Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Maybe PH can't entice anyone to BP next week...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 143 Guests

Maybe PH can't entice anyone to BP next week...

This thread currently has 8,447 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
January 10, 2021, 4:48am
Guest User
...who would you have starting v Southend next Saturday?

Play 442  - in 51 years supporting Town it's the only shape we've ever looked comfortable with.

Jackson    Pollock

Wright        Bennett            Spokes        Morais

Habergham    Hewitt         Waterfall        Hendrie                          

Macca

Forward line could be pure artistry  
gtfc_akpa_akpro
January 10, 2021, 4:54am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / -3
Approval: +104
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from 137

Play 442  - in 51 years supporting Town it's the only shape we've ever looked comfortable with.

Jackson    Pollock

Macca

You must be drunk

i would really like to know biccys favourite biscuit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 52
GollyGTFC
January 10, 2021, 6:54am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,056
Gold Stars: 358
Be positive...

New GK
Hendrie     Hewitt     New CB     Habergham
New RM     New CM     New CM     New LM
                   New CF      New CF

Subs: McKeown, Preston, Pollock, Morais, Clifton, Gibson, Jackson
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 52
OneLove
January 10, 2021, 7:02am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
Id go with Russell or recall Battersby in goal, CB Hewitt & Pollock, Hendrie & Habergham FBs
Morais & Wright on the flanks, Spokes & Starbuck CM
Up top Gibson & Bennett as a try out as sod all else is working up front.

Green making the brews at home as far away from BP as possible.

442 no dramas, hit your wings, no going backwards, be the aggressor and when stood about on corners, free kicks get your studs on the toes of any player near about a bit of sunday league roughness and show that you've got bolllocks to win everything.

Never forget playing sunday league and this striker i was defending against kept singing MC Hammer loudly which threw me out massively I had a nightmare against him, his singing put me off me game big time so each player could rehearse there own song as part of the tactic lmao.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 52
TwoLeftFeet
January 10, 2021, 7:51am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
                              Macca  

Hendrie    Waterfall    Hewitt    Habergham

Morais      Spokes     Clifton   Wright

Jackson    Hanson

Krystian Pearce ex Mansfield center back would be a good signing if possible always impressed me when played against us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 52
Mariner93er
January 10, 2021, 9:04am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
We’re all concentrating on new forwards and midfielders, but the fact remains that we currently have by far the worst defence in the league (conceded 7 more than Southend!). Think we really need a new first team centre back, and to be honest, I don’t think Pollock’s first team spot is safe at the minute.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 52
GollyGTFC
January 10, 2021, 9:08am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,056
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from Mariner93er
We’re all concentrating on new forwards and midfielders, but the fact remains that we currently have by far the worst defence in the league (conceded 7 more than Southend!). Think we really need a new first team centre back, and to be honest, I don’t think Pollock’s first team spot is safe at the minute.

You start defending from the front. If the striker/strikers aren't pressing anyone & the midfielders aren't winning second balls, tracking runners & generally protecting the defence it's hardly surprising we are conceding shed loads of goals.

We do have a lack of pace at centre-back, but a solid midfield pairing and wingers who will track back and help the full-back (especially down our left side) would be a huge improvement.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 52
forza ivano
January 10, 2021, 12:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from GollyGTFC

You start defending from the front. If the striker/strikers aren't pressing anyone & the midfielders aren't winning second balls, tracking runners & generally protecting the defence it's hardly surprising we are conceding shed loads of goals.

We do have a lack of pace at centre-back, but a solid midfield pairing and wingers who will track back and help the full-back (especially down our left side) would be a huge improvement.

you ain't going to do that when you have bennett and green playing - it's like playing with 9 men defensively speaking.add rose and williams into the mix and you've got absolutely no chance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 52
pizzzza
January 10, 2021, 12:21pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,721
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from 137

Jackson    Pollock

Macca

You were very optimistic in expecting to land a Jackson Pollock reference on The Fishy
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 52
grimsby pete
January 10, 2021, 12:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
There are so many area's that Hurst needs to improve.

Goalkeeper is the main one for his last few games he has played in Macca  might as well not be there.

We are making other teams look good as they pass the ball about with ease , can't anybody tackle ?

No creativity in midfield and no striker who knows how to put the ball in the net.

I feel sorry for Paul how he can improve this lot I have no idea apart from replacing 7 or 8 of them.

I try not to post just after a game and leave it until the next day after I have calmed down.

You should have seen what I had composed last night which I thought no better not put that on the fishy.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 52
KingstonMariner
January 10, 2021, 4:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pizzzza

You were very optimistic in expecting to land a Jackson Pollock reference on The Fishy

I think that was the real reason for that selection. That’s the way my mind works at least building up to a Dad Joke.

I can’t now say that front line is Jackson Pollocks.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 52
GY1
January 10, 2021, 6:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 137

Jackson    Pollock

Macca

Thinking outside the box, that's what I like to see! Pollock flicking on long balls for Jackson, winning set pieces, holding up play. After all he is our leading scorer! Can't do any worse.

Failing that they could sell a few paintings and make town a bit of money so we can afford a few quality players?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 52
Wrawby_Mariner
January 10, 2021, 7:01pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
I don't get this 'put Pollock up top' thing. He's a centre half and coincidently our top-scorer on the basis that our forwards aren't doing what that they're paid probably more than you, you or I to do.

Let's not forget we have the worst defence in the league, let the poor lad concentrate on correcting our defensive failures before we think he can be the next Jack Lester.

There are enough free agents out there alone of quality to improve this team alone, Habergham is a prime example of this. Let us just wait and see. PH has pulled off some real surprises over the years, If no movement has been by this coming Saturday then we should reassess the situation.

Lets not panic, panic buying and a lack of research got us into this situation in the first place.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 12 - 52
GY1
January 10, 2021, 7:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
I don't get this 'put Pollock up top' thing. He's a centre half and coincidently our top-scorer on the basis that our forwards aren't doing what that they're paid probably more than you, you or I to do.

Let's not forget we have the worst defence in the league, let the poor lad concentrate on correcting our defensive failures before we think he can be the next Jack Lester.

There are enough free agents out there alone of quality to improve this team alone, Habergham is a prime example of this. Let us just wait and see. PH has pulled off some real surprises over the years, If no movement has been by this coming Saturday then we should reassess the situation.

Lets not panic, panic buying and a lack of research got us into this situation in the first place.

Tongue in cheek Wrawby, tongue in cheek.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 52
lee65
January 10, 2021, 8:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
I’ll admit I missed the pun at first, but that says a lot about our forward line,  because my first thought wasn’t “nice joke”, rather, could be worth a try if you swapped Jackson for Gibson!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 52
arryarryarry
January 10, 2021, 10:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner

We can't put the future of our Football League status in jeopardy by keep signing players that haven't played for months. Morais looks a good player but can't last 90 minutes, Habergham nearly cost us a goal shortly after he came on then was completely fooked by their 3rd goal, way out of position and was never fit enough to catch the winger.

We need players who can play straight away and last a full game.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 52
diehardmariner
January 11, 2021, 10:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Laughed too much at people taking the Pollock up front suggestion serious!  

Very nicely done OP!

Golly sums it up perfectly, we need to defend from the front and we need to get some goals.  Attacking options have to the priority.  We're poor in defence and midfield, we're absolutely abysmal in attack.

In all honesty I don't want to even consider going into the next game without some quality additions.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 52
devs
January 11, 2021, 12:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Jackson Pollock - pure class!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 52
devs
January 11, 2021, 12:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Macca
Hendrie - Hewitt - Pollock - Habergham
Morais - Spokes - Rose - Bennett
Gibson Jackson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 52
lee65
January 11, 2021, 4:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Quoted from devs
Macca
Gibson Jackson

totally agree with this if no new signings, with Wright to bring on after the hour mark?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 52
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 11, 2021, 5:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,311
Gold Stars: 309
If we did have Jackson (and) Pollock up front we could be expected to spray it round and make some interesting shapes.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 52
RonMariner
January 11, 2021, 5:48pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,849
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from devs
Macca
Gibson Jackson

Macca needs to be dropped. he is a liability.

Otherwise its probably the best we can muster if Wright is not fit enough to start.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 52
arryarryarry
January 11, 2021, 6:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from diehardmariner
Laughed too much at people taking the Pollock up front suggestion serious!  

Very nicely done OP!

Golly sums it up perfectly, we need to defend from the front and we need to get some goals.  Attacking options have to the priority.  We're poor in defence and midfield, we're absolutely abysmal in attack.

In all honesty I don't want to even consider going into the next game without some quality additions.

Having seen every game you only have to look at the goals we have conceded that at times we are abysmal in defence and the word abysmal doesn't even come close to describing our midfield.

The priority must be bringing in players to cover all areas of the pitch even goalkeeper.

The only point I would add is at the start of a game the score is nil nil and if we keep it at that we have a point as it is currently we can't keep a clean sheet.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 52
TAGG
January 11, 2021, 6:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Do ye think Town as a club has a reputation in the footballing world for being minge bags as far as player wages are concerned and this puts players and agents off coming here??

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 52
Meza
January 11, 2021, 6:41pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,649
Gold Stars: 50
This is the team i would select.

Macca - I dont think he was 100% in the last game, but this is probably his worse season with us since he has been here purely, still a solid keeper for me.

RB - Hendrie
CB - Pollock
CB - Hewitt
LB - Harbergham
CM - Rose
CM - Spokes
ACM - Williams if not injured else Morias and have Wright as RW
LW - Jackson Jnr
RW - Morias
CF - Gibson

Macca

Hendrie       Hewitt        Pollock    Harbergham

Spokes         Rose

Wright           Williams / Morias          Jackson Jnr
Morias    

Gibson

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 52
Squinter
January 11, 2021, 6:42pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
Do you think PH might be struggling to bring loan players in due to Covid ?  When a few teams are having to put out their under 23's, maybe Prem / Championship clubs don't want to let anybody go out on loan now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 52
Poojah
January 11, 2021, 6:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,780
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from Squinter
Do you think PH might be struggling to bring loan players in due to Covid ?  When a few teams are having to put out their under 23's, maybe Prem / Championship clubs don't want to let anybody go out on loan now.

That would make sense wouldn’t it? Given that we live in times when club’s could be forced to be without 10 or more first team players at any moment, the idea of letting a handful of your most promising youngsters out on loan makes a lot of sense.

Hurst has said he was mainly looking at permanent signings which I thought was odd given where we are in the league, but perhaps that’s why.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 52
diehardmariner
January 12, 2021, 9:35am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Having seen every game you only have to look at the goals we have conceded that at times we are abysmal in defence and the word abysmal doesn't even come close to describing our midfield.

The priority must be bringing in players to cover all areas of the pitch even goalkeeper.

The only point I would add is at the start of a game the score is nil nil and if we keep it at that we have a point as it is currently we can't keep a clean sheet.

But that's a huge gamble to go into games with, especially every game. If we ground out 0-0's for the rest of the season that would leave us on 43 points.  Not convinced that would be enough to stay up.  Without any attacking threat, if you go 1-0 down early doors your game plan is out the window straight away.  Not to mention that if you've got a threat, you're defending from the front.  Our lack of threat encourages full backs to push further forward and centre backs to bring the ball forward.  We're over run in midfield because we have no press on the front foot.

Don't get me wrong, I agree, everywhere is a priority for improvement.  Without improvements in every area of the pitch we will go down, no doubt about that.  Be it signings or improvements on the training ground, we must improve dramatically.  But I firmly believe addressing the lack of any sense of a threat will have a greater impact on our survival than any other position on the pitch.  Sorting the defence won't suddenly make us more of a goal threat, whereas addressing the attack will impact at both ends of the pitch (in my opinion).
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 52
diehardmariner
January 12, 2021, 9:38am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

That would make sense wouldn’t it? Given that we live in times when club’s could be forced to be without 10 or more first team players at any moment, the idea of letting a handful of your most promising youngsters out on loan makes a lot of sense.

Hurst has said he was mainly looking at permanent signings which I thought was odd given where we are in the league, but perhaps that’s why.

This is where my train of thought is.  The transfer market is flat as a pancake at the minute.  I think there's also the factor of clubs worrying about signing anyone if the season gets curtailed, they're effectively adding a wage onto their books for no benefit at all.   You normally need a couple of transfer to happen to get the wheels moving for everyone else.

Didn't pick up on Hurst saying about permanent signings, which is interesting to say the least.  With the greater threat of the Conference shutting down I wonder if we might be dipping into there to pick up players.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 52
Jarmo.Is.God
January 12, 2021, 10:22am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
I think the only hope i'm holding on to at the moment, is Scannell as CAM, as the few games before his injury, he really did look very good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 52
LocalLadGTFC
January 12, 2021, 10:38am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 140
I'd drop Pollock over Waterfall if i'm honest, Hewitt and Waterfall looked good together and Pollock has been terrible since the news broke over PL interest.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 52
Nutsy
January 12, 2021, 10:50am
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +158
Gold Stars: 5
Is there any news on when we might expect Scannell back?

He is far and away the difference maker in this team.

Between him and Morais anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
Poojah
January 12, 2021, 10:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,780
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from Nutsy

Back in training I believe, should be available for Scunny if not Southend this weekend.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
Gainsbro_Mariner
January 12, 2021, 10:56am

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,459
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Nutsy

Hurst said on his BBC sound bite last week that he was back in training and was doing bits but was mainly training away from the team. Not sure if they are having him focus on fitness or whether that could  mean something else.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
Nutsy
January 12, 2021, 11:05am
Snakebite drinker
Thanks for letting me know both of you.

I'd love to thump Scunny with the triumvirate of Scannell-Hanson-Morais !!!!!!

Pipe dream, but 7 years ago that would have been a Championship attack easily!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 12, 2021, 11:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
Embleton isn’t anywhere near getting in the team at Sunderland! Could he be an answer for us?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
Nutsy
January 12, 2021, 11:09am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Embleton isn’t anywhere near getting in the team at Sunderland! Could he be an answer for us?

I would take Embleton in a heartbeat

If he isn't getting in at Sunderland, he would certainly have suitors in better positions than us imo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
Mariner_09
January 12, 2021, 11:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Attracting players to NE Lincs isn't a new problem but when you throw in our general current s**tness it must become a nigh on impossible task. The only solution is having to pay over the odds for players and we know Hursty doesn't like breaking the wage structure.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
Jarmo.Is.God
January 12, 2021, 11:42am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Nutsy

I would take Embleton in a heartbeat

If he isn't getting in at Sunderland, he would certainly have suitors in better positions than us imo

I think you're right.

Robson was also very good, but Embleton was a class above.

With Robson playing for Blackpool in league 1, i think Embleton is more than capable of playing at that level
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
barrattstandman
January 12, 2021, 11:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 17
Embleton is getting games . Count him out .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 52
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
January 12, 2021, 11:49am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from Mariner_09
Attracting players to NE Lincs isn't a new problem but when you throw in our general current s**tness it must become a nigh on impossible task. The only solution is having to pay over the odds for players and we know Hursty doesn't like breaking the wage structure.

on the flip side in these unusual times, players on the periphery of other l1, 2 and national league clubs who's contracts expire this year might not fancy the risk of being out of contract in these times might come here for an 18 month deal, just you'd only want to offer that to low risk players
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 52
Gainsbro_Mariner
January 12, 2021, 11:53am

Champagne Drinker

on the flip side in these unusual times, players on the periphery of other l1, 2 and national league clubs who's contracts expire this year might not fancy the risk of being out of contract in these times might come here for an 18 month deal, just you'd only want to offer that to low risk players

That maybe our saving grace in all honesty. Players wanting to be in a contract. Hopefully we will see a few new faces this week.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 52
Zmariner
January 12, 2021, 12:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I think that was the real reason for that selection. That’s the way my mind works at least building up to a Dad Joke.

I can’t now say that front line is Jackson Pollocks.

As a dad, I fully endorse this approach and this is exactly how I would put together a joke. In fact I would be really pleased with this one utm
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 52
Zmariner
January 12, 2021, 12:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Zmariner

As a dad, I fully endorse this approach and this is exactly how I would put together a joke. In fact I would be really pleased with this one utm

Only bettered by my all time favourite when we signed the Swedish players where somebody said we could play with a flat pack 4
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 52
Azimuth
January 12, 2021, 12:31pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +709
Gold Stars: 61
Nearly half way through January and we have signed one player who is recovering from a very serious injury, anyone else worried by our seemingly incapable squad, lack of reinforcments and perilous position?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 52
ginnywings
January 12, 2021, 12:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Just had a look on the BBC sport transfers page and there are very few happening at the moment, so we are not the only ones who are not very busy. I expect it to get busier as the month progresses, as is usually the case. Teams will bring players in before they let players out, so the log jam needs clearing before it starts to move with any speed.

I know folk are desperate for reinforcement before our games against relegation rivals, but we need to get the right ones, not just bring some in because they are available.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 52
Jarmo.Is.God
January 12, 2021, 12:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Azimuth
Nearly half way through January and we have signed one player who is recovering from a very serious injury, anyone else worried by our seemingly incapable squad, lack of reinforcments and perilous position?

I would of been, but then i think about IH signing every player in the planet, and remembering that sometimes, you have to wait for the best players

don't forget Hurst also has the job of clearing out players aswell
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 52
monkeyboy
January 12, 2021, 12:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
we need 1 central defender, 4 midfielders and a striker that can hold the ball up.

Bye to Green, Hanson. Rose, Clifton , Bennet. Preston, Tilley, Sisay.

Williams not sure on yet, needs a run of games.

Spokes looked decent. only here till end of season.

We need Scannel back.

Gibson isnt a finisher and maybe better suited to the wing or behind Striker.

Jackson given the service could be devastating as i see him as a good finisher. just needs quality service.

Macca probably making mistakes in part due to what he has playing in front of him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 52
Gainsbro_Mariner
January 12, 2021, 1:03pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Azimuth

Not worried as such, as I know lots is being done to bring players in behind the scenes and I am confident Hursty will be doing all he can to put new faces in the team.

I will start to worry if we haven't made anymore or enough signings leading into the final day or two of the window. That's going to be the worst case scenario as then you know that there is potential for bringing players to the club for the sake of it.

Whoever needs to come needs to be fit, in good form, up for a fight, experienced and capable. It needs to be the complete opposite to Holloway's recruitment policy which seemingly was anyone who has scored over 20 goals for any random Non League side or anyone available on loan to League Two clubs from higher divisions.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 52
HertsGTFC
January 12, 2021, 1:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
I trust Hurst on this in that he'll bring in the best he can in terms of attitude and their ability to play in league 2. If they come of they come off, quite often January feels a bit hit and miss in terms of successful signings. Also as we know the activity doesn't warm up until the last 10 days.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 52
January 12, 2021, 2:16pm
Guest User
if the Northern prem league is null and void, can we not get the leaders Mickleover as a job lot. they know how to score and win.
Reply: 50 - 52
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 12, 2021, 2:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
I’d expect someone in today tbh

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 52
Boris Johnson
January 12, 2021, 3:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I’d expect someone in today tbh

John Lowe, and Leighton Rees is what Ive heared
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 52
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Maybe PH can't entice anyone to BP next week...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.