5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
December 15, 2020, 11:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Since he bought in the last crop of under-performing players, the Club, performances, results and his judgement have all deteriorated to unacceptable levels. Mostly down to Ollie.

Would you trust our league status on him getting good players in?  Are you sure?  History is against him.  We are in the last chance saloon? Everything is going south.

We need new leadership, new ideas and getting square pegs in square holes.  Building confidence and winning matches. These changes need to happen now - before we are in terminal decline.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 48
arryarryarry
December 16, 2020, 12:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Ashby mariner
My opinion may not be everyone's cup of tea but I don't see the point in being rash. I would imagine he's already got more experienced layers lined up for January and I would say a few of these will be shown the door. The budget he his working with is probably on par with our league position. I woukd say alot if these players where probably the bottom of his target list. He showed what players he could attract last season like Benson, Glennon ect if he's given the funds to do so. Also he's managing 30 plus players with 1 inexperienced coach if he had a assistant it would help him no end. I bet he his use to having various coaches to work with.

I remember some saying that in 2010 when we were heading to the bottom of the league with Neil Woods. He can only be given so long before results improve or he has to go.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 48
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 16, 2020, 1:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
Left with an impossible situation where (were we the only club?)  the COVID clause was put into contracts. That, am sorry if it rattles cages, is where he was left without any choice but to take a huge gamble on the players coming in.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 48
aldi_01
December 16, 2020, 6:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
It’s the constant excuse making that’s driven me to despair with him.

I don’t expect a manager to come out and just say his team are excrement but Christ, Holloway just blames everything else, the Covid excuse was being the first week of the season. Literally every club has been affected by it...just because our club decided against a normal approach to signing players, furloughed people later and returned to training later (what was the reason for this) doesn’t give us an excuse to justify how awful we are.

I’m not convinced under normal circumstances or with a slightly more forward thinking board we’d have signed some of this dross but he has and we’re stuck with it.

If Holloway hadn’t had a good third of his managerial being successful he’d have been hounded out by now. Reputation should only take him so far. He has to take some responsibility, even though the clubs mantra seems to be accept no responsibility or accountability. It’s always everything else’s fault.

Should he go? Who the intercourse knows? Who do you bring in? Could they do anything with this shower?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 48
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
December 16, 2020, 9:38am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +881
Gold Stars: 122
Quoted from arryarryarry

Three points from that, didn't he say before the season started that his phone was red hot because of all the players that wanted to come play for him.?

Secondly, I thought we were near the budget limit?

Erm........he had an assistant but the club got rid.

1. Yes he did but unless Ollie is a hypnotist and has the ability to control the mind, which good or experienced players in their right mind would take a 25+% pay cut for the privelage of playing for us, when other clubs are offering a full wage. Ollie may be an experienced Manager but he is not a miracle worker.

2. It seems the goal posts are moving constantly depending on which interview you listen to.

3. Yes we eventually got rid of AL because the club didn't want to pay him his full wage after his refusal to take the 25% pay cut after furlough ended.

Its all down to the Board being a bunch of Ebeneezers and only giving Ollie one small piece of coal to work with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 48
chicaneuk
December 16, 2020, 9:47am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
Ollie was let down badly in the summer.
All his best players, Vernham, Hess,  Whitehouse were allowed to leave.
The board put covid clauses in the contracts putting off better players, Theo Robinson for example.
He wasn't allowed to sign players until we had a start date, by which time thecream had gone.  He had to get a lot of players in to cope with the tough set of fixtures, so he ought cheap hoping  to find a gem or two among his rough diamonds.
He lost his am not replaced
His senior strikers have been constantly injured
Confidence is shot.
Give him full support in the window.  With all that is happening in the boardroom we won't  have time to recruit  anew boss in time to make full benefit of the window.
Holloway in.. Board out

A bit of common sense. Despite screaming with frustration on the inside and wanting something to change, we won't do better than Holloway at this level especially given our current position... so should be given a chance to put it right.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 48
pontoonlew
December 16, 2020, 9:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
I really don't know which side of the fence I'm on with this.

On the one hand, Holloway was badly let down by the board (as were all who went before him) with their ridiculous approach to Covid. They took Covid as an opportunity to be as tight as possible and it's (predictably) come back to bite us on the bottom, he lost his best players because of this and I'm convinced that had Day not copulated up the retention of those players we'd be way further up the league than we are now.

However the bit that concerns me is that we're getting worse with the same players. After Cheltenham and Orient I was absolutely sure we were going to be in and around the play-offs. Windsor and Edwards were on absolute fire and we looked liked a young, hungry and fit side. Since that point we're been completely and utterly dog excrement and the only thing that has changed is that Holloway has had more time with them. Southends second yesterday summed it up for me, a player lurked on the edge of the box for ages whilst we stood and watched him. We've done that so many times this season, that's not just players being thick, it's players having absolutely no guidance as to what to do in that situation which boils right down to Holloway.

I'm willing to give him January, I think it's our only choice and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't get the window he wanted but my god we've got some catching up to do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 48
Croxton
December 16, 2020, 10:14am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 34
Olly says he takes responsibility for his mistakes but is it fair for him to take the flak for the Covid clause, loss of players from last season, furlough of AL, lack of preseason and friendlies? He was pitched into a situation for which his previous experience counted little. Unfortunately, his ego/pride and adherence to tried and trusted training methods have not gone down well.
The brutal significance of Halford's goal and play acting to get Waterfall sent off after training with the town squad was a knife to the heart for Holloway. Has he got what it takes now to manage the trimming of his squad and recruitment of hardened L2 players? What if they don't want to do the shuttle runs to prove their worth?
I really want him to stay and turn the club round but he has to engage with his coaching staff and review his recruitment, training and preparation methods.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 48
grimsby pete
December 16, 2020, 10:23am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
I am afraid I am in the same boat as Ollie.

I am very confused and have no idea how we are going to get out of this mess.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 48
Madeleymariner
December 16, 2020, 10:28am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from grimsby pete
I am afraid I am in the same boat as Ollie.

I am very confused and have no idea how we are going to get out of this mess.

Thats an age thing Pete  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Holloway needs to be given more time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.