Southwark Mariner
July 28, 2015, 10:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from Heisenberg

We should have kept Charlie I'Anson, no doubt in my mind.  I think Hurst on his own would have, but I think Rob Scott rubbed him up the wrong way and he couldn't wait to leave.

There was a lot of fuss made when he left. I'm still waiting for him to make a big impact.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 28, 2015, 10:55am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
That was the problem in that season. Too many past it or never had it players costing too much money. The parachute cash was just thrown away.

In fairness I suppose there were a lot of players to get rid of and pay off but Woods never had the contacts and experience to know what would make a promotion team. Connell was a good signing and he had a great first spell at BP but I doubt he would have done it again if he'd stayed. The tone was set by Evans conning Woods into buying Hopalong Ademeno who was never properly scouted and players like Kempson and Leary who were journeymen at best. The only one I'd have now would be Coulson.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
Chrisblor
July 28, 2015, 10:59am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,953
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

There was a lot of fuss made when he left. I'm still waiting for him to make a big impact.

He's played a couple of games in La Liga, and last season made 12 appearances on loan for Real Oviedo helping them to 1st place in the Spanish equivalent of League One. I think that suggests the fuss was warrented.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
Garth
July 28, 2015, 11:02am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
That was the problem in that season. Too many past it or never had it players costing too much money. The parachute cash was just thrown away.

In fairness I suppose there were a lot of players to get rid of and pay off but Woods never had the contacts and experience to know what would make a promotion team. Connell was a good signing and he had a great first spell at BP but I doubt he would have done it again if he'd stayed. The tone was set by Evans conning Woods into buying Hopalong Ademeno who was never properly scouted and players like Kempson and Leary who were journeymen at best. The only one I'd have now would be Coulson.

Coulson was a similar player to Colbeck and Jack but more direct and arguable more of a threat, saying that the other two are/were better defenders
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 28, 2015, 11:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,973
Gold Stars: 181
I believe kempson is still trying to do a u turn in the Humber

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
Grantley
July 28, 2015, 11:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Gold Stars: 9
This squad may be better but can they make someone produce a poorly animated pisstake video about Neil Woods and John Fenty like the 2010/11 team? Didn't think so.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
BIGChris
July 28, 2015, 11:14am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Chrisblor

He's played a couple of games in La Liga, and last season made 12 appearances on loan for Real Oviedo helping them to 1st place in the Spanish equivalent of League One. I think that suggests the fuss was warrented.

Isnt that at a regional league level, a sort of Yorkshire League equivilant?
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
Abdul19
July 28, 2015, 11:16am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,590
Gold Stars: 219
If we went up this season there's no way we'd have a squad that big again, even in league 2.[/quote]

That's everyone who was registered over the course of the season, they weren't all here at once (Jones, Hegarty and Forbes were gone before the start). There's a few yt's in there too.

It was shite though!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
BIGChris
July 28, 2015, 11:20am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I believe kempson is still trying to do a u turn in the Humber

I actually thought that had we had a Kempson a season earlier we wouldnt have gone down!

Atkinson & Lancashire were bullied and gave away so many late goals. Kempson as a stopper centre back alongside either of those would have been much better IMO and may well have stopped so many late goals/penalties against us.

Wouldnt have him anywhere near our squad now though unless he can drive a coach
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
Hagrid
July 28, 2015, 12:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
if stockdale was fit I'd have him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Squad Progression

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.