3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
MrsMariner
July 22, 2014, 5:05pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +432
Gold Stars: 1

Just wondered what everyones expectations are for the start of the season based on the fixtures we've been given & the fact that were missing Neilson, Pearson, & Toto for 3,2 & 1 games respectively.
It's so important we get off to a good start something we dont seem to have been able to do in this league, will a repeat of last seasons 10 points from the first 6 games be classed as good enough bearing in mind we will be fielding a weakened side for the first 3 games or do we have stronger squad this time around. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Marinerz93
July 22, 2014, 5:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from MrsMariner

Just wondered what everyones expectations are for the start of the season based on the fixtures we've been given & the fact that were missing Neilson, Pearson, & Toto for 3,2 & 1 games respectively.
It's so important we get off to a good start something we dont seem to have been able to do in this league, will a repeat of last seasons 10 points from the first 6 games be classed as good enough bearing in mind we will be fielding a weakened side for the first 3 games or do we have stronger squad this time around. UTM

Good thread MrsMariner, I feel that expectations will be high again this season and hopefully we go up as champions.  With key players out for the first few games it won't give us a true idea of where we will find ourselves come the business end of the season.  How often have we seen a team run away with it up until Christmas then either go up as play off winners or drop off enough for their season to dry up.

This season I believe we have the sort of midfield we all have been crying out for and if they protect the defence then I struggle to see anyone beating us.  I am yet to be convinced we will do enough up top so we could either see a few games won by the odd goal and quite a few draws.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
oldun
July 22, 2014, 5:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Yes everyone likes their team to get off to a flyer  but that does not necessarily mean promotion. Last years runaway winners, Luton were in the bottom half of the table early on. I remember we won away at Crawley in an opening day fixture and they went on to storm the league. As for this season, obviously the first game is difficult because of the suspensions and Bristol will be a bit of an unknown quantity. If can get at least a point that will be fine as it will be a tricky fixture out of the way. I would like to see better results at home than last season and this could be the key to where we end up. I will be happy if we are in the top 8 after 10 games, top 5 by Christmas and hit the top by Easter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
MuddyWaters
July 22, 2014, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,236
Gold Stars: 235
Less worried about how we start than how we finish. I just hope that we don't stutter after Christmas as we have done in the last two seasons. If my memory serves me right, several players tweeted that the Huddersfield game was a platform to kick on from - in fact, it turned out to be the exact opposite.

Whether you blame the trophy, the cup or the transfer window, the last two seasons have both finished disappointingly and I hope that history doesn't repeat itself again.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
July 22, 2014, 5:32pm
Guest User
I am confident we will get the play-offs but to win the league I don't think we have enough upfront. Unless we pay a fee for a striker I can't see us signing a player who is capable of scoring 20+ goals who has pace and power to his game as well. The next 3 signings will make my opinion on whether we will challenge for the league or challenge for a play-off spot.
Reply: 4 - 23
grimsby pete
July 22, 2014, 5:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
We will start slow,

Make a bit of headway by the New Year,

Then run away with from all the also rans,

Winning the league by 6 points,

Well I can dream can't   I,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
MrsMariner
July 22, 2014, 6:30pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +432

I would like to see us with 12 points from the first 6 games but realistically I see us with 9 any less & I'll be worried & the doom & gloom merchants will be out calling for Hurst's head.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
TAGG
July 22, 2014, 6:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Lack of another striker worries me. If we don't get a top bloke up front we will end up mid table. Hope I'm wrong though UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
Freemoash88
July 22, 2014, 6:34pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
Its not a race its a marathon and if we start slow who cares aslong as we are there come end of the seasons thats what counts!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
mariner91
July 22, 2014, 6:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,641
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from TAGG
Lack of another striker worries me. If we don't get a top bloke up front we will end up mid table. Hope I'm wrong though UTM

Don't think we'd end up mid table but we'd be looking at fighting to be getting in the play offs possibly as opposed to challenging for the title which is where we all want to be.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Expectations

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.