Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 538
Bogle fee
Goalkeeping coach Warrington
General budget boost.

As absolutely unbelievable as the amount raised was, we've got to be realistic as to what it would bring in.  

Let us say that Bogle cost £25k (£25k extra upon promotion).  
Warrington £25k a year.

That's half of it gone straight away.

Look at the players we retained from last year, especially those we didn't think we would have had a chance of keeping.   More than anywhere else I'm looking at our three centre backs.  Toto, Pearson and Gowling could all have gone elsewhere, even at this level, for more money I'm sure of that.  These are players who were A) in demand and B) outstanding performers last season, you generally don't keep those guys on the same money they were previously bringing in.

If those three players each received a £200 a week increase, that's over £30k a year before any other contributions.  

Rather than spunking the money on a couple of signings, the club have spread this out.  In my opinion that's a much better method of doing this.  As said above, it's a lot of money and a huge credit to the fans.  But in a league where Forest Green can post losses of £2.5million in the face of such limited generated income, it just highlights the sheer scale of what we're up against.   The whole of what Operation Promotion raised amounts to an average player at FGR for a year.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
rancido
November 25, 2015, 10:44am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
The forthcoming FA Cup game against Shrewsbury could also generate much needed funds which could possibly help when the transfer window opens. If we win I have heard that it could be in excess of £100,000 including the tv income ( which I am reliably informed is about £76,000 for each club ). That would certainly help towards a good centre-mid if PH feels we need one. I know we fans feel the need to strengthen this are but it doesn't seem to concern PH which is a bit of a concern.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
Rodley Mariner
November 25, 2015, 12:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
We might have money to spend in January if the right player is available but if we have it'd be flipping stupid to announce it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
Hertsmariner
November 26, 2015, 9:20pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +695
The point is: the money raised by the Operation Promotion effort undoubtedly resulted in Bogle's signing but it had the added multiplying effect of increasing general enthusiasm for the club (partly via the publicity at a national level), an increase in season ticket sales, and an increase in overall attendance figures. Whether or not directly related to OP, the entertainment level has risen sharply which enhances the 'feel-good' factor among fans. However, perhaps fortune really does favour the brave and the FA Cup tie on the 7th December guarantees a further £72k of income from BT Sport, plus the 'carrot' of a further £27k should we win (and the prospect of another money-spinner in round 3). I would guess that it is a combination of factors (but not least OP) which has led PH and the board to allow further investment in key players, at least on short-term loans. Even so, should the 'feel good' factor spread to more fans who can afford to turn up and pay at the gate, the more revenues will be generated for further investment in the playing squad. I'd be quite happy to donate further if the Trust wished to begin a further fund-raising effort, but I think the answer really lies in further raising revenues at the gate (not forgetting the club shop etc). If we could raise attendances to 5000+, that would make a huge difference to the club's budget-but would still not guarantee promotion!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
DickBarton
November 26, 2015, 9:44pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: -355
Quoted from rancido
The forthcoming FA Cup game against Shrewsbury could also generate much needed funds which could possibly help when the transfer window opens. If we win I have heard that it could be in excess of £100,000 including the tv income ( which I am reliably informed is about £76,000 for each club ). That would certainly help towards a good centre-mid if PH feels we need one. I know we fans feel the need to strengthen this are but it doesn't seem to concern PH which is a bit of a concern.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
KingstonMariner
November 26, 2015, 10:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Hertsmariner
The point is: the money raised by the Operation Promotion effort undoubtedly resulted in Bogle's signing but it had the added multiplying effect of increasing general enthusiasm for the club (partly via the publicity at a national level), an increase in season ticket sales, and an increase in overall attendance figures. Whether or not directly related to OP, the entertainment level has risen sharply which enhances the 'feel-good' factor among fans. However, perhaps fortune really does favour the brave and the FA Cup tie on the 7th December guarantees a further £72k of income from BT Sport, plus the 'carrot' of a further £27k should we win (and the prospect of another money-spinner in round 3). I would guess that it is a combination of factors (but not least OP) which has led PH and the board to allow further investment in key players, at least on short-term loans. Even so, should the 'feel good' factor spread to more fans who can afford to turn up and pay at the gate, the more revenues will be generated for further investment in the playing squad. I'd be quite happy to donate further if the Trust wished to begin a further fund-raising effort, but I think the answer really lies in further raising revenues at the gate (not forgetting the club shop etc). If we could raise attendances to 5000+, that would make a huge difference to the club's budget-but would still not guarantee promotion!  

Spot on Herts. If we can keep the positivity going inside the stadium that makes the experience more enjoyable for everyone, and people are more likely to keep coming back. Gradually the numbers will rise.

Only managed 1 home game this season (thankfully the Christmas break is coming up  ) and that was the Tranmere game . It was great to see so many kids and families having a great time when the Ponny was literally bouncing. That is the best contribution we can make at this stage.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Operation Promotion

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.