Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › You, the fans.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 336 Guests

You, the fans.

This thread currently has 6,988 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
immariner
April 21, 2014, 4:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
There's been a lot said this week about the fans remaining patient, trying to create a positive atmosphere and letting the team play.

Despite what was clearly a nervy performance lacking in quality, it sounds like you stuck with the team throughout!

A real credit. As long as we are still in this, we can do it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
MeanwoodMariner
April 21, 2014, 5:19pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from immariner
There's been a lot said this week about the fans remaining patient, trying to create a positive atmosphere and letting the team play.

Despite what was clearly a nervy performance lacking in quality, it sounds like you stuck with the team throughout!

Completely agree. The crowd there seemed very aware of what was needed. Whatever the reservations about our style of play generally, today was about staying patient despite the nerves and getting the points. Job done. Now come on Barnet!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 60
HackneyHaddock
April 21, 2014, 5:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Hopefully just four games left now that could change the course of history for the club. Let's give the team nothing but positive vibes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 60
oldun
April 21, 2014, 5:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Agree, the fans were very patient today, even tried to make some noise when things were not going well. Never got on the players backs. It was frustrating and nervy but we stuck together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 60
cmackenzie4
April 21, 2014, 5:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
There was a few idiots shouting abuse in the lower findus were my lad and me was sat, Aswad gave them a dirty look whilst taking a throw-in but on a whole the crowd was excellent today!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 60
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 21, 2014, 6:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
I'd agree and would hope that paul hurst would acknowledge it, there was a bit of booing and shouting at half time (I shouted be more aggressive town) but I think that was deserved they just were very frustrating and slow in the first half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 60
ginnywings
April 21, 2014, 6:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
Apart from a few ill judged cheers when LJL went off, the crowd were mostly well behaved. I think most were just waiting for something to happen and nervous that it may not. My group were.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 60
cmackenzie4
April 21, 2014, 6:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I also noticed that Paul hurst responded to the "give us a wave" chant which was good to see!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 60
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 21, 2014, 6:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
IMHO the club need to do whatever they can to make the atmosphere (if we do indeed make it) the most unbelievable for the home leg of the playoffs. I remember that amazing night in 1998 at home to fulham. Us.....the fans.....we're fantastic, electric, encouraging. Come on mr fenty, let's get that partisan atmosphere that has been at blundell park before.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 60
cmackenzie4
April 21, 2014, 6:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
IMHO the club need to do whatever they can to make the atmosphere (if we do indeed make it) the most unbelievable for the home leg of the playoffs. I remember that amazing night in 1998 at home to fulham. Us.....the fans.....we're fantastic, electric, encouraging. Come on mr fenty, let's get that partisan atmosphere that has been at blundell park before.

One of my favourite memories that Fulham game Woz, brilliant night!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 60
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 21, 2014, 6:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

If we stay 3rd it'll be a 4:30pm kick off on a sunday before a bank holiday monday, so I imagine alot would go to that, probably alot of people will turn up drunk too lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 60
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 21, 2014, 6:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
But, we still need to get the ground full. Obviously depending on who we play would depend on the amount of space available too. Halifax would bring more than Gateshead (unless a few extra from the north east fancy a weekend away) so give the town fans the chance to pack the osmand and the ponny and get that blundell park roar going. Why not make it £10 a ticket? Obviously season ticket holders would have to pay as well so it's extra money in the coffers and presuming it would be on bt sport

Agree chris it was a great night. Most electric I've know at bp.

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 60
psgmariner
April 22, 2014, 7:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
That Fulham game was fantastic. I had a restricted view seat in the Upper Findus. I'm usually made up when I get one of those beauties but was rather miffed for that particular game.

Private Message
Reply: 12 - 60
GyMariner
April 22, 2014, 9:39am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 7
Having town fans both end would make the world of difference, just shows how much more we go for it with the crowd behind us shooting towards the pontoon end

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 60
Fcukthescunts
April 22, 2014, 11:25am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
I have long thought the Osmond part behind goal should be unreserved seating for home fans then if a well followed team came along give it to them. When town are away from home the atmosphere is a lot better as the singers gather together with the occasional singers a bit further away and non vocal support further away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 60
Abdul19
April 22, 2014, 12:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Yep, stick the away fans in the corner of the Osmond and sell out the home stands (a la Morecambe, 2008 )

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 60
April 22, 2014, 12:07pm
Guest User
Quoted from Fcukthescunts
I have long thought the Osmond part behind goal should be unreserved seating for home fans then if a well followed team came along give it to them. When town are away from home the atmosphere is a lot better as the singers gather together with the occasional singers a bit further away and non vocal support further away.

I have long thought this too.

Remember about 20 years ago helping to do a survey of Town fans at BP asking if they'd like to swap the home end from
the Pontoon to the Osmond.
Not surprisingly the majority said 'No', but I wonder how many have been singing in the Osmond - the acoustics
are awesome.
Reply: 16 - 60
Rick12
April 22, 2014, 12:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from immariner

Fans make the club.Personally and Iam not being biased here most fans are a credit to this club.Many of us appreciate hard work and a grafter and Iam sure if players deliver on this front then most fans will be off their back.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 60
chaos33
April 23, 2014, 7:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Big Chris - would the trust be interested in floating the idea of Town fans using the Osmond if possible for the play off games in discussions with the board? Surely it would give us a potential edge and would be great for our players.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 60
BIGChris
April 23, 2014, 8:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from chaos33
Big Chris - would the trust be interested in floating the idea of Town fans using the Osmond if possible for the play off games in discussions with the board? Surely it would give us a potential edge and would be great for our players.

Have no problem whatsoever in raising the matter. I suspect that it will be a no if we draw Cambridge or Halifax but more chance if it is Heed or Braintree.

I will ask the question
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 60
chaos33
April 23, 2014, 8:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks Chris.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 60
zorro_is_a_Mariner
April 23, 2014, 9:09pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Utm really looking forward to the games next week in the playoffs lets be loud and proud and show the conference how good our fans really are  

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 60
HackneyHaddock
April 24, 2014, 12:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
I think if at all possible, the club should try to get our fans behind both goals.  In these tight games, small margins make the difference- a marginal penalty call, a lift to the players attacking two home ends, extra hostility for the visitors.  The ONLY consideration that could override this could be whether we would be reciprocally restricted for tickets at the other club, thus preventing us from taking a shed load to Halifax or Cambridge.

As Chris says, if it's Gateshead or Braintree, we can probably give them one or two hundred each and still be able to take 2-3000 to their places, whereas Halifax or Cambridge will want a lot of tickets in return for us getting the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 60
chaos33
April 24, 2014, 6:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Indeed. I don't know how many the Osmond/main stand corner holds. Maybe 1000? Perhaps someone who knows will comment....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 60
GrimDan
April 24, 2014, 7:30am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +13
Quoted from chaos33
Indeed. I don't know how many the Osmond/main stand corner holds. Maybe 1000? Perhaps someone who knows will comment....
According to footballgroundguide the corner of the osmand holds just under 600

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 60
Badger57
April 24, 2014, 8:10am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
The pontoon lost most of it's atmosphere when seating was installed. The acoustics were never great but when standing singers could get close and join in at the back behind the goal it could and often was great!
I'm sure we tried one season at the Osmond end but it wasn't a success. There wasn't a great deal of singing as I recall as it was the season we were relegated losing the last game of the season at home to Hull of all teams.   I think a lot of people resented handing over the pontoon to rivals as well so it was changed back the following season. Can't recall if it was seating then or not though?
I don't think there would be such resentment of a change now? The pontoon is dead these days apart from a very few enthusiastic young uns in the top right corner as you look from the pitch. Was it ever explained why they congregate there? The couldn't really pick a worse place acoustically!
Oh, just back to that Hull game for a second. Me and my mate were so miserable after the game we walked all the way back home to Willows/Wybers Wood! LOL!   UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 60
Marinerz93
April 24, 2014, 5:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from Badger57
The pontoon lost most of it's atmosphere when seating was installed. The acoustics were never great but when standing singers could get close and join in at the back behind the goal it could and often was great!
I'm sure we tried one season at the Osmond end but it wasn't a success. There wasn't a great deal of singing as I recall as it was the season we were relegated losing the last game of the season at home to Hull of all teams.   I think a lot of people resented handing over the pontoon to rivals as well so it was changed back the following season. Can't recall if it was seating then or not though?
I don't think there would be such resentment of a change now? The pontoon is dead these days apart from a very few enthusiastic young uns in the top right corner as you look from the pitch. Was it ever explained why they congregate there? The couldn't really pick a worse place acoustically!
Oh, just back to that Hull game for a second. Me and my mate were so miserable after the game we walked all the way back home to Willows/Wybers Wood! LOL!   UTM!

It started off as more of the rowdy element of our fans used to stand next to the away fans who were in the Harrington Street corner.  When the away fans were moved they stayed in the corner and didn't move.

They would be better off going to the Osmond end of the main stand or Omond end of the lower/upper Findus.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 60
Badger57
April 25, 2014, 7:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

It started off as more of the rowdy element of our fans used to stand next to the away fans who were in the Harrington Street corner.  When the away fans were moved they stayed in the corner and didn't move.

They would be better off going to the Osmond end of the main stand or Omond end of the lower/upper Findus.

Ah, thanks. Think I vaguely remember that, oh my memory!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 60
GiveUsAG
April 25, 2014, 1:32pm

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
I think the majority of fans would be behind the idea of switching the pontoon to the away end and making the Osmond stand the home end. That corner would in no doubt be filled with noisy fans. Maybe the trust could get a poll going on the Mariners wall to see if the fans would be behind the idea (say for next season?)?  

I've seen many fans talk about the idea and moan about the acoustics in the pontoon, so don't see why we don't push for the change. It doesn't look like we're going to get a new stadium any time soon, so may as well try and improve the one we have.  

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/mvnser.png[/IMG]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 60
FishOutOfWater
April 25, 2014, 2:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from GiveUsAG
I think the majority of fans would be behind the idea of switching the pontoon to the away end and making the Osmond stand the home end. That corner would in no doubt be filled with noisy fans. Maybe the trust could get a poll going on the Mariners wall to see if the fans would be behind the idea (say for next season?)?  

I've seen many fans talk about the idea and moan about the acoustics in the pontoon, so don't see why we don't push for the change. It doesn't look like we're going to get a new stadium any time soon, so may as well try and improve the one we have.  

Sorry but imho it would be a travesty if the Pontoon (which if I'm right was a stand brought about by Town fans) were to be more or less empty with a handful of away supporters rattling about in there?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 60
GiveUsAG
April 25, 2014, 2:39pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Sorry but imho it would be a travesty if the Pontoon (which if I'm right was a stand brought about by Town fans) were to be more or less empty with a handful of away supporters rattling about in there?

I believe that's true.

To be honest I agree a little, but feel a change is needed. I'm also looking at the future, of which I hope we won't be in this league and will have more away fans attending at BP.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 60
GiveUsAG
April 25, 2014, 2:44pm

Table Wine Drinker
The idea of having fans behind both goals sounds good too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 60
FishOutOfWater
April 25, 2014, 4:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GiveUsAG
The idea of having fans behind both goals sounds good too.

Now that I do agree with  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 32 - 60
GyMariner
April 25, 2014, 4:25pm

Cocktail Drinker

Surely it wouldn't make a great difference because the osmond would be full instead?

We would just see lots of empty black and white seats instead of red ones!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 60
FishOutOfWater
April 25, 2014, 4:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GyMariner

Surely it wouldn't make a great difference because the osmond would be full instead?

We would just see lots of empty black and white seats instead of red ones!

Maybe me just being sentimental about the Ponny but ever since I started going to see Town as a kid many years ago it's always been the home end (apart from that mid 80s failed experiment)

The Osmond end has always been mainly for away fans so to change things around for the sake of it just somehow doesn't sit right with me

I might be in the minority with this of course but for 50+ years (1961 wasn't it?) the Pontoon has been the place for me and many others to congregate...if they were to swap home ends to the Osmond I doubt it would improve the atmosphere but until it ever happened I couldn't prove that of course
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 60
barralad
April 25, 2014, 4:33pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126

Maybe me just being sentimental about the Ponny but ever since I started going to see Town as a kid many years ago it's always been the home end (apart from that mid 80s failed experiment)

The Osmond end has always been mainly for away fans so to change things around for the sake of it just somehow doesn't sit right with me

I might be in the minority with this of course but for 50+ years (1961 wasn't it?) the Pontoon has been the place for me and many others to congregate...if they were to swap home ends to the Osmond I doubt it would improve the atmosphere but until it ever happened I couldn't prove that of course

Sums up my feelings exactly...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 60
mariner tommy
April 25, 2014, 4:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12

I remember when I first started watching Town in the 60's, and was not long after the Pontoon was built, it used to say across the top of the stand where the adverts are now-

"Erected by the Grimsby Town supporters club and Mariners Pool- join now"

Isn't it odd how you remember daft things like that.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 60
GiveUsAG
April 25, 2014, 5:01pm

Table Wine Drinker
That's the thing though, the pontoon has so much history. It belongs to the fans of GTFC because it was brought about because of GTFC fans. S0 we have to ask ourselves, do we really want to see away fans in there? Have to say now thinking about it and reading others' comments, I don't think I would want to see away fans in there (despite me bringing it up). But at the same time, a change is needed, but what do we change to improve things? Fans behind both goals? I like the idea but, I feel that would only work if there was an increase in attendances, but if there was an increase in attendances the atmosphere would be better as it is anyway (E.G. Huddersfield, Scunthorpe, Lincoln and couple of other games).

Hypocrite? No, I'm just in 2 minds about it. Kinda wish I never said anything, haha.    

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 60
FishOutOfWater
April 25, 2014, 5:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner tommy

I remember when I first started watching Town in the 60's, and was not long after the Pontoon was built, it used to say across the top of the stand where the adverts are now-

"Erected by the Grimsby Town supporters club and Mariners Pool- join now"

Isn't it odd how you remember daft things like that.

UTM

That's what I was thinking of....the Pontoon stand is synonymous with the fans who got it built in the first place and have ever since have taken pride of place there
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 60
Abdul19
April 25, 2014, 5:18pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
I've never even been in The Pontoon, but it'd be odd without GTFC fans in.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 60
FishOutOfWater
April 25, 2014, 5:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GiveUsAG
That's the thing though, the pontoon has so much history. It belongs to the fans of GTFC because it was brought about because of GTFC fans. S0 we have to ask ourselves, do we really want to see away fans in there? Have to say now thinking about it and reading others' comments, I don't think I would want to see away fans in there (despite me bringing it up). But at the same time, a change is needed, but what do we change to improve things? Fans behind both goals? I like the idea but, I feel that would only work if there was an increase in attendances, but if there was an increase in attendances the atmosphere would be better as it is anyway (E.G. Huddersfield, Scunthorpe, Lincoln and couple of other games).

Hypocrite? No, I'm just in 2 minds about it. Kinda wish I never said anything, haha.    

It's good to have an open discussion about it though....sometimes we just need to express what our thoughts are on different things so while I for one wouldn't want to see the Pontoon being anything other than our home end, I'd welcome opening up the Osmond to give four sides of the ground to our fans

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 40 - 60
lobsterpot
April 25, 2014, 5:32pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
I know this might sound daft as i have not thought it through in too much detail, but to give the ponny better acoustics, why not just panel both the open sides up? Surely it would not take much? Or am i missing something?
Oh, and never, ever give up the ponny! It has been mine and my kids ' homes ' for the past 25 years and hopefully for another 25 years and the rest! I defo don't want some smelly, buck toothed, neanderthal yorkie sitting in my seat

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 60
GiveUsAG
April 25, 2014, 5:50pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from lobsterpot
I know this might sound daft as i have not thought it through in too much detail, but to give the ponny better acoustics, why not just panel both the open sides up? Surely it would not take much? Or am i missing something?
Oh, and never, ever give up the ponny! It has been mine and my kids ' homes ' for the past 25 years and hopefully for another 25 years and the rest! I defo don't want some smelly, buck toothed, neanderthal yorkie sitting in my seat

Good question. I'd like to know the answer if there is one.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 60
biggles9999
April 25, 2014, 5:52pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from lobsterpot

I have seen suggestions a lot of times about panels being added to the side of the Pontoon, but am not 100% sure that I have seen a response. Vaguely remember something about the cost of doing this not making it worth while, but that is probably balderdash.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 60
GyMariner
April 25, 2014, 7:15pm

Cocktail Drinker
I know the chances of this are slim but as we are giving ideas. I like the idea of putting away fans on the second tier of stands (upper findus) where they can have no or little influence on the game. I do believe having town fans behind both goals would have an impact on the teams performance.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 60
cod_head_doug
April 25, 2014, 7:55pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +422
Gold Stars: 3
The Pontoon stand was bought by the Town fans. It has nearly always been the stand of choice for the younger enthusiastic fan.
I used to go in there when I was a teenager, and thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere.
I now sit in the Lower Findus.
The only season that the Town fans were not allowed in the Pontoon was when the board of directors decided in there infinite wisdom to put the away fans in the Pontoon and moved the home fans out. The home attendance dropped by a couple of thousand, as a lot of loyal fans refused to ever attend a game again. The vast majority of them never came back.
I would be in favour of having home fans behind both goals, but do not forcibly remove Town fans from their Pontoon stand

Bobby Cummings is my hero ! The main reason I am a Cod Head.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 60
FishOutOfWater
April 25, 2014, 8:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from cod_head_doug
The Pontoon stand was bought by the Town fans. It has nearly always been the stand of choice for the younger enthusiastic fan.
I used to go in there when I was a teenager, and thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere.
The only season that the Town fans were not allowed in the Pontoon was when the board of directors decided in there infinite wisdom to put the away fans in the Pontoon and moved the home fans out. The home attendance dropped by a couple of thousand, as a lot of loyal fans refused to ever attend a game again. The vast majority of them never came back.
I would be in favour of having home fans behind both goals, but do not forcibly remove Town fans from their Pontoon stand

I seem to remember being the home end being the Osmond for two seasons Doug

85-86 - games that stick out for me being in there; Arsenal 3-4 in the cup and Norwich 1-0 (Champs being beaten by a Gordon Hobson goal )

The season after that less memorable but I definitely remember the Leeds and Birmingham games and being in the "wrong end"

You and me are singing off the same sheet though...In the Pontoon Stand, the finest in the land
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 46 - 60
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 25, 2014, 8:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Agree with a couple of the viewers points prior :

1: put up side panels in the ponny. Surely these coils have sponsors on too? And as many have said before, get the noisier lot that want to get down and boogie with their drum, more central.

2: putting away supporters in the upper findus. The away team then have no fans to play towards (unless serge makofu is playing!)

3: put away fans in a section of the osmond but give town supporters the other part.

Sorry, just my opinion

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 60
Tom13
April 25, 2014, 8:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Why don't we just take the panels off the side of the Osmond and stick them on the side of the Pontoon? That way the acoustics will be better in the Town end and worse in the away end?

Equally we could just have a collection and get a few sheets of plastic from B&Q and stick them on the side!  

Surely we could have sponsors on the side of them as well, a bit of extra revenue for the club?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 60
GyMariner
April 25, 2014, 8:50pm

Cocktail Drinker
Segregation may be an issue with fans being in the upper findus, I'd assume they'd have to use the side stairs, would like to see this though, get town fans in the osmond and ponny! Or even put them in the 'family' end of the main stand??

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 60
marinette
April 25, 2014, 10:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from cod_head_doug

That's a very powerful argument.  If Town fans paid for the Pontoon, then the thought of handing it over to away fans is quite shocking.  I do agree that the 'acoustics' in there could / should be improved if at all possible, although someone gave me a DVD of the Town v Spurs game (Slade era), where the commentator says something about the capacity of Blundell Park only being about 9,000 (?) but it sounded more like 30,000 (?).  We do still have our moments.  Let's hope the play-offs can bring some of that back.

Private Message
Reply: 50 - 60
Badger57
April 25, 2014, 10:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
I remember the days when you could watch one half from the Osmond and the second half from the Pontoon or vice versa depending on which way we kicked first half! Was quite funny seeing half the Pontoon charging down the other end after the coin toss if we were kicking towards the Osmond first!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 60
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 26, 2014, 9:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Badger57
I remember the days when you could watch one half from the Osmond and the second half from the Pontoon or vice versa depending on which way we kicked first half! Was quite funny seeing half the Pontoon charging down the other end after the coin toss if we were kicking towards the Osmond first!  

Is that when the away fans were put in the Harrington st corner (next to the ponny) ???
Seem to remember this in buckleys first promotion season.

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 60
rancido
April 26, 2014, 11:47am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from GyMariner
I know the chances of this are slim but as we are giving ideas. I like the idea of putting away fans on the second tier of stands (upper findus) where they can have no or little influence on the game. I do believe having town fans behind both goals would have an impact on the teams performance.

This really wouldn't work for many reasons. The corporate boxes,directors area,McMenemy's and the Mariners Bar are all supported by the Upper Findus. This part of the Findus stand offers the best view ( football wise ) of any of the stands, especially the area towards the centre-line of the pitch.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 60
Mariners_15
April 26, 2014, 12:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Agreed that it wouldn't be right to swap ends and move away fans into the Pontoon but been saying for years that 100 fans on the away end can sound a lot noisier and roudier than 4-500 on the Pontoon because of the acoustics of the stands. The roof in the Pontoon is the main reason for the poor acoustics and although I'm not 100% sure, I would hazard a guess and say it would cost far too much for the club to address this and sort a new roof out?

The idea of putting panels at the side of the stand is an interesting one as I'm not sure if it would help improve the acoustics as much as fixing the roof situation would but could possible improve it a fair bit and would be a cheaper option. Is this something the trust could put to the club maybe? Just ask some questions about it so to speak...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 60
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 26, 2014, 1:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Out of interest, when the club just wondered about these things:

When built, was the findus stand intended to be behind one of the goals and the pitch turn round?

And

When making the pontoon all seated, is it right the council refused to allow it to be made into a 2 seated stand due to it not allowing the right amount of sunlight into people's gardens??

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 60
Badger57
April 28, 2014, 7:21am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Is that when the away fans were put in the Harrington st corner (next to the ponny) ???
Seem to remember this in buckleys first promotion season.

No, it was when I was a young kid, I'm thinking it was probably the 69/70 or 70/71 season. Probably before segregation? I don't remember many scraps but then again there were not many there in those days!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 60
BIGChris
April 28, 2014, 7:30am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Badger57

No, it was when I was a young kid, I'm thinking it was probably the 69/70 or 70/71 season. Probably before segregation? I don't remember many scraps but then again there were not many there in those days!

I agree badger. We used to wait for the coin toss before walking round to be behind the goal Town were attacking and then switch at half time. This was common certainly from about 68 through to even 73 ish. Not many travelled in those days and very little segregation most of the time
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 60
barralad
April 28, 2014, 7:46am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from BIGChris

I agree badger. We used to wait for the coin toss before walking round to be behind the goal Town were attacking and then switch at half time. This was common certainly from about 68 through to even 73 ish. Not many travelled in those days and very little segregation most of the time

Night matches were great in those days...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 60
Garth
April 28, 2014, 8:16am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
All this palarva. two goals off the shops rear end and two from Hannah and good night boys especially with our skinny away goals against record
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 60
arryarryarry
April 28, 2014, 9:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Badger57

I remember when we played Middlesborough at home when they were top I think and the Pontoon was packed with Boro fans with just a small enclave of Town fans that made it in, there was a sizeable element of Boro fans in the Osmond as well. but we had the last laugh as we beat them 2-1 if my memory is right.  

Private Message
Reply: 60 - 60
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › You, the fans.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.