Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Football Suspended until at least 4th April
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

Football Suspended until at least 4th April

This thread currently has 12,936 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
March 13, 2020, 11:44am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,081
Gold Stars: 199
Quoted from oochiad
They have to close the schools, it’s the only way to slow it down.

Right or wrong but the Government's slant on this at the moment is that a lot of children would then have to be looked after by their grandparents which would put the grandparents at more risk.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 85
GrimRob
March 13, 2020, 11:49am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,428
Gold Stars: 113
Good decision. Schools next.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 85
TownSNAFU5
March 13, 2020, 11:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,886
Gold Stars: 42
Said on the BBC new this morning that If/when schools shut, then this could be for up to 4 months. To cover the expected peak (and presumably the reduction in cases).

I cannot see matches being rescheduled then, even with the best of intentions now.  If they were played in the summer then this would impact on next season.

Just write-off this season and relegate Stevenage.  Put them out of the heir misery.

Leeds have waited 16 years to get back into the Prem.  another year (at least) won’t make any difference! 😁😁

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 85
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 13, 2020, 11:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,282
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Chazzer
I've never seen this happen, even with the SARS virus back in 2002 and the Foot n Mouth outbreaks. This is radical. The schools will have to close also.

You may never have seen it but it happened during the war. Football was suspended from about 1940 to the 45/46 season I think (I could be wrong about the dates).

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 85
Maringer
March 13, 2020, 11:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,565
Gold Stars: 185
Rather than try to shut it down completely then have recurrences, they plan to stretch it out so that the peak of cases come in the summer months when there will be less flu and so forth to cope with at the same time:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51865915

Might also give them more of a chance to obtain more oxygen gear for those most adversely affected.

Seems a bit of a gamble to me and I'm not sure it is one which will work, unless they discover that one of the pre-existing retroviral drugs can help.

With the Easter holidays just a couple of weeks away, it would surely make more sense to shut the schools down now and effectively have 4 weeks off/in isolation? Try and stop it dead now then deal with any other outbreaks in the same way as countries such as Singapore/Hong Kong/Taiwan.

Ultimately, we're going to be living under a cloud for many months yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 85
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 13, 2020, 11:54am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,282
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from dicko995
It says "all ELITE football matches postponed"... so I guess Scunthorpe game still on

A low blow, but funny  

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 85
Maringer
March 13, 2020, 11:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,565
Gold Stars: 185
Can't say that I see any chance of the season finishing, incidentally.

I'm sure the wrangling about promotion/relegation will begin very soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 85
golfer
March 13, 2020, 12:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,445
Gold Stars: 116
If the season is curtailed will we get a refund from the BBC as they will save over a million quid from Linneker and Shearer's wages. Methinks they will still get paid    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 85
Grimbiggs
March 13, 2020, 12:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Sensible option really, ignorance and arrogance has got the UK in this mess, and now we're playing catch up!...... very unlikely that the season will be restarted before June. Do we just refinish the season off in July/ August, have a month off, and begin a new season in October, with Saturday and midweek games to catch up, and abandon all these other mickey mouse cup games?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 85
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 13, 2020, 12:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from promotion plaice

Right or wrong but the Government's slant on this at the moment is that a lot of children would then have to be looked after by their grandparents which would put the grandparents at more risk.

The Easter hols are due to start in early April so I’d guess they would try to get as close to that as they can. Like you say, somebody has to look after the kids.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Football Suspended until at least 4th April

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.