July 28, 2015, 12:37pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,959
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from BIGChris

Isnt that at a regional league level, a sort of Yorkshire League equivilant?

Yes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_football_league_system), but winning one of the 4 Segunda Divisións gets you promoted into the Spanish equivalent of the Championship, so I'd suggest that means I'Anson's been playing at a considerably higher level the English interpretation of a regional league would suggest! He's also been starting games in pre-season for Elche (who finished 13th in La Liga last season although were still relegated on financial grounds), so we definitely lost out on a very good player by letting him leave so easily!

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 40
MuddyWaters
July 28, 2015, 12:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,281
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Chrisblor

Yes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_football_league_system), but winning one of the 4 Segunda Divisións gets you promoted into the Spanish equivalent of the Championship, so I'd suggest that means I'Anson's been playing at a considerably higher level the English interpretation of a regional league would suggest! He's also been starting games in pre-season for Elche (who finished 13th in La Liga last season although were still relegated on financial grounds), so we definitely lost out on a very good player by letting him leave so easily!

Charlie was a long way off being the finished article when he was with us but anyone who couldn't see his potential (Rob Scott) needed their eyes testing. And Real Oviedo are at least League 1 standard, Elche considerably higher - probably enough to say he could have gone on to a similar level as that of Ryan Bennett.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 40
Heisenberg
July 28, 2015, 12:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,099
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Chrisblor

He's played a couple of games in La Liga, and last season made 12 appearances on loan for Real Oviedo helping them to 1st place in the Spanish equivalent of League One. I think that suggests the fuss was warrented.

The thing that annoyed me about the I'Anson situation was that, from the admittedly limited games I saw of him, I thought he was good enough then, and not simply just a prospect worth gambling on.  Any 17 year old centre half who could take Conference football and not be bullied by rough and tumble strikers is worth a long contract in my opinion.

I think Pearson, Toto and Gowling would still be our 3 nowadays as I'Anson would have been snapped-up by a bigger club than us now anyway, but probably for a decent fee.

It's all opinion of course and we'll never know, but I rated him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 40
Jarmo.Is.God
July 28, 2015, 1:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
I'Anson didnt get on with Hurst, and would of stayed for longer, had Woods stayed as manager
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 40
diehardmariner
July 28, 2015, 1:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,673
Gold Stars: 540
You have to ask why I'Anson didn't get on with Hurst, surely?

The nature of football, dressing-rooms and the ego of footballers means you will always have fall-outs.  That will never be avoided.

Since Hurst came here and especially since he took over on his own we've heard very little of dressing room upset.  

It's no great secret that one of the reasons so many of the retained players stayed this summer was because of Hurst.

Why is it that so many footballers have been able to have a very good working relationship with Paul Hurst yet a small handful haven't?  
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 40
Garth
July 28, 2015, 2:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
I'Anson didnt get on with Hurst, and would of stayed for longer, had Woods stayed as manager

Probably had more to do with gobby Robbie
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 40
Garth
July 28, 2015, 2:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from BIGChris

I actually thought that had we had a Kempson a season earlier we wouldnt have gone down!

Atkinson & Lancashire were bullied and gave away so many late goals. Kempson as a stopper centre back alongside either of those would have been much better IMO and may well have stopped so many late goals/penalties against us.

Wouldnt have him anywhere near our squad now though unless he can drive a coach

Always liked Kempson never gave less than 100%,  but we moved on now quality wise
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 40
Jarmo.Is.God
July 28, 2015, 2:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Garth

Probably had more to do with gobby Robbie

more than likely, i did mean to put hurst and scott, as it was at the time when he was here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 40
Madeleymariner
July 28, 2015, 6:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,064
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from crusty ole pie
5 keepers ?

Most on loan I think, didn't Kenny break his finger and then Colgan refused to play because the crowd got on his back when they saw how bad he was which put him in a big sulk.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 40
Mighty_Mariner
July 28, 2015, 11:19pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,241
Gold Stars: 10
That was the problem in that season. Too many past it or never had it players costing too much money. The parachute cash was just thrown away.

In fairness I suppose there were a lot of players to get rid of and pay off but Woods never had the contacts and experience to know what would make a promotion team. Connell was a good signing and he had a great first spell at BP but I doubt he would have done it again if he'd stayed. The tone was set by Evans conning Woods into buying Hopalong Ademeno who was never properly scouted and players like Kempson and Leary who were journeymen at best. The only one I'd have now would be Coulson.

I think Ademeno was signed on the back of the 6 minute hat-trick he scored against Grays. To be fair, had a stayed for I think he would have been a decent signing!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Squad Progression

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.