Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › all quiet on Palmer front
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 142 Guests

all quiet on Palmer front

This thread currently has 38,768 views. Print
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
headingly_mariner
June 6, 2015, 9:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
One missed clearance and we rule him out. He also sprang the offside trap and lifted it past a keeper that was outside his box, sometimes you don't get the tub of the green. He's not the greatest player but always capable of a goal and that's something we need.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 191
Magsinrio
June 6, 2015, 9:31am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +220
Gold Stars: 2
At the level we are currently at we cannot expect or afford the "greatest" players. We need committed, solid players who are willing to put their kneck on the block for the team and who can fit in to what is obviously a great team spirit at the moment. Ollie clearly showed he has skill and ability and think given a run here that would develop even more and be a part of a solid strikeforce. Like you say I am sure PH will pull a rabbit or two out of the hat soon. I think there is nothing more than signing a good striker to get the fans buzzing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 191
Grantham_Mariner
June 6, 2015, 9:31am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,195
Gold Stars: 51
So, correct me if I have got things wrong......

Because of his age and the fact that Mansfield have offered him a contract a fee is payable, either by agreement or tribunal.

But what happens when Palmer stops being paid by Mansfield, but is unable to sign for us (or another) because they do not or will not pay a fee. He will have no income unless he signs what sounds like a poor offer by Mansfield.

This is a very poor situation for any young footballer!

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 191
mariner91
June 6, 2015, 9:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
So, correct me if I have got things wrong......

Because of his age and the fact that Mansfield have offered him a contract a fee is payable, either by agreement or tribunal.

But what happens when Palmer stops being paid by Mansfield, but is unable to sign for us (or another) because they do not or will not pay a fee. He will have no income unless he signs what sounds like a poor offer by Mansfield.

This is a very poor situation for any young footballer!

No. The offer is not a poor one, it has to be higher than his previous contract for Mansfield to be eligible to a fee. The sticking point, I would imagine, is that Mansfield have signed three strikers in a week so he might not even get on the bench most weeks and at 23 that isn't doing your career any favours. If he doesn't sign for Mansfield, we can sign him but would owe Mansfield a fee. However, as he's only been there 2 years and they sent him out on loan, it would probably not be all that much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 191
Rodley Mariner
June 6, 2015, 9:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
I think it can be the same or higher but it definitely can't be a poorer offer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 191
Grantham_Mariner
June 6, 2015, 9:50am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,195
Gold Stars: 51
Think this fee rule should only apply if a player goes to a team in the same league or higher. If they have developed him so he is good enough for the same level of football or better, yes I thing they need compensation. Otherwise no fee.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 191
mariner91
June 6, 2015, 9:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Think this fee rule should only apply if a player goes to a team in the same league or higher. If they have developed him so he is good enough for the same level of football or better, yes I thing they need compensation. Otherwise no fee.

Yeah they've clearly not done a very good job if he's going down the football ladder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 191
Magsinrio
June 6, 2015, 9:54am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +220
Gold Stars: 2
With that explanation it makes it sound even clearer that mansfield are sending out a clear message. Having signed 3 strikers and , it appears, Ollie has not yet signed for them they look to be forcing hiim out elsewhere with the hope for a few quid! Maybe they were expecting another League club to snap him up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 191
cmackenzie4
June 6, 2015, 10:04am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I would love Palmer back here, he can get a goal out of nothing, get him 100% fit and he'll be a real handful for most defences in this league in my opinion.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 191
oldludensian
June 6, 2015, 10:04am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / -8
Approval: +57
Quoted from 75
I know he's a forward and as a big lad he was back to defend the corner but it was a pathetic effort at clearing the ball. I think we would have seen the game out as we have done so many times if we hadn't conceded then. Perhaps another example of his lack of concentration? Anyway, it's done now.

Fuckme  it was one clearance in one match. Have you never made one mistake?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 191
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › all quiet on Palmer front

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.