9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
quebec38
January 4, 2021, 2:27pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Definitely fair to say he hasn’t had his best time at Grimsby. People knocking his goal record need to take in to account a lot of his appearances have been on the wing though. Neither do we play to his strengths and his confidence must be in the toilet right now.

Absolutely no time for tagging players on Twitter though and calling them rubbish, or worse. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and it would be more than acceptable to say his signing hasn’t worked out, but if you abuse your own players you need to take a look at yourself.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 80
Boris Johnson
January 4, 2021, 2:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from quebec38
Definitely fair to say he hasn’t had his best time at Grimsby. People knocking his goal record need to take in to account a lot of his appearances have been on the wing though. Neither do we play to his strengths and his confidence must be in the toilet right now.

Absolutely no time for tagging players on Twitter though and calling them rubbish, or worse. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and it would be more than acceptable to say his signing hasn’t worked out, but if you abuse your own players you need to take a look at yourself.

I think if you pay for the right to watch, then its fair game.  They are the first bunch to go on Twitter after a good result looking for attention, they should be prepared for criticism, abuse no.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 80
Tommy
January 4, 2021, 4:14pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Not seen any personal abuse sent to him (which obviously I wouldn't condone), but he's awful and the longer he is in the Town team the longer we'll struggle IMO.

I know he's not solely to blame or anything like that. But I'm struggling to think of a less effective striker we've had in recent years. I feel sorry for him because he was obviously a decent conference/L2 striker at one point, but right now he's as bad a striker as I can remember us having.

People can say the service is poor, which no doubt it is, but it's the same for other strikers, and Gibson puts himself about and gets himself far more involved in the game.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 80
LocalLadGTFC
January 4, 2021, 4:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 140
I like Matt Green as a person and every time i've spoke to him he's been a great laugh and a good character but some of the things i'm reading here is laughable. The bloke isn't up to it anymore, that's all it is.. his legs have gone and it's time he moved on. He's been here a 18 months and has scored 6 goals, time to move on Matt and thankyou for your service. No debate around it, he isn't a league quality striker anymore and the fact I'm seeing people trying to say he isn't a target man, he's played on the wing etc etc is balderdash. He's just not good enough anymore.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 80
Cayman_mariner
January 5, 2021, 1:30am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Tommy
Not seen any personal abuse sent to him (which obviously I wouldn't condone), but he's awful and the longer he is in the Town team the longer we'll struggle IMO.

I know he's not solely to blame or anything like that. But I'm struggling to think of a less effective striker we've had in recent years. I feel sorry for him because he was obviously a decent conference/L2 striker at one point, but right now he's as bad a striker as I can remember us having.

People can say the service is poor, which no doubt it is, but it's the same for other strikers, and Gibson puts himself about and gets himself far more involved in the game.

Ben Tomlinson? Though I can wholly understand why you'd have tried to erase him from your mind Tommy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 80
Gainsbro_Mariner
January 5, 2021, 7:12am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,459
Gold Stars: 15
Got to echo the sentiments already put forward, I've met him once and you can tell he is a nice bloke but unfortunately being a nice guy doesn't score you goals or makes you play well. I was delighted when we signed him, he was excellent at Mansfield and his spell at Lincoln saw him praised to the point that several of my Imp supporting buddies were a little triggered when he joined us. So for me I thought it was an extremely shrewd signing by Jolley and it certainly looked that way for a short time.

Like stated he has regressed and he isn't the player he was, there is absolutely no shame in that from his own perspective, but his inclusion in match day squads has kinda made him a target for people wanting someone to blame, although it's fair to say he hasn't done much to fend off any criticism by constantly being one of the worst performers on the field. Personally I would rather play Jackson or Gibson as at least they offer legs, endeavour and a better eye for goal.

We've had many strikers here over the years who just haven't cut the mustard or been as potent as expected in front of goal as much as they had previously.. Michael Jeffrey, Iffy Onuora, Isaiah Rankin (Second spell), Damian Spencer, Greg Pearson, Richard Brodie etc. but probably the last under performing forward to get so much consistent game time was Adam Proudlock, and we all know how that season ended.

It's fair to say Matt is in his last season for us and likely the Football League, it's just whether or not PH feels he can move or wants to move him on this month or in the summer. I can't think for the world of me Hurst can be impressed with the way he has played this season and with him being one of the higher earners its plausible to get him off the wage bill sooner rather than later certainly where most fans are concerned.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 80
toontown
January 5, 2021, 9:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Cayman_mariner

Ben Tomlinson? Though I can wholly understand why you'd have tried to erase him from your mind Tommy

Haha - I thought the exact same thing!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 80
Grimal
January 5, 2021, 9:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
He’s a player that has relied on his pace, that’s now gone and he has very little else in the locker.
A bit like good looking blokes not having to learn how to chat up!
[/b]When they’re old and bald , they’re stuffed[b]!
He makes himself available every week for the team

Oi, speak for yourself 😂🤣😉

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 80
Rick12
January 5, 2021, 10:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from quebec38

Yes

A lot of these players are quite young as well and living in rented accommodation away from their families. At this level due to the uncertainty and low wages relatively speaking in football it must be hard. If you haven't got a strong mindset or good community many will suffer.

Football is a very tough profession and we as fans should help not outright criticise the players. Constructive criticism though is different and warranted.

Key is as long as players are trying that's all that can be asked.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 80
Boris Johnson
January 5, 2021, 10:38am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Tommy

Gibson is just as excrement
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › It's time to lay off Matt Green

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.