This thread currently has 9,207 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
August 30, 2015, 1:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Not the time to jump ship when the going gets tough the tough get going and we WILL get going don't panic and keep the faith.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 54
Marinerz93
August 30, 2015, 1:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
The reason why this message board is one of the best out there is because of the variety of views.

We could all stand in a line and watch a sequence of play and all have different opinions of how the play developed, some may miss a pass, a run off the ball or an incident that leads to sending off.

If you feel that you are not getting your point across, read thoroughly the differing views and try and reword your counter debate.  Obviously there will be times when there is no common ground and the two opposing views will be at check mate, that's life.

Frustration does get to us all at some point but Mariner93er excellent comments from above in reply 8 hit the nail on the head for me, well said.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 54
forza ivano
August 30, 2015, 1:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,281
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from jonnyboy82
First off can I say there are the likes of Ginny and chaos who basically say what i mean but in a more passive way shall we say , then you have me who say what i think and try to be reasonable with a bit of sometimes i admit awful banter   but some agree with me to the main that its the same old chopping and changing to poor start year on year..

Some can take it in their stride and not be concerned its like previous seasons on repeat like barra fishoutofwater and headingly mariner and thats fair play to them thats there opinion even if it to me makes them rather easily pleased or deluded not sure yet which.

Then you have forza plus some strange bloke who pretends to be pizza and his buddies who just straight away go for insults and have very little up top to form a valid opinion so i pretty much disregard what they say tbh.

The common thing is we all want promotion and some can see paul getting it hopefully before 2020 and some cant and are not happy this is our fifth season and seem to be lagging behind quite alot already.

I honestly have nothing personal towards him much to somes surprise maybe i just cant sit back after being 9 points behind the leaders already and hope things come good , i like to think all the chopping and needless changing paul does he does because he thinks its worth it i like to say he does it because he still does not know that a settled eleven is key to a successful team.

I must admit his interviews are much improved but his management skills and even the way his team starts seasons are not.

I even saw someone put on here that paul pulled off a masterstroke for leaving two strikers on yesterday i mean come on we were losing ffs it was hardly a masterstroke.

Anyway what im saying is good luck to town and i will be attending most games when work permits me to but im done for a bit on here now as i think we all need a bit of a break from each other   and lets hope town can pull a run together.

Ginny chaos acko and a few others keep it balanced eh  

Ta ta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
grimps
August 30, 2015, 2:18pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,143
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Mariner93er
I think sometimes you've got to ignore where we are in the table and simply enjoy supporting your team. And this team, for me personally, is making it easy for me to support them with entertaining performances. We could all support your Manchester City's or Manchester Uniteds but we don't, and telling people that I dont and telling them who I support is always a pleasure, no matter where we are in any league. I sometimes think of what it would be like if we didn't have a club and it puts it into perspective for me as to how lucky I am to have a club that I feel proud to support, and means I always try to be positive about Grimsby Town. Naturally some people will think I'm babbling on, and I totally understand their critical stance, its your right as a supporter. But sometimes you just have to enjoy supporting other wise why do you do it?

We've always had fantastic supporters who go more for a day out than any real expectation of success  , especially away from home.
I've been following the Mariners over 30 years and most of my best days have been on the road.
When we was in the championship we'd often take more to the likes of Norwich , Ipswich even Birmingham than they'd ever bring to ours despite them getting 4 times as many home fans as us.

I'd be willing to bet that 4-500 of those that went away to Lincoln will not be present at the home game on Monday,An away day is treated more as a urine up by most of our fans
Maybe a new stadium with good bars and facilities could turn the home experience into the same kind of thing ?

I'm not sure why and it makes no sense to fans of other clubs how a none league team can regularly take 50% of their home support away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 54
RonMariner
August 30, 2015, 2:43pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,814
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Mariner93er
I think sometimes you've got to ignore where we are in the table and simply enjoy supporting your team. And this team, for me personally, is making it easy for me to support them with entertaining performances. We could all support your Manchester City's or Manchester Uniteds but we don't, and telling people that I dont and telling them who I support is always a pleasure, no matter where we are in any league. I sometimes think of what it would be like if we didn't have a club and it puts it into perspective for me as to how lucky I am to have a club that I feel proud to support, and means I always try to be positive about Grimsby Town. Naturally some people will think I'm babbling on, and I totally understand their critical stance, its your right as a supporter. But sometimes you just have to enjoy supporting other wise why do you do it?

Well said.
It is frustrating right now, but it is early days and there is definitely hope. I think this squad is capable of going on a strong run and, if it were to come to it, I think are far more capable of winning the play offs than previous  recent squads.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 54
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 30, 2015, 3:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from headingly_mariner

It's not about staying positive, it's about having been at the game and having a view on it. In the last two games we have snatched a point against the odds, granted Hurst made too many changes against Torquay IMO but the players still showed the character and ability to comeback 2nd half. Yesterday was a very good performance, I can't remember us playing so well with 10 men. If you haven't made it to the game, in my eyes you don't have a valid opinion on it, I realise people can't always make the game for whatever reason but sitting, getting mad at the radio and the fishy can't be fun.

Would it be a fair (and not negative ) question to ask why the odds go against us in the first place if we are playing as well as people say we are? It does seem to happen too frequently for comfort doesn't it?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 54
headingly_mariner
August 30, 2015, 3:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120

Would it be a fair (and not negative ) question to ask why the odds go against us in the first place if we are playing as well as people say we are? It does seem to happen too frequently for comfort doesn't it?

Personally I think Torquay was the wrong team selection but we gave away two soft goals. Yesterday was a poor decision from the ref or gowling or blatant cheating. Do good teams not go behind or suffer poor form?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
GrimRob
August 30, 2015, 3:32pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,443
Gold Stars: 114
Most important thing is that we stick together and that our players can feel our pride when they pull on their shirts.Every football team "drops" points, and some points feel more dropped than others. It's far more enjoyable going to games when everyone backs the team and manager as they do at the moment.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 54
dapperz fun pub
August 30, 2015, 3:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,048
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Personally I think Torquay was the wrong team selection but we gave away two soft goals. Yesterday was a poor decision from the ref or gowling or blatant cheating. Do good teams not go behind or suffer poor form?

You push some one in the face on a football pitch you risk a red card,gowling to blame he didn't need to put himself in that position
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
FishOutOfWater
August 30, 2015, 3:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,577
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from jonnyboy82
First off can I say there are the likes of Ginny and chaos who basically say what i mean but in a more passive way shall we say , then you have me who say what i think and try to be reasonable with a bit of sometimes i admit awful banter   but some agree with me to the main that its the same old chopping and changing to poor start year on year..

Some can take it in their stride and not be concerned its like previous seasons on repeat like barra fishoutofwater and headingly mariner and thats fair play to them thats there opinion even if it to me makes them rather easily pleased or deluded not sure yet which.

Then you have forza plus some strange bloke who pretends to be pizza and his buddies who just straight away go for insults and have very little up top to form a valid opinion so i pretty much disregard what they say tbh.

The common thing is we all want promotion and some can see paul getting it hopefully before 2020 and some cant and are not happy this is our fifth season and seem to be lagging behind quite alot already.

Quoted from Marinerz93
The reason why this message board is one of the best out there is because of the variety of views.

We could all stand in a line and watch a sequence of play and all have different opinions of how the play developed, some may miss a pass, a run off the ball or an incident that leads to sending off.

If you feel that you are not getting your point across, read thoroughly the differing views and try and reword your counter debate.  Obviously there will be times when there is no common ground and the two opposing views will be at check mate, that's life.

Frustration does get to us all at some point but Mariner93er excellent comments from above in reply 8 hit the nail on the head for me, well said.

Easily pleased or deluded....that made me smile  

I don't think it's the latter but I can't disagree - maybe I am more easily pleased than some. Maybe I should change my name to HeadInTheSand eh?

Doesn't mean I am totally happy with our current situation but I am prepared to reserve judgement on this season as we are still only a few games in...

What I have to agree with is our common aim....there's the rub though. I am prepared to wait and see how things pan out in the first few months and don't think that our position relative to FGR for example is that serious.

I know we all wanted a great start and it's not happened but let's not forget it is also about how you finish. How many of us thought that Mansfield would be the champions when we tore them to bits on an August Bank Holiday Monday a couple of years ago. We might have been looked on then as favourites and them the also-rans but it didn't work out that way in the long run

Anyway Johnnyboy I have to say I've enjoyed your views...maybe a bit less forgiving than I could be but your perception is your reality. If you think that we're floundering, who is to say you aren't right? Just because we don't agree on the way ahead doesn't mean we don't want the same destination.

Maybe I am a bit deluded as you say but anyway I've given your profile a + because when all is said and done, your passion for Town can't be ignored and as Marinerz93 says, the diversity of views is what makes this board; if we were all the same what a boring place it might be

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Goodnight from me chaps

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.