5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
MarshMariner
September 9, 2020, 10:52am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 2
As a club I think we are pretty well stocked for central defenders, it is perhaps our strongest position in the Team..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 46
pen penfras
September 9, 2020, 11:07am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from MarshMariner
As a club I think we are pretty well stocked for central defenders, it is perhaps our strongest position in the Team..

Depends if Pollock stays or not. Waterfall, Ohman and Mohsni, who is unfit and can't train seems a bit light to me. Idehen looks good, but playing 2 games a week is going to be hard when injuries and suspensions kick in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 46
diehardmariner
September 9, 2020, 12:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Easy to think we're overstocked.  But then the reality is that we're probably not really.

Pollock is still effectively a first year pro.  As good and as impressive as he is, he's still learning.  Personally I think he's our best centre-back, age is irrelevant when it comes to selection.  But there may be a point when he needs to be rested and managed, especially if he is one of our first choice options.  I think we may have to accept the potential that Pollock could be snapped up at any point too, the summer transfer window itself doesn't close for another month or so.  

Equally so Idehen is a first year pro and will undoubtedly need managing when it comes to game time.

Mohsni is clearly struggling with injuries which is a concern, as is his previous disciplinary record.  

Waterfall is someone Holloway likes as a leader so I think he'll be first choice, along with Pollock.  That I'm aware of there are no real previous issues with injuries or suspensions.

Ohman has both injuries and suspensions against his record since arriving here.  I also have a feeling that Holloway isn't overly keen on him.  Personally I don't think he's reached the standards of when he first arrived here but still a decent player in there.  In an interview the other day about future signings, Holloway suggested that other things would have to happen to get someone else in.  I took that as having to free up some wages, of which I imagine Ohman is in the higher bracket.

That 5 could easily become 4 if Pollock goes.  Two of those 5 have poor records when it comes to either injury or suspension.  Which leaves us down to Waterfall and Idehen.  Last night we tried a back 3, a system I fully expect we'll utilise a lot more this season.  Of course that adds Hewitt and potentially Hendrie to the options but it's still hardly options galore.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 46
jamesgtfc
September 9, 2020, 1:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Mohsni is also seen as a player that can play up front too. If Hanson is injured a lot this season and Mohsni is fit, that potentially leaves us a defender short too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 46
Madeleymariner
September 9, 2020, 4:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 50
But last night we didnt have a big man up front but still scored 2 goals, just because Hanson is injured does not mean we need a big player up front as long as you play passing football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 46
diehardmariner
September 10, 2020, 11:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
And that's the danger of having a big man up top.  Almost by default you revert to type and end up hitting it long.

I like Hanson and happen to think he's far, far better than just a big man up front who can head it.  But we should (and in honesty need to) have options that don't include working exclusively off him.  Jolley made that mistake last season and when Hanson started to struggle with fitness/injuries and teams figured out it was the only way we could play, we had no threat at all.

This season we definitely look to have options in the side to create from other avenues.  
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 46
MarshMariner
September 10, 2020, 11:45am
Beer Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

Depends if Pollock stays or not. Waterfall, Ohman and Mohsni, who is unfit and can't train seems a bit light to me. Idehen looks good, but playing 2 games a week is going to be hard when injuries and suspensions kick in.

How many central defenders do you believe we need?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 46
ginnywings
September 10, 2020, 11:55am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
How many can we afford is a more pertinent question. Unless we get a loanee from a higher division that costs nowt, can we afford to have more centre backs?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 46
MarshMariner
September 10, 2020, 1:00pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
How many can we afford is a more pertinent question. Unless we get a loanee from a higher division that costs nowt, can we afford to have more centre backs?

Agree, that was my next point...   We are a second division club... I wish we had this amount of depth throughout the squad...  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 46
Hagrid
September 10, 2020, 2:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,487
Gold Stars: 536
Holloways interview just said How can he leave Ludvig out after tuesday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Öhman

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.