ginnywings
January 10, 2021, 3:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 123614

But that's hardly his fault!  For most of the time he's been playing as a lone striker.  I don't know what his best role is, maybe playing as a lone striker is not his forte, but at least he tries.

Not saying it's his fault. I'm saying he has been picked by 3 managers because we have no one else, apart from three totally inexperienced lads learning their trade at this level.

If Hanson is fit and/or we sign a striker this week, I doubt he will be starting on Saturday.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 80
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 10, 2021, 3:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from 123614

You are joking right?  THREE Football managers pick him constantly, but you think that anonymous people on this board know better than them!  Oh, and because ONE man stays in the team, he will cause us to go down, what about the other 10?   FFS read your post before you put this kind of rubbish on here, don't care if it's your opinion or not, it's a rubbish post that would seem to have been written by a school kid, not saying that you are, but the post makes it look like you are.

Been watching town for over 55 years and I have every right to disagree with football managers on this forum. Simple fact is Holloway hardly picked Green, only sensible thing he did, and my point is that with Green up front we will simply not score sufficient goals to stay up no matter how good the other ten are.

You may think it’s rubbish but I couldn’t give two hoots what you think and stick by my statement if Green stays in the team we go down.

Praying that’s not the case but ....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 80
DB
January 10, 2021, 5:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Stats for Green played 18, shoots 18, goals 2. Not a striker, top scorer is a CB

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 80
arryarryarry
January 10, 2021, 5:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Been watching town for over 55 years and I have every right to disagree with football managers on this forum. Simple fact is Holloway hardly picked Green, only sensible thing he did, and my point is that with Green up front we will simply not score sufficient goals to stay up no matter how good the other ten are.

You may think it’s rubbish but I couldn’t give two hoots what you think and stick by my statement if Green stays in the team we go down.

Praying that’s not the case but ....

I think if the majority of this shower stay in the team we will go down.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 80
fishcake63
January 10, 2021, 6:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
poor from people on here the service to him is non existant , i'v seen players in black & white try a lot less than green does FACT, tell me how many chances he missed in last 3 games ? i'll tell you one chance we create nothing , kane would struggle in our side ok don't all laugh at once but my point he not a target man , he likes to play off big man i genuinly feel for him it must hurt him like it does us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 80
Tommy
January 10, 2021, 6:57pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Whilst I agree that at times you can blame poor service, it isn't always the answer.

For instance,  against Cambridge, someone slipped a ball into him just inside the box, central to goal, but he was too slow to react and/or wasn't aware a defender would be covering round, and he failed to get a shot away. When in reality, it should have been a great chance to score. So by the stats, he didn't miss the chance, but it was because he was so poor he turned it from a chance, to nothing.

Sometimes its hard to criticise good strikers when the service is poor. Other times, the striker himself can just have a lack of good movement, lack of sharpness, lack of anticipation in the box, lack of ability to retain the ball in the opposition half to actually enable us to spend more time in the opposition half.

I realise the service hasn't been great for a lot of this season, but part of it is down to the strikers themselves. Particularly, in my opinion, with Green, who doesn't offer an outlet, gets beaten to his second touch by the defender and doesn't give us any movement in the final third.

I know they have their critics for areas of their game, but Bennett and Williams are capable of playing creative passes if they have runners ahead of the ball.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 80
moosey_club
January 10, 2021, 7:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,306
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Tommy
Whilst I agree that at times you can blame poor service, it isn't always the answer.

For instance,  against Cambridge, someone slipped a ball into him just inside the box, central to goal, but he was too slow to react and/or wasn't aware a defender would be covering round, and he failed to get a shot away. When in reality, it should have been a great chance to score. So by the stats, he didn't miss the chance, but it was because he was so poor he turned it from a chance, to nothing.

Sometimes its hard to criticise good strikers when the service is poor. Other times, the striker himself can just have a lack of good movement, lack of sharpness, lack of anticipation in the box, lack of ability to retain the ball in the opposition half to actually enable us to spend more time in the opposition half.

I realise the service hasn't been great for a lot of this season, but part of it is down to the strikers themselves. Particularly, in my opinion, with Green, who doesn't offer an outlet, gets beaten to his second touch by the defender and doesn't give us any movement in the final third.

I know they have their critics for areas of their game, but Bennett and Williams are capable of playing creative passes if they have runners ahead of the ball.

I think that has been the only genuine opportunity to score/shoot that has been served up for him for god knows how long.
I always remember thinking Andy Cole wasnt a very good striker in the Prem, would miss plenty of chances....but he played for two very attack minded sides and got plenty of service, his goal record was very good but his goal to chance ratio was probably pretty average.
Other strikers around at that time had a much better strike rate, probably not scoring as many but deadlier when they got the chance.
Green isnt getting 3-4-5 chances a game which he probably needs to bag one, he is getting 3 chances a month.
He needs chances, he needs support, he needs to play facing the goal not with his back to it or running channels.

Whilst conceding he isnt really what we need right now and yesterday I must admit he looked like a broken man out there I still maintain he isnt being really given a fair chance.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 80
Mariner_09
January 10, 2021, 9:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
@ing him in tweets is wrong but he is bobbins. I do struggle to see what he offers, yes he works very hard but that shouldn't be a compliment, it should be a prerequisite for a pro footballer. He can't play the Lenell John Lewis role of holding the ball up, linking the play, winning cheap free kicks (he gives away far too many of them for a start)! I assume his game was, once upon a time, based on pace, energy and movement but with age that appears to have gone with it. Simply stated, we need better, much better.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 80
golfer
January 10, 2021, 9:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
I'd sooner swop the Shop for Green even now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 80
Mariner_09
January 11, 2021, 12:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Lenny was a way better player than Green. He had more of an aerial presence and linked the play effectively, plus he was a greater goal threat which tells you all you need to know!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › It's time to lay off Matt Green

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.