TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 16, 2020, 1:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Ipswin

He is the perfect fit then, if his managerial capabilities matched his eccentricities we'd be top of the table

The way this club operates makes Ollie seem like Buddha

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 48
oochiad
December 16, 2020, 1:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Ollie stays and the board goes, then we might have a chance but it’ll never happen......we’re doomed with this constant penny pinching.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 48
Withnail
December 16, 2020, 1:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
[quote=657]If I were Ollie I would be off down the motorway to somewhere sane. This club is as mad as a box of frogs. I would agree Ollie has made mistakes but nothing compared to the way the club has just floundered in the last 12 months. Go with good wishes Ollie, go to a town that hasn’t got its head up its bum.

As the song says “No Direction Home.”

Unfortunately I think there is an element of truth in this.  In my 40+ years of following Town, there has only been one league manager who can truly be described as having long-term success at the club. Buckley.

In. Four. Decades. That's not normal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 48
oochiad
December 16, 2020, 1:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
I mean if we change manager they’ll be given peanuts to work with, what’s the point? And then when we do find some decent players we lose them for one reason or another but always the boards fault. It really is looking like a pointless situation with this board as we’ll never move forward. I still think that Ollie should stay though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 48
earwigo
December 16, 2020, 1:28pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +101
I think he should stay. It’s like he’s trying to build a wall using a dinner knife as a trowel. The real problem is the cost cutting at top. Getting rid of the free loaders would be a great start. Don’t ask me how that is achieved I don’t know. Would a new manager be any better. Some say ( this man or that man)  he’d be ok until we lost 3 or 4 games then we’d hear sack the manager. And then repeat
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 48
Ipswin
December 16, 2020, 1:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from earwigo
Would a new manager be any better. Some say ( this man or that man)  he’d be ok until we lost 3 or 4 games then we’d hear sack the manager. And then repeat

Sadly that's the way football works (or rather in most cases doesn't work - ask Slavan Bilic)

Having a crazy disposition, a silly cap and equally strange accent combined with a tactical plan that none of the league's biggest squad can understand, the failings of which are covered up by a shortlist of overused excuses and some mad dream about 'a legacy' is not normally sufficient to make any manager immune from the sack

Only at Grimsby Town

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 48
December 16, 2020, 1:44pm
Guest User
Ollie needs (as i believe others have mentioned)  a  proper qualified assistant, hes taking on too much on himself.. Ollie wants us to succeed and like us hes hurting as you can hear in his interviews. The off field situation is unsettling all connected with GTFC. Give him a chance to get it right  now and in January.
Reply: 36 - 48
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 16, 2020, 1:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 4055
Ollie needs (as i believe others have mentioned)  a  proper qualified assistant, hes taking on too much on himself.. Ollie wants us to succeed and like us hes hurting as you can hear in his interviews. The off field situation is unsettling all connected with GTFC. Give him a chance to get it right  now and in January.

Yes, we know that and I agree with you, in a parallel universe with a proper professional club board and funding. But he's here and here is now and he's on a hiding to nowt. so I sat if I was him I'd cut my losses, sod the club, go home and enjoy your bubble for Christmas.

To be honest the rest of us might as well follow suit and leave the club to fall apart by itself, or it is going to be a bloody miserable Christmas for us all.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 48
KingstonMariner
December 16, 2020, 1:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
No. As that research showed that someone posted a link to the other week, it’s stability that brings success in a team. Changing the manager makes relatively little difference.

Since getting back in the League we’ve had: Hurst, Bignot, Slade and now Holloway, not including caretakers. 1 a year. Each time with the same result.

Deckchairs and Titanic spring to mind. Who’s fault is it we crashed into the iceberg in the first place? Are we going to do it again?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 48
heppy88
December 16, 2020, 1:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Bradford Mariner

I found this article about Holloway which I thought was interesting.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1823597-ian-holloway-possibly-the-most-overrated-manager-in

Thanks for the link Bradford, I would urge anyone who has not yet read it to do so.
Apart from Hurst, Fenty appears to have a weakness for Mavericks and in many ways bu!!shi!ers - Slade (twice), Bignot and unfortunately now Holloway. Lots of talk but very little substance. I believe Holloway needs a knowledgeable coaching team to make things happen. For this level Limberick could have been this man, the treatment of which was an utter disgrace. People hark back to the performances last season, but again I believe A. L was the catalyst for this. Regardless of who owns the club and if there is no additional coaching staff then, barring other teams going into administration, we will certainly be going down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Holloway needs to be given more time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.