Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst time officially now up
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 102 Guests

Hurst time officially now up

This thread currently has 15,980 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
August 16, 2014, 5:45pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
We're nowhere near that stage yet. With players coming back things can only improve. I'd give him the whole season with a target of top 5 finish.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 169
TownSNAFU5
August 16, 2014, 5:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,896
Gold Stars: 42
Some teams promoted (or thereabouts) have struggled at the start of the season.  We won at Crawley, Kiddo struggled badly for a long time and Luton started poorly last season.

It is a marathon not a sprint.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 169
Mariner Ronnie
August 16, 2014, 5:46pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
if you thought things were bad?

http://www.gasheads.org

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 169
mariner91
August 16, 2014, 5:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from GrimRob
We're nowhere near that stage yet. With players coming back things can only improve. I'd give him the whole season with a target of top 5 finish.

Can't give him the whole season if this carries on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 169
Mariner Ronnie
August 16, 2014, 5:49pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from mariner91

Can't give him the whole season if this carries on.

i know but we can honestly say the last 2 seasons'  starts haven't been too great, but we never looked back at the end of them.

UTM!

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 169
DocTower
August 16, 2014, 5:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223

The test for me will be what happens when we have the full squad and PH has more permutations and combinations.  Will he release some of the cautious shackles and take a few risks?  Will he try something a bit different?  Will he build the pointy end of the team around beauty rather than brawn?  Let's rate progress then.[/quote]

Unfortunately I feel he will still be as cautious as usual ,  rotating the team , playing the same style , leopards don't change their spots .
When will the players start to loose faith ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 169
grimsby pete
August 16, 2014, 6:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,828
Gold Stars: 222
I am as sick as a parrott,

AND

I hope Hurst is as well,

I do not think he should be sacked though,

Give him 5 or 6 games with a full squad then if we are still as bad,

He will have to go.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 169
Maringer
August 16, 2014, 6:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,655
Gold Stars: 189
It's only a week ago that we were laughing at Huddersfield for sacking Robins after one match of the season. Now people are seriously saying we should sack Hurst after three drawn matches? Ridiculous.

However, it must be said that it was a pretty dire performance today. I was surprised that we played with 3 at the back as I really don't think we have the players available to perform in this formation. Neither Boyce nor Nsiala is much good on the ball so this led to way too many hacks upfield. Probably Boyce's worst game for us I'd say and he was incredibly lucky that McKeown was able to save that penalty at the death as it was a ridiculous penalty to concede as there was no danger. Nsiala made a few good tackles but most were recovery tackles because he'd been caught badly out of position. I hope to see a big improvement from him this season as he's not been too good so far. Pearson slotted back in very well and was probably my man of the match which doesn't say a lot for the team's performance.

For me, the biggest disappointment today was how poor our central midfield pairing were. How on Earth was Brown awarded Man of the Match? He was poor today - barely in the game, not even bothering to challenge for headers and our passing from and through midfield from him and the others was poor. Heaven only knows how he managed to miss the open goal near the end - a certain player in our team would have been crucified for that miss, but it doesn't seem to be worth much mention on here. Clay tried hard but is distinctly average and really doesn know what to do when he finds himself in a wide position. Disley blew hot and cold a lot today as well.

Magnay tried his hardest from wing-back but, with the best will in the world, he's never going to be a great attacker. On the other side, Paddy showed he's not a defender as he was caught out of position a fair bit against their quick winger and his lack of pace didn't help. I don't put all the blame on him for their equaliser as he did at least put a challenge in but it was simply pathetic that the other two defenders took themselves out of the game by just standing in completely the wrong position.

Up front, LJL worked hard as usual and did OK I thought, especially as Connell was mostly invisible once again. Did LJL's shot just hit the post or did the keeper get fingertips on it as well? Should have done better with his header a few seconds later though when he beat the keeper to the ball. Pittman a big improvement when he came on with some pace and aggression so let's hope he can stay fit. Not sure if we'll see too much more of Connell now as three games of doing nothing must surely be enough for us to decide he's not worth keeping.

I just hope that the return of Nielsen, Hannah, Arnold and Mackreth can spur us on and give us some pep that we were so badly lacking today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 169
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 16, 2014, 6:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from GrimRob

I really do admire your optimism but ............. Might as well give him next season as well then, and the one after that?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 169
Green27
August 16, 2014, 6:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 12
Give it 10 games then release your frustrations. Your missus must be really disappointed if your this quick with everything.

We do the DN35 Podcast
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 169
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst time officially now up

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.