Teestogreen
July 25, 2014, 11:29pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -152
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Maringer
Ironside might as well not have been playing in the first half. Utterly dominated by their big and physical defenders. Clay was better than against Donny the other night but still not up to much. I don't think either would be good additions to the squad.

Pittman didn't do a great deal tonight, either, but I'd imagine he might be a useful different option so it wouldn't surprise me to see him sign.

I agree that Magnay looked very solid and we generally dealt with the aerial assault quite well tonight, in the first half especially. Brown looks an improvement and he could make a difference in games assuming he can start to link up well with Disley.

Not sure we'd sign him on that recommendation - no different to the trialists - more irrational desperation if we do!

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 41
RichMariner
July 25, 2014, 11:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
So how many games has Ironside had? Four? Plenty of time to impress, and by the sound of things he's impressed no one. It's a long time to spend at one club trying to earn a deal. If he's let go, which I think will happen, he'll not have much time to find a deal elsewhere. Not that it's our problem.

The one trialist who did impress was Hinchliffe and he was moved on immediately because of one reason or another.

The jury's out on Pittman - clearly has experience and impressed at Crawley, but is injury prone. Not sure he's stood out enough in his two games to make me think he's the answer to our forward line problem though.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 31 - 41
Maringer
July 25, 2014, 11:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
He did more against Donny than tonight, that's for sure. That said, Ironside was so completely dominated by their defence that he couldn't link up for Pittman to do anything much. I can't say I'm massively enthused by any of the trialists, but Pittman is probably the one I would go for out of all of them.

It's a real pity that we lost tonight due to our one real defensive member-up all game (and even then it was a bit unlucky).

A lot who didn't see the game will think same old, same old, but we really weren't bad and I think we have more ability in the squad than last season. It's just a matter of whether or not we can make two or three extra signings to make the difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 41
itsnotcoditshaddock
July 25, 2014, 11:47pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
Anyone know who the blonde bird was sat in our dugout...?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 41
moosey_club
July 26, 2014, 12:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Had more chances than them but failed to put them away, Hannah a couple of chances, Paddy should have done better , on my two viewings i would summarise thus;

Hurst needs to bin off the three triallists and start playing a settled side ready for the start. Four or five different attacking combinations with 45 mins each wont be able build a relationship ready to start, neither will the the centre midfield.

Still no visible clear pattern of play which is most concerning.

Set pieces.....no threat at all.......Throw ins....Jeeeez...seriously..??

As we stand...today....as if we didnt know it...we need to add firepower....i think without reinforcements we may see Arnold getting a chance up top within 4/5 games of the new start.

In the two games this week we have probably created 7 excellent chances, good news maybe but of those chances we have made the keeper save 1 and the rest havnt hit the target.

Its all a bit deja vu.      

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 41
Teesknees
July 26, 2014, 6:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18

Alan Connell?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 41
itsnotcoditshaddock
July 26, 2014, 8:03am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
More Robbie Savage than Alan Connell...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 41
Mariners_15
July 26, 2014, 10:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Didn't go last night but I see Pittman was only given 45 minutes. Anyone know if he was injured or not?

If not seems silly to take him off thought we would have give him 90 mins and a decent chance to show us what he's got?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 41
Garth
July 26, 2014, 11:14am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26

Rob Scott wearing a wig?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 41
Grimal
July 26, 2014, 8:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Mariners_15
Didn't go last night but I see Pittman was only given 45 minutes. Anyone know if he was injured or not?

If not seems silly to take him off thought we would have give him 90 mins and a decent chance to show us what he's got?

Yeh, he got a knock fairly early on but looked to have run it off ,perhaps tightened up at half time. I like him and think he would be a good signing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › town mansfield match thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.