3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
LondonMariner43
November 21, 2015, 8:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,948
Gold Stars: 64
Hasn't had much mention lately but wondering if two very good loan signings have been made possible by that extra budget?

I can't remember us having a squad of this quality at any time since relegation from the second tier.

A great squad needs money and a manager with an eye for talent who can persuade players to join his project and create a squad with a great togetherness and positive attitude.

Well done to the Trust, the Board, the fans, the manager and the players.  It's great to have a club united.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ClarkyGTFC
November 21, 2015, 9:05pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +411
Gold Stars: 5
The question is have we got enough to lure Townsend to stay with us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
November 21, 2015, 9:13pm
Guest User
Quoted from LondonMariner43

I can't remember us having a squad of this quality at any time since relegation from the second tier.

Agree with everything you said but especially this.
Reply: 2 - 25
grimsby pete
November 21, 2015, 9:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from ClarkyGTFC

We have as long as  a L1 side  do not want him.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
mariner91
November 21, 2015, 9:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,641
Gold Stars: 261
I think Conor would be silly to go elsewhere. He's a young lad at an important time of his career. He knows he's going to get played here, and that'll we win more than we lose. He also knows he'll often be the best player on the park. He's going to enjoy playing in a promotion battle and it's close to his hometown. He's also well liked by all the fans. Sign a six month contract, help get us promoted, have a great time whilst doing so and then earn yourself a nice move to a L1 club in the summer. Simple.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
LH
November 21, 2015, 9:24pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,504
Gold Stars: 173
Agree entirely. It's a great feeling having a club to be proud of again after some dark days in the last ten or so years.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
promotion plaice
November 21, 2015, 9:25pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from mariner91
I think Conor would be silly to go elsewhere. He's a young lad at an important time of his career. He knows he's going to get played here, and that'll we win more than we lose. He also knows he'll often be the best player on the park. He's going to enjoy playing in a promotion battle and it's close to his hometown. He's also well liked by all the fans. Sign a six month contract, help get us promoted, have a great time whilst doing so and then earn yourself a nice move to a L1 club in the summer. Simple.

Or even a L2 club with high promotion hopes again....

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
HertsGTFC
November 21, 2015, 10:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ClarkyGTFC

Would be happy if it as just to the end of this season and then who knows??

Like Jones too as he has a great attitude as well as a first touch that you don't often see at our level. Keep him and give him a run of games and he will get stronger and then catch fire.

With Young lads that age it's not that much about money I reckon they are just looking to play as much as possible and Conner would be the first name on my team sheet every week............Fingers crossed!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
barralad
November 21, 2015, 10:46pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
I think Connor is under contract at Hull until the summer?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
LondonMariner43
November 22, 2015, 7:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,948
Gold Stars: 64
Would be great to keep Jones too - he seems to have a great attitude - makes some great posts on Twitter - seems to be loving his time at Town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
northbankmariner
November 23, 2015, 12:07am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
I like everyone else would be delighted to see Conor stay with us till the end of the season. But a reality check would be needed if a league club came in for him,as his play merits. He is 23 now so not a youngster as such just looking to play regularly , he needs the stability if a longer contract, he has never had a look in at hull under Bruce, so he has to expect he will Finnish there next summer. And if town don't make promotion? Where would that leave him, out of contract with no guarentee of another club coming in and hardly any bargaining power if a contract was offered to him. Any 23 year old in football would snatch the hands of a chance of a promotion to a different club right now rather than let's see what happens aboard the grimsby promotion train. But hirst has knack of getting players here and playing for him so you never know. Would be great to keep him.

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
Davec
November 23, 2015, 8:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
In my opinion, providing we keep Townsend until end of the season,

if we get promoted we stand a very good chance of signing him on permanent.

If we don't get promoted, we have absolutely no chnace of signing him on permanent
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
arryarryarry
November 23, 2015, 3:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Would be great to keep Jones too - he seems to have a great attitude - makes some great posts on Twitter - seems to be loving his time at Town

I've been quite impressed by Jones and thought he played really well on Saturday although faded a bit before he was subbed. I wouldn't mind him staying longer than a month.

We really need to pull out all the stops to try and keep Townsend until the end of the season as he makes a great difference down our left side.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
grimsby pete
November 23, 2015, 8:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
If Hull are kind enough to pay Connor's contract up in January,

I bet he would sign a 2 / 3 year deal with us if one was offered.

That's if a league 1 side do not come in and sign him first.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
Abdul19
November 23, 2015, 8:38pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
I'd guess that any deal in January will be a loan.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
diehardmariner
November 24, 2015, 10:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,606
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from grimsby pete
If Hull are kind enough to pay Connor's contract up in January,

I bet he would sign a 2 / 3 year deal with us if one was offered.

That's if a league 1 side do not come in and sign him first.

Can't see that.  Wouldn't be surprised if Hull tear up his contract in January and we sign him until the end of the season but I would be amazed, yet delighted, if he put pen to paper on a long-term deal with this club - even if we were absolutely guaranteed promotion.  The lad likes it here, that much is clear to see.  But he quite rightly has his eyes much higher than the Conference and League Two.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
coxy
November 24, 2015, 12:44pm

The only way is UP !!
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +67
We're still lacking a few players for me, but why don't we start another war chest ready for January.... It would be ace if we could raise another £10.000 and this could surely be enough to bring in the 1-2 players we need to send us over the line???

Just a thought!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
MarinerRob
November 24, 2015, 8:42pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
I put money into Operation Promotion and I'm very to happy to - having supported Town since the 60's - but I have NO idea what the club have done with it. If it's been spent then that's fine but I don't think it too much to expect to be informed where it has gone..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
toontown
November 25, 2015, 7:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
This was explained at the time - the club won't say who exactly the money was spent on in order to avoid those individuals feeling extra pressure as being the ones bought/retained with op prom cash. This was made very clear at the time. Effectively the money went into the general budget that was therefore larger than would otherwise have been the case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
lukeo
November 25, 2015, 8:43am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
it's not been spent on any particular person.. like the above it was just put in on top of what we had already for players wages. Obviously some went toward Bogle and his fee + wage/contract.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
diehardmariner
November 25, 2015, 10:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,606
Gold Stars: 538
Bogle fee
Goalkeeping coach Warrington
General budget boost.

As absolutely unbelievable as the amount raised was, we've got to be realistic as to what it would bring in.  

Let us say that Bogle cost £25k (£25k extra upon promotion).  
Warrington £25k a year.

That's half of it gone straight away.

Look at the players we retained from last year, especially those we didn't think we would have had a chance of keeping.   More than anywhere else I'm looking at our three centre backs.  Toto, Pearson and Gowling could all have gone elsewhere, even at this level, for more money I'm sure of that.  These are players who were A) in demand and B) outstanding performers last season, you generally don't keep those guys on the same money they were previously bringing in.

If those three players each received a £200 a week increase, that's over £30k a year before any other contributions.  

Rather than spunking the money on a couple of signings, the club have spread this out.  In my opinion that's a much better method of doing this.  As said above, it's a lot of money and a huge credit to the fans.  But in a league where Forest Green can post losses of £2.5million in the face of such limited generated income, it just highlights the sheer scale of what we're up against.   The whole of what Operation Promotion raised amounts to an average player at FGR for a year.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
rancido
November 25, 2015, 10:44am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
The forthcoming FA Cup game against Shrewsbury could also generate much needed funds which could possibly help when the transfer window opens. If we win I have heard that it could be in excess of £100,000 including the tv income ( which I am reliably informed is about £76,000 for each club ). That would certainly help towards a good centre-mid if PH feels we need one. I know we fans feel the need to strengthen this are but it doesn't seem to concern PH which is a bit of a concern.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
Rodley Mariner
November 25, 2015, 12:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
We might have money to spend in January if the right player is available but if we have it'd be flipping stupid to announce it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
Hertsmariner
November 26, 2015, 9:20pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +695
The point is: the money raised by the Operation Promotion effort undoubtedly resulted in Bogle's signing but it had the added multiplying effect of increasing general enthusiasm for the club (partly via the publicity at a national level), an increase in season ticket sales, and an increase in overall attendance figures. Whether or not directly related to OP, the entertainment level has risen sharply which enhances the 'feel-good' factor among fans. However, perhaps fortune really does favour the brave and the FA Cup tie on the 7th December guarantees a further £72k of income from BT Sport, plus the 'carrot' of a further £27k should we win (and the prospect of another money-spinner in round 3). I would guess that it is a combination of factors (but not least OP) which has led PH and the board to allow further investment in key players, at least on short-term loans. Even so, should the 'feel good' factor spread to more fans who can afford to turn up and pay at the gate, the more revenues will be generated for further investment in the playing squad. I'd be quite happy to donate further if the Trust wished to begin a further fund-raising effort, but I think the answer really lies in further raising revenues at the gate (not forgetting the club shop etc). If we could raise attendances to 5000+, that would make a huge difference to the club's budget-but would still not guarantee promotion!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
DickBarton
November 26, 2015, 9:44pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: -355
Quoted from rancido
The forthcoming FA Cup game against Shrewsbury could also generate much needed funds which could possibly help when the transfer window opens. If we win I have heard that it could be in excess of £100,000 including the tv income ( which I am reliably informed is about £76,000 for each club ). That would certainly help towards a good centre-mid if PH feels we need one. I know we fans feel the need to strengthen this are but it doesn't seem to concern PH which is a bit of a concern.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
KingstonMariner
November 26, 2015, 10:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Hertsmariner
The point is: the money raised by the Operation Promotion effort undoubtedly resulted in Bogle's signing but it had the added multiplying effect of increasing general enthusiasm for the club (partly via the publicity at a national level), an increase in season ticket sales, and an increase in overall attendance figures. Whether or not directly related to OP, the entertainment level has risen sharply which enhances the 'feel-good' factor among fans. However, perhaps fortune really does favour the brave and the FA Cup tie on the 7th December guarantees a further £72k of income from BT Sport, plus the 'carrot' of a further £27k should we win (and the prospect of another money-spinner in round 3). I would guess that it is a combination of factors (but not least OP) which has led PH and the board to allow further investment in key players, at least on short-term loans. Even so, should the 'feel good' factor spread to more fans who can afford to turn up and pay at the gate, the more revenues will be generated for further investment in the playing squad. I'd be quite happy to donate further if the Trust wished to begin a further fund-raising effort, but I think the answer really lies in further raising revenues at the gate (not forgetting the club shop etc). If we could raise attendances to 5000+, that would make a huge difference to the club's budget-but would still not guarantee promotion!  

Spot on Herts. If we can keep the positivity going inside the stadium that makes the experience more enjoyable for everyone, and people are more likely to keep coming back. Gradually the numbers will rise.

Only managed 1 home game this season (thankfully the Christmas break is coming up  ) and that was the Tranmere game . It was great to see so many kids and families having a great time when the Ponny was literally bouncing. That is the best contribution we can make at this stage.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Operation Promotion

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.