5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
marinerjase
March 4, 2020, 11:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,679
Gold Stars: 147
Either way - at various points he’s going to be privy to information/conversations along the process - be it official or unofficial- from both sides of the fence.

I know some want the ground to happen and don’t care what it takes to get it - but if you look at the circumstances from outside in - JF’s position are going to be seen as an objectionable one, by those against ground, and used accordingly. It presents a hurdle that doesn’t need to be jumped.

Many will jump at any opportunity to stop/delay process - as seen before - so why assist??

*for the record I see this going on and on and on..be it because of funding, appeals, planning, whatever.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 45
KingstonMariner
March 4, 2020, 5:14pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

JF would be excluded from any Council discussions or decision making as regards a new football ground therefore there would be no conflict of interest. This principle applies to all levels of governance, both local and national.

Yes I know that. He said he was stepping back [partly] to avoid a conflict of interest - this is clearly ballcocks because stepping back from running the club makes no difference.

In effect he’d have to take a step back from some council duties.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 45
KingstonMariner
March 4, 2020, 5:18pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

He can be involved in discussions and decisions regarding the regeneration up to the point of the proposed ground. There are legal precedents and rules governing this. You might not understand this but it is a fact. In the same way, MPs who have business interests ie shareholdings, directorships etc, are not allowed to be on select committees, procurement processes etc have to declare their business interests and not be allowed in Government decision making. Say I had shares in one of the local wind energy firms then would that prevent me from being a NEL councillor?

No it wouldn’t. But the fact you don’t get involved in running the energy firm makes no difference to the conflict of interest issue in council. You’d still own those shares which is all it takes.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 45
rancido
March 4, 2020, 6:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Yes I know that. He said he was stepping back [partly] to avoid a conflict of interest - this is clearly ballcocks because stepping back from running the club makes no difference.

In effect he’d have to take a step back from some council duties.

Well just wait and see what happens.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 45
pen penfras
March 4, 2020, 6:32pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from arryarryarry

I've no idea but are there any community stadia in the Football League?

Stadia owned by councils that I can think of off the top of my head:
Hull
West Ham
Manchester City
Huddersfield
Brighton
Newcastle

and googling more:
Swansea
Wolves
Notts Forest
Ipswich
Barnsley
Swindon
Luton
Colchester
Leyton Orient
Crawley
Fleetwood

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 45
rancido
March 4, 2020, 7:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from KingstonMariner

No it wouldn’t. But the fact you don’t get involved in running the energy firm makes no difference to the conflict of interest issue in council. You’d still own those shares which is all it takes.

Does that mean that MP's cannot  own shares or be directors/stakeholders in any companies because it could be a conflict of interest.?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › new stadium funding

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.