Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Most Embarrassing GTFC Moments
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 140 Guests

Most Embarrassing GTFC Moments

This thread currently has 15,762 views. Print
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
January 15, 2021, 12:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
A gobsmacking indictment of the way this club has been mismanaged. The majority of examples from the last 16 years.

We should print the list off and send it to the board room with  a note to say 'This is your legacy'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 153
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 15, 2021, 12:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Being the first club in the 'second division' to go out of the FA Cup in the first round.

Getting hammered on Boxing Day at Barnsley in the pouring rain on an open stand only to discover that the players had had a massive Christmas Eve party at Crofty's and were all still getting over it.

Blundell Park - it's an embarrassment.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 153
TownSNAFU5
January 15, 2021, 12:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,906
Gold Stars: 42
Having a"Chairman" who is formally "Not the Chairman", "Chairman", but behaved as the Chairman still.

An anecdote from just before WW2, or during the start of WW2". Grimsby drew a match in a cup competion.  There was no time to arrange a replay.  The Cup Organisers awarded the tie to our opponents on the basis of an assessment:

"Grimsby would probably have the lost the replay anyway".  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 153
diehardmariner
January 15, 2021, 12:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from Les Brechin
THAT day at Burton.

Firstly the performance of the team on the pitch. I know we would have gone down even if we'd won but the majority of the players played like they couldn't give a toss.

Then the actions of our so-called "fans" after the game. I was certainly embarrassed to be a Town fan that day.

Aye, very difficult to argue with that.  

But for the vast majority of these moments, there's a very common theme running through them all...

Not sure if they've been listed already but just to add:

Our chairman waving like a madman on the touchline to get the game against Rushden & Diamonds called off due to fog.

Our chairman taking the Play Off Trophy in his (presumably not yet scratched) car to the service station on the way to the FA Trophy final, practically sprawling across his bonnet for photos with it in the worst emulation of a Max Power show I've ever seen.

But I think the most cringeworthy moment of the football club has to revolve around a former board member demanding he get some time on the pitch in a competitive fixture...
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 153
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 15, 2021, 12:21pm
Champagne Drinker
I'm on a roll now...

Any team Nicky Law put out.

Mike Lyons starting games as a striker.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 153
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 15, 2021, 12:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Having a"Chairman" who is formally "Not the Chairman", "Chairman", but behaved as the Chairman still.

An anecdote from just before WW2, or during the start of WW2". Grimsby drew a match in a cup competion.  There was no time to arrange a replay.  The Cup Organisers awarded the tie to our opponents on the basis of an assessment:

"Grimsby would probably have the lost the replay anyway".  

I've never heard that before, it is true it is f*cking brilliant! Thank you for sharing that. It made me laugh.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 153
diehardmariner
January 15, 2021, 12:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Selling Danny (forget surname) because we would not offer about £50 a week more.  He had a very good career at Palace.

Butterfield.

If only we had sold him....

Summer of 2001, Palace made a bid of £1million.  Which we rejected.

Over the course of the next 12 months we failed to make a single offer to renew his contract.  As Butterfield was under 24, the ruling at the time was that to make sure we would receive compensation if he left, we had to evidence we had made an offer to improve his contract.  Even if it was by 1p.

Butterfield was hot property and was always going to leave.  The club decided it wasn't worth trying to keep him so didn't make a single offer to better his contract.  Not even a gesture offer.  Palace picked up him up a on freebie.

Butterfield then went onto miss just a single game in the next two seasons, culminating in Palace reaching the Premier League.  At the same time we had just completed back-to-back relegations into the fourth tier...
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 153
LH
January 15, 2021, 12:29pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,605
Gold Stars: 175
Quite a specific time frame for most of these isn’t there?
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 153
KingstonMariner
January 15, 2021, 12:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mallyner

I once heard that JF had complained that his wife took a week to hoover the lounge. So, either he has a massive lounge or she is a Slovak.  

😆 I’m having that one! My wife’s friend is Slovakian so I’ve got the perfect excuse to use it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 153
Azimuth
January 15, 2021, 1:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +709
Gold Stars: 61
This is one of the most entertaining threads I have ever read on the fishy, if you didnt laugh you would cry or worse.
What happened with "the orange" ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 153
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Most Embarrassing GTFC Moments

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.