Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I wonder who the mystery investor is?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 133 Guests

I wonder who the mystery investor is?

This thread currently has 30,853 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
nightrider
December 4, 2015, 5:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Is the position of Glanford Park really that bad? Other than not being close to pubs.
I do like the idea of a town centre stadium, St James Park as an example but we cant have that so surely anywhere in the will do

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 165
MuddyWaters
December 4, 2015, 7:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,255
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from barralad

A good post IMO but some aspects need challenging in the interest of furthering the debate.
Firstly you have to decide what "The community" actually is. It is unarguable that a site in Freeman St. or the "Top Town" area would be built in an area more densely populated but for a stadium to be built for the benefit of the WHOLE of the area covered by N.E. Lincs neither site comes close to being central to the area. Geographically Peakes Parkway is pretty close to being in the centre of N.E. Lincs. From the football clubs point of view they will have a pretty good idea of where their fan base is based informed by ticket sales and that information will have helped to inform the decision.
Secondly lets deal with the point about traffic congestion. It is quite frankly ludicrous to suggest that only the Peakes Parkway site will see traffic chaos. The majority of the people who use their cars to get to Blundell Park would continue to do so as people exercise their right to avoid public transport. Freeman St as a whole is served by no more bus services than Blundell Park. The difference with the two town centre sites is that the car traffic would be adding to already huge numbers of cars using the roads around the Town centre on the busiest shopping day of the week. The other aspect to consider is that with a Community Stadium providing other as yet unnamed facilities will see a general increase in traffic volumes. It is fair to say that with the size of crowds currently attending Blundell Park the congestion is not as serious as it might be. However I'm sure that all Town fans and the club want to see us far higher up the pyramid. What happens then? I shudder to think of the difficulties with large crowds on a fairly regular basis should we reach the Championship. These crowds would contain a large contingent of away fans adding to the road problems. In my mind it would be a lot easier to manage the traffic on ONE of the roads into town than attempt to alter the whole of the network in a very built up area.
The third point is regarding choosing the right spot or not moving at all. If you accept the view coming out of the club backed by continued figures showing substantial losses year on year that Blundell Park is unsustainable then not to move isn't an option if we are to continue to have a football club bailed out by one mans money. If outside investment could be attracted that position may well change.
In light of this it is also worth pointing out that any project to build on Freeman St. would take 10 years by the councjl's own estimate.
It should also be remembered that initially the Peakes Parkway site was offered to GTFC by the NELC Labour Party cabinet. All other action regarding feasibility has stemmed from that. Having said that it is true that the goalposts have been moved by the decision taken to knock down the Freeman St. flats.

Excellent stuff. Peakes Parkway will create no more traffic than any of the other sites, we have to move for the financial future of the club and the wait for Freemo might be too long. Yes, I get all the emotive stuff about re-developing the East Marsh but I just think we've wasted enough time already.
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 165
Cod Cheeks
December 4, 2015, 8:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
call me cynical because i am and being critical is often scorned upon but i remember some time ago being encouraged to put into buckets and queing for hours in Asda to buy an Ivano shirt to pay a ficticious holding company that held Bonnetti's registration a lot of money which allowed him to sign for us.
Turned out Ivano was part owner of the holding company and shortly after gaining the £100K, he disappeared from whence he came. Leaving us in a right mess.
I was just a boy - giving it all away
Ooh I know better know - sail away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 165
KingstonMariner
December 4, 2015, 11:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I'm not totally convinced a town centre site (or any location for that matter) will generate the town. Construction will create jobs temporarily (which is not to be sniffed at). Where new sports facilities create new business and jobs it tends to be in the immediate vicinity but there's a large element of displacement.

People only have so much money to spend, and unless it attracts more people to the area, you're just moving the spending from one part of town to another. Now a new ground with better facilities might attract more people to go to the match but that probably just means they won't spend that money on something else. That's good if they would otherwise spend the money on something that wouldn't benefit the local economy (Amazon, Sky/BT/Virgin, weekend in Bridlington) but I wouldn't overplay the benefits of redevelopment.

Having said that, Top Town for me is looking like the best prospect. Its right at the centre of public transport (all buses head there), it's closer to the A180 than PP. It's not far from the station. For all the hordes of away fans that will clog up the roads in the town centre if we make it back into the big time, we will have the same problem at PP with none of the public transport benefits. And none of the erm, social benefits, of Top Town pubs and eateries.

As someone pointed out to me today, a football ground is a cultural facility in the same way that a church (or I suppose museum) is. Would anyone suggest relocating Lincoln cathedral because it's difficult to drive to?

One final point, do we know what it would cost to construct a stadium with 14,000 capacity? I have the figure of £22m in my head but I don't know if that's come from any "official" source or just from gossip on here. And do we know how much that would cost to maintain compared to what Blundell Park costs? I keep hearing that BP is unsustainable, but how much is it?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 165
barralad
December 5, 2015, 9:09am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I'm not totally convinced a town centre site (or any location for that matter) will generate the town. Construction will create jobs temporarily (which is not to be sniffed at). Where new sports facilities create new business and jobs it tends to be in the immediate vicinity but there's a large element of displacement.

People only have so much money to spend, and unless it attracts more people to the area, you're just moving the spending from one part of town to another. Now a new ground with better facilities might attract more people to go to the match but that probably just means they won't spend that money on something else. That's good if they would otherwise spend the money on something that wouldn't benefit the local economy (Amazon, Sky/BT/Virgin, weekend in Bridlington) but I wouldn't overplay the benefits of redevelopment.

Having said that, Top Town for me is looking like the best prospect. Its right at the centre of public transport (all buses head there), it's closer to the A180 than PP. It's not far from the station. For all the hordes of away fans that will clog up the roads in the town centre if we make it back into the big time, we will have the same problem at PP with none of the public transport benefits. And none of the erm, social benefits, of Top Town pubs and eateries.

As someone pointed out to me today, a football ground is a cultural facility in the same way that a church (or I suppose museum) is. Would anyone suggest relocating Lincoln cathedral because it's difficult to drive to?

One final point, do we know what it would cost to construct a stadium with 14,000 capacity? I have the figure of £22m in my head but I don't know if that's come from any "official" source or just from gossip on here. And do we know how much that would cost to maintain compared to what Blundell Park costs? I keep hearing that BP is unsustainable, but how much is it?

Excellent points for me about the redistribution of spending. I can't agree about the potential for job creation. We don't know the  nature of the investment yet but if it is retail and we get some concrete plans there is plenty of evidence around the country that developments attract other retailers anxious for a slice of the pie. Pub and retail food companies are always looking for opportunities to sell a few more pints/pies. It's not my scene particularly but there is no doubt that it creates jobs.
As for relocating Lincoln cathedral (LMAO)....the example hardly mirrors the situation at B.P. When Lincoln cathedral starts to fall down people from all over the place throw money at the repairs. Once B.P.is recognised as a major site of worship the C of E might cough up. Until then we are reliant on St.  John..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 165
mariner2000
December 5, 2015, 10:06am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....18-detail/story.html

I think if you are to beleive and read the points raised by the shop owner above, and I have no reason to dispute, then I would argue this is exactly what everyone thinks freemo is like.#

I also cannot aee how squashing a football stadium in next to that is really going to make any difference.

As I have said before, are you really going to want to leave your car near there or take you kid with you or let your teenager risk going on their own, exactly what sort of shops, cafes etc would be interested in this amazing retail opportunity?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 125 - 165
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 5, 2015, 10:26am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mariner2000
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....18-detail/story.html

I think if you are to beleive and read the points raised by the shop owner above, and I have no reason to dispute, then I would argue this is exactly what everyone thinks freemo is like.#

I also cannot aee how squashing a football stadium in next to that is really going to make any difference.

As I have said before, are you really going to want to leave your car near there or take you kid with you or let your teenager risk going on their own, exactly what sort of shops, cafes etc would be interested in this amazing retail opportunity?

I'm not trying to push for the Freemo site at all but I think you are missing the point. The ground would not be surrounded by slums and druggies. Putting the ground there would be one small part of a total regeneration of the area by a developer and the council. Hence the 10 years.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 165
MuddyWaters
December 5, 2015, 11:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,255
Gold Stars: 236

I'm not trying to push for the Freemo site at all but I think you are missing the point. The ground would not be surrounded by slums and druggies. Putting the ground there would be one small part of a total regeneration of the area by a developer and the council. Hence the 10 years.

Have we got a spare 10 years?
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 165
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 5, 2015, 11:41am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Have we got a spare 10 years?

Maybe not. I'm just trying to make the situation a bit clearer. All the in-town choices have big long term problems, including the PW. Sad though it is and you and I may not like it, but there are people out there who think there's more important things in life than a new ground for GTFC and the decisions are in their hands not ours.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 165
Rob_in_Grimsby
December 5, 2015, 12:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Its ok saying 10 years time Freemo will be a good site, so if the council decide this then so be it BUT in 10 years time the council will have gone through at least 2 elections and Councilors and officers will have changed.
Who is to say they would not back track like they have done for the last 15 years.

Secondly all who say Garth Lane would be good site, there is minor issue is its not big enough to fit our current ground never mind a new one with more facilities.

If you super impose PB over Garth Lane on Google maps does not even early fit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 165
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I wonder who the mystery investor is?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.