fans on the second tier of stands (upper findus) where they can have no or little influence on the game. I do believe having town fans behind both goals would have an impact on the teams performance.

This really wouldn't work for many reasons. The corporate boxes,directors area,McMenemy's and the Mariners Bar are all supported by the Upper Findus. This part of the Findus stand offers the best view ( football wise ) of any of the stands, especially the area towards the centre-line of the pitch.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 60
Mariners_15
April 26, 2014, 12:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Agreed that it wouldn't be right to swap ends and move away fans into the Pontoon but been saying for years that 100 fans on the away end can sound a lot noisier and roudier than 4-500 on the Pontoon because of the acoustics of the stands. The roof in the Pontoon is the main reason for the poor acoustics and although I'm not 100% sure, I would hazard a guess and say it would cost far too much for the club to address this and sort a new roof out?

The idea of putting panels at the side of the stand is an interesting one as I'm not sure if it would help improve the acoustics as much as fixing the roof situation would but could possible improve it a fair bit and would be a cheaper option. Is this something the trust could put to the club maybe? Just ask some questions about it so to speak...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 60
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 26, 2014, 1:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,898
Gold Stars: 178
Out of interest, when the club just wondered about these things:

When built, was the findus stand intended to be behind one of the goals and the pitch turn round?

And

When making the pontoon all seated, is it right the council refused to allow it to be made into a 2 seated stand due to it not allowing the right amount of sunlight into people's gardens??

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 60
Badger57
April 28, 2014, 7:21am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,914
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Is that when the away fans were put in the Harrington st corner (next to the ponny) ???
Seem to remember this in buckleys first promotion season.

No, it was when I was a young kid, I'm thinking it was probably the 69/70 or 70/71 season. Probably before segregation? I don't remember many scraps but then again there were not many there in those days!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 60
BIGChris
April 28, 2014, 7:30am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Badger57

No, it was when I was a young kid, I'm thinking it was probably the 69/70 or 70/71 season. Probably before segregation? I don't remember many scraps but then again there were not many there in those days!

I agree badger. We used to wait for the coin toss before walking round to be behind the goal Town were attacking and then switch at half time. This was common certainly from about 68 through to even 73 ish. Not many travelled in those days and very little segregation most of the time
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 60
barralad
April 28, 2014, 7:46am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,296
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from BIGChris

I agree badger. We used to wait for the coin toss before walking round to be behind the goal Town were attacking and then switch at half time. This was common certainly from about 68 through to even 73 ish. Not many travelled in those days and very little segregation most of the time

Night matches were great in those days...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 60
Garth
April 28, 2014, 8:16am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 26
All this palarva. two goals off the shops rear end and two from Hannah and good night boys especially with our skinny away goals against record
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › You, the fans.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.