7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
October 15, 2015, 8:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,938
Gold Stars: 360
Some really interesting talking points in this thread. I agree with several but tend to agree with RRFC generally I think. I do believe the side was weakened in terms of goal threat, even if Hurst felt he was improving it. I'm also interested in the idea that the results improved with Tomlinson in the side. We only won two out of five did we not?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 62
Rodley Mariner
October 15, 2015, 8:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
We'd won 2 out of 7 or 8 before that and lost twice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 62
ginnywings
October 15, 2015, 9:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,148
Gold Stars: 548
Much tougher run of games too. We definitely tightened up but with the downside of not scoring as much. We'll never know if we would have won more points with Bogle/Amond up front against FGR, Wrexham, Braintree etc. I think it was the loss to Altrincham that started the pack shuffling by Hurst.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 62
chaos33
October 15, 2015, 9:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Yeah ok, to be fair that's right I suppose, if a bit of a crude IMO. Hard to make a proper comparison really because Tomlinson didn't play 7 or 8 games, and it's not just about him is it. Lots of variables. I think, generally speaking, we've been drawing too many games and not winning enough. No point going back over old ground again now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 62
Rodley Mariner
October 15, 2015, 9:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
No but there certainly isn't evidence to support the idea that his inclusion significantly weakened us. His run of starts included some tough games as well. Maybe his inclusion steadied us as much as anything and hopefully we can now extend the unbeaten run with more wins than draws.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 62
ginnywings
October 15, 2015, 9:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,148
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from chaos33
Yeah ok, to be fair that's right I suppose, if a bit of a crude IMO. Hard to make a proper comparison really because Tomlinson didn't play 7 or 8 games, and it's not just about him is it. Lots of variables. I think, generally speaking, we've been drawing too many games and not winning enough. No point going back over old ground again now.

I agree it's crude and but after Altrincham he made lots of changes; too many if you ask me and Pittman, then Tommo were preferred to Bogle in general and Amond in particular for a good few games. Pittman of course took his chance and Amond couldn't get back in, with Tommo being preferred to Bogle. I'm of the opinion that too many changes were made, not just in attack but we'll never know if they were the correct calls or not.

Too many draws as you say but at least we haven't lost many and over a season all those 1 points add up, keeping us in contention for when that winning run happens. Still think he should have stuck with Bogle and Amond and rode it out though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 62
chaos33
October 15, 2015, 9:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Yes I do too, although there was clearly a case for Tomlinson playing in some of those games.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 62
Rodley Mariner
October 15, 2015, 9:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
Yes I do too, although there was clearly a case for Tomlinson playing in some of those games.

I wonder if his natural cautiousness led him to feel some games, like Wrexham, were 'must not lose'. Maybe if we'd been more positive we'd have picked up more points but we'll never know. Ultimately, one way or another we're on a good run, climbing the table and getting closer to FGR. Just need to keep going.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 62
chaos33
October 15, 2015, 9:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Yeah I think you're right on all counts there RM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 62
Grantley
October 15, 2015, 11:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,508
Gold Stars: 9
Agree with most of these. Tomlinson was probably used for his defensive capabilities against the good teams so we didn't lose, something which might've continued with Podge and Bogle, despite possibly winning more. Have a feeling the main two will be used from now on, especially against the weaker teams.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Podge

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.