Marinerdeano
March 29, 2021, 7:36pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from DB

Most on this forum more or less agreed that the players Hurst brought in are no better than what we had, Eastwood and Mayenese being the exceptions. Many posts ago it was suggested that Hurst was in a win, win position. If we go down it's not his fault and if we stay up he's a hero.

I was replying to a post about the lack of quality of the team. Can you name the players, as you suggest, "were prepared to sign for a club in absolute freefall"?. I like hundreds on here contribute to player's wages through ifollow. You are suggesting they have come for wages etc. and not the benefit of the club.

If this is the case then Hurst should kick them out NOW.

Macca - playing better as a result of Eastwood
Eastwood - good capture
Hendrie - playing better under Hurst although the odd poor performance
Hewitt - phenomenal under Hurst
Menayesse - an improvement and Hurst has improved him even further
Habergham - clearly a good player but gamble based on fitness but probably best option available
Clifton - playing for the shirt despite out of position
Morais - playing well under Hurst but injury
Matete - massive improvement
El Mazouni - glimpses but injured
Coke - improvement
Rose - playing better under Hurst
Spokes - seemingly being well coached by Hurst
Lamy - looks to add something
Adams - got some class but not enough minutes as yet
Williams - a bit of Hurst tough love and beginning to look better for it.
Jackson - fits and starts
Hanson - clearly plays for Hurst and taken a few games but looking good
Shop - ok missed half of his chances but has scored some too. Improvement
Payne - yet to be convinced but adds more than Green or Gibson

This team old and new players personal/attitude/resistance/group mentality whatever it is are an improvement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 49
RonMariner
March 29, 2021, 7:42pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,846
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Marinerdeano

Eastwood - good capture
Habergham - clearly a good player but gamble based on fitness but probably best option available
Coke - improvement

This team old and new players personal/attitude/resistance/group mentality whatever it is are an improvement.

Performances have improved, and we are obviously harder to beat now. But we don't create enough chances and anyway, the improvement has been too little and too gradual to save us.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 49
DB
March 29, 2021, 7:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Marinerdeano

Eastwood - good capture
Coke - improvement

Hurst said "It's a mess". Anything is an improvement, too little, too late and "players personal/attitude/resistance/group mentality" stopped after they scored on Saturday.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 49
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
March 29, 2021, 8:06pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +880
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from DB
If this is the case then Hurst should kick them out NOW.

Unfortunately as they are all still under contract he can't do that unless the club buys up the contracts which they won't do.

But I think Hurst has already made his choices on who is staying and who is going. You only have to look at who is consistently being left out of the team, or those who randomly appear on the subs bench due to player injuries elsewhere.

Unfortunately Hanson seems to be the flavour of the month currently but Green seems to be one of the forgotten ones. I think even though Williams has made a couple of cameos he will be out the door, and hopefully 'hoofer' Waterfall too
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 49
DB
March 29, 2021, 8:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Unfortunately as they are all still under contract he can't do that unless the club buys up the contracts which they won't do.

But I think Hurst has already made his choices on who is staying and who is going. You only have to look at who is consistently being left out of the team, or those who randomly appear on the subs bench due to player injuries elsewhere.

Unfortunately Hanson seems to be the flavour of the month currently but Green seems to be one of the forgotten ones. I think even though Williams has made a couple of cameos he will be out the door, and hopefully 'hoofer' Waterfall too

Because they have a contract doesn't mean he has to use them, merely they have to be paid. I agree about favourites and it has to be seen who they are. Certainly, he prefers some over others, even those who put a good performance in. As you say Hanson is Hurst's man and I don't see why. No.9 and hardly scored, his 2 goals since January have both been very lucky and needed little if any skill.

Still, Hurst is the consortiums man so we will have to wait and see what happens.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 49
lee65
March 29, 2021, 9:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Les Brechin

What about "A Connell moment" though. Admittedly that was against poorer oppostion but there were many times I can remember when he'd just pull a goal out of nowhere.

Yes, fair point re Connell Les. I was using Clive I guess as I think he was one of the best I can remember at finding that few seconds of magic to win a game out of nowhere   , to be fair Reddy, quick Mick, Oster, and Ivano are worth a mention too (I’m sure there must be a few others)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 49
louth_in_the_south
March 29, 2021, 9:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,711
Gold Stars: 96
I’d expect Hanson to hang up his boots at the end of the season. He’s way way past his sell by date .
As for the rest I’m worried we’ll end up nearer the bottom of the NL than the top with them . Half of them are sub standard NL players and those that are probably just about L2 level are more than likely to leave . There’s only 4 or 5 at best that fall into that category and some of them are loanees anyway .
I can’t imagine it’ll cost the new owners a lot to pay off the rubbish and start afresh .
FWIW I’d only keep Spokes out of the young lads signed last summer . He’s definitely got potential...a big step up showed but he looks like there’s a player in there .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 49
Azimuth
March 30, 2021, 10:13pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +709
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from DB

Hurst said "It's a mess". Anything is an improvement, too little, too late and "players personal/attitude/resistance/group mentality" stopped after they scored on Saturday.

Hurst did say "its a mess" but we  are in a worse position now than when he made that statement, considerably worse and fast becoming cut off at the foot of the table.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 49
mimma
March 30, 2021, 10:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Wouldn"t say we are worse, just in a worse position.  Hurst has had to put a full team together and get them playing, some task given the time he's had in the January transfer window. Look at Bolton, they were just above us at one point, until they got it together and went on a winning streak. It took them the best part of half the season before they started playing and winning. Instant success is a rare commodity in football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 49
DB
March 30, 2021, 10:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Azimuth

Hurst did say "its a mess" but we  are in a worse position now than when he made that statement, considerably worse and fast becoming cut off at the foot of the table.

Many will agree with you,
on the other hand, Hurst supporters will put up a robust case.
This has been debated many times and Hurst will be the manager next season, regardless of which league we are in.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Our run in

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.