TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 30, 2020, 1:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Poojah

Just a few examples I could find footage of. You can make the argument that it was at a lower level against sides a club like ours should be expected to beat, but it’s all relative isn’t it?

In the interest of balance, there were also games that were turgid and frustrating to watch, but that was often due to the approach of the opposition as much as that of Paul Hurst. Either way, the argument that performances under Hurst were consistently unentertaining is plain wrong, as evidenced above.

I don’t think the argument is so much about entertainment as about points dropped through tactical ineptness, poor substitutions and team selections that often seemed the result of fear of losing. Seemed to me significant that similar criticisms were made by Shrews fans.

But needs must when the devil drives. I would accept Hurst and some dour 1-0 and 0-0 games this season if that is what it takes to survive. It is next season when we can judge the manager properly. Surprising how often that second season disappoints.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 49
forza ivano
December 30, 2020, 5:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
i'd split it into onfield activities (which has been covered already) and off field

my guesses are

a)they'll be at arms lengths owners
b)a CEO with previous football/sports background (a mini Christian Parslow) will be one of their first appointments
c) a 21st century Alec King as Commercial/Marketing manager
d) wonder if there might be a director of football (looking after the youth set up, the training facilities etc.) plus liaising with Hurst
e) think they'll send in a team of their people to do an 'audit' of what's going on and how things are done
f) i've heard that some old investors are willing to re invest and that some new faces will be joining in as well
g) there will be an almost new board of directors within 6 months
h) hope there will be some sort of rebrand as has been suggested
i) the whole operation will become much more efficient fairly quickly
j) 'presentation' in all its aspects will become more professional, slicker

and then there's the ticketing, the merchandising, the ground, the catering etc etc etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
denni266
December 30, 2020, 5:40pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +699
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from aldi_01

Wins...

After the last shite served up by an alleged proven manager wins are all most of us care about...especially right now.

I would take the wins any day
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
lew chaterleys lover
December 30, 2020, 5:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from forza ivano
i'd split it into onfield activities (which has been covered already) and off field

my guesses are

a)they'll be at arms lengths owners
b)a CEO with previous football/sports background (a mini Christian Parslow) will be one of their first appointments
c) a 21st century Alec King as Commercial/Marketing manager
d) wonder if there might be a director of football (looking after the youth set up, the training facilities etc.) plus liaising with Hurst
e) think they'll send in a team of their people to do an 'audit' of what's going on and how things are done
f) i've heard that some old investors are willing to re invest and that some new faces will be joining in as well
g) there will be an almost new board of directors within 6 months
h) hope there will be some sort of rebrand as has been suggested
i) the whole operation will become much more efficient fairly quickly
j) 'presentation' in all its aspects will become more professional, slicker

and then there's the ticketing, the merchandising, the ground, the catering etc etc etc

Shouldn't we be keeping this under wraps in case Fenty backs out?  

I am sure they will operate very differently from what we are used to, but a lot will depend on the time frame they have in mind for the new stadium, as to whether any quick improvements will be made for example to BP.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 49
oochiad
December 30, 2020, 5:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Playoffs😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
RonMariner
December 30, 2020, 6:00pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,843
Gold Stars: 227
From being nailed on certainties for the drop if Holloway and Fenty had carried on, we now have a chance of staying up. But it by no means a given.

Hurst is a solid manager. He is capable of putting together a well disciplined, well organised, and fit team that can grind out results. But has he got the time and funds to do it?

Our current squad is not up to the task. Some lack effort. Some lack quality. Some lack experience. and some lack all of the above.  It is hard to see how anyone could mold this lot in to an effective and consistent unit.

The likes of Wright, Hendrie, Pollock, Hewitt, Moralis, and Waterfall can do a job at this level, but I think we need six new players. At the very least two strong midfield players and two threatening forwards.

But these guys will take some persuading to join us, and will not come cheap. We will have to actually buy players for once, rather than sign up freebies. We will also have to offload several players to make room in the capped playing budget. That too will be expensive.

So there is a huge amount of work to do, and Hurst will have to quickly evaluate the entire squad in order to make decisions on who to keep, who not to, and where to strengthen. Then he has to find the right players to bring in, negotiate deals with them and their clubs, and sign them up.

That is a tall order for the January window. Oh, and also manage half a dozen games too. We should not underestimate the size of the task. Relegation is still a real possibility.

So I think it will be quite an achievement to pull it off. But even if we do go down, I have much more confidence in our ability to bounce back under a new regime.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
ginnywings
December 30, 2020, 8:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from RonMariner
From being nailed on certainties for the drop if Holloway and Fenty had carried on, we now have a chance of staying up. But it by no means a given.

Hurst is a solid manager. He is capable of putting together a well disciplined, well organised, and fit team that can grind out results. But has he got the time and funds to do it?

Our current squad is not up to the task. Some lack effort. Some lack quality. Some lack experience. and some lack all of the above.  It is hard to see how anyone could mold this lot in to an effective and consistent unit.

The likes of Wright, Hendrie, Pollock, Hewitt, Moralis, and Waterfall can do a job at this level, but I think we need six new players. At the very least two strong midfield players and two threatening forwards.

But these guys will take some persuading to join us, and will not come cheap. We will have to actually buy players for once, rather than sign up freebies. We will also have to offload several players to make room in the capped playing budget. That too will be expensive.

So there is a huge amount of work to do, and Hurst will have to quickly evaluate the entire squad in order to make decisions on who to keep, who not to, and where to strengthen. Then he has to find the right players to bring in, negotiate deals with them and their clubs, and sign them up.

That is a tall order for the January window. Oh, and also manage half a dozen games too. We should not underestimate the size of the task. Relegation is still a real possibility.

So I think it will be quite an achievement to pull it off. But even if we do go down, I have much more confidence in our ability to bounce back under a new regime.  

I think you're overplaying the relegation scenario a bit. It's not as if we are cut adrift at the bottom and need a few wins just to get to 22nd place. There is loads of the season left and plenty of sides in mid table that are eminently beatable if we can get in a couple of decent strikers. Two or three wins would see us go up the table fairly quickly, and remarkably, there is only 11 points to the play off spots.

Oldham were no better than us and they have the best away record in the league. If we are still in this position in another dozen games, then yeah, I'll start to get concerned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 49
lee65
December 30, 2020, 8:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from ginnywings

I think you're overplaying the relegation scenario a bit. It's not as if we are cut adrift at the bottom and need a few wins just to get to 22nd place. There is loads of the season left and plenty of sides in mid table that are eminently beatable if we can get in a couple of decent strikers. Two or three wins would see us go up the table fairly quickly, and remarkably, there is only 11 points to the play off spots.

Oldham were no better than us and they have the best away record in the league. If we are still in this position in another dozen games, then yeah, I'll start to get concerned.

I’m with you Ginny, only 5 points between 16th and us in 22nd, and if you look at form over the last few games there are a number of Teams with a record similar to ours  , I think a modest improvement will see us in much safer territory
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
Garth
December 30, 2020, 9:44pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
After the Oldham game it would not take a genius to work out where our weaknesses are, in fact PH in his interview did as much.
I'm sure he already has ideas and plans now, and we can expect Morey to give sound, fair and sensible opinions when asked
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
Grantham_Mariner
December 30, 2020, 9:53pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
I will take 4pts above relegation places for rest of season. Then next season...........................

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Expectation

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.